Brewer Fanatic

Yankees release Mike Rivera

jjkoestler

The Yankees released Mike Rivera after signing..... wait for it ...... Chad Moeller. Yikes.
That would have worked 2 days ago.....seriously?? This is true? Wow. What does Rivera have to do? And why is Chad Moeller so coveted? Government conspiracy?

Well, with Jorge Posada being less than stellar defensively these days, I can understand the Yankees not wanting to keep him around. Moeller (still) can't hit a lick, but he still has the reputation of being a decent defensive veteran catcher, and that'll keep you on someone's roster for awhile.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Cervelli is the Yanks' MLB backup, this is AAA depth
You're right; I had forgotten about Cervelli.

Moeller was with the Yankees in 2008 in a similar capacity, so it makes sense that they'd be more comfortable with him in that role than Rivera once they saw Baltimore released him earlier this week.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Why can't this guy stick on with a major league team? It was fun to watch a catcher actually get a hit once Kendall came out of the game last year
I think you're remembering 2008, when he was unbelievably productive. Rivera wasn't very good at all in 2009.

If Mike Rivera is still revered here, Gregg Zaun's going to be a huge hit. The reality is that Jason Kendall just made Mike Rivera look good.
well when the starting catcher OPS's at a .636 clip, its pretty easy to make somebody else look good

Rivera gets out 70% of the time. He is an offensive C whose only skill is a bit of extra-base pop.

He's AAA fodder.

Rivera had 374 plate appearences over 4 seasons with the Brewers and hit .260/.333/.423 with 11 HR and 55 RBI. That's certainly worthy of a modicum of respect as a decent major league backup catcher, not just in comparison to Kendall but certainly to Moeller (and virtually every Brewer backup over the last decade) who as a Brewer took 669 plate appearences to drive in 55 runs and hit .204/.257/.319.

So why continue to trash him? Because he's not the most athletic looking guy?

I can't be the only one who read the thread title and for a split-second thought they released the "other" Rivera. You know, the "good" one?

I'm kind of surprised, really. I'd think he could be at least as useful as Moeller.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Why can't this guy stick on with a major league team? It was fun to watch a catcher actually get a hit once Kendall came out of the game last year

Because he's simply not that good. A good offensive catcher as compared to Jason Kendall doesn't mean he's still a good offensive catcher as compared to the league average.

Rivera to me was always a very poor catcher who had two things going for him.

1-He was in Milwaukee;

2-He had good numbers in a very small amount of games.

I mean the guy can sure run into one if he squares up, but his overall offensive game is just sub par.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

A good offensive catcher as compared to Jason Kendall doesn't mean he's still a good offensive catcher as compared to the league average.
From 2006-2009, the duration of Rivera's Brewers career, NL catchers hit .259/.324/.396; Rivera's neutralized line over that time span was .255/.328/.419. Yes, it was only 374 plate appearances in aggregate, but nevertheless, Rivera was an above-average offensive catcher for the Brewers.

A good offensive catcher as compared to Jason Kendall doesn't mean he's still a good offensive catcher as compared to the league average.
From 2006-2009, the duration of Rivera's Brewers career, NL catchers hit .259/.324/.396; Rivera's neutralized line over that time span was .255/.328/.419. Yes, it was only 374 plate appearances in aggregate, but nevertheless, Rivera was an above-average offensive catcher for the Brewers.

Yeah, but again, as you said, 374 PA's.

Most of that damage was done in one season.

I suppose part of the problem in my mind is the last year he got regular playing time he put up a .215/.270/.421 line....in AAA.

He's a slow, poor defensive catcher who doesn't draw walks and occasionally can run into one. I don't see much to like about him.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived