Brewer Fanatic

My greatest day was when the Brewers released ___________!

pmg4

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow so many to choose from. I'll stick to just the last decade.

Bill Hall. I never liked the guy and would get into arguments with friends, family, and people on this site about him all the time. Remember the "Can Bill Hall Pitch" thread? My goodness how I despised that thread and constantly had to keep myself from posting something hateful in that lovefest. I didn't like anything about his game: I thought his defense was vastly over rated, I hated how he would walk out of the box when he thought he tagged one, I hated that he couldn't run the bases, and it drove me nuts when he went to the outfield and missed the cut off man or threw to the wrong base letting runners advance. After all, how could you be the cut off man all those years then move to the outfield and not know what to do? It boggled my mind.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

My greatest days as a Brewers fan tend to focus on the positives. Players come and go.

Macha leaving won't mean much really unless it means a different approach in the hiring of managers.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If you want to get technical, Hall and Sanchez were traded, and de los Santos' contract was sold. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I have followed the Brewers since the days of "the big three".... still pissed at Bando for breaking up the trio in 1992... though statistically, 20 years later, old Jimmy Boy sure had no power

My most hated Brewers:

Stubbs

Carr

Navarro (both times)

John Snyder

Sanchez

Mouton Croutons

Mark Newfield

Jose K

Billy "can't hit" Hall

Ricky Bones

Braden Looper

Johnny "never take a walk" Estrada

Ned Yost

Jeffery Hammonds

Grissom

whoever was the ****** that we got from the cubs and immediately wanted to break Listach's record... (ah yes, Eric Young)

Wow, i could make a list of players, miles long...

Might be easier to make a list of players I continue to have 100% loyalty to:

Brooks K

Podzilla

Braunie

Hardy

Jaha

Surhoff

Eldred... well, until he sucked

Burnie

Daryl Hamilton

Kenny Lofton (err, wait, we screwed that one up... who's idea was it to bring in Marquis again?

Coffey

Fetters

the "legendary" Vinny Rottino... actually he was rubbish

now that i think about it, six miller lites later, i actually miss Mouton Croutons

I should add, that i can remember the debate about not wanting to trade Mark Loretta in 2000 to the Toronto Blue Jays because we couldn't possibly trade "our captain" or the guy who accepted the American Flag at the closing ceremony of county stadium.

I love Miller Park, but part of me misses those 5,000 crowds on a weekday in April with the 30 degree overcast weather and high winds. okay, maybe not, but atleast club seats were still about $15 back then...

Chad Moeller or Rubin Quevedo.

He was toppin out around 80mph his last few starts.

Also Navarro's 2nd stint with the Brewers I was at his last start before he was dumped. I think it was against the Mets and Nomo owned us and Jaime got shelled.

This is easy . . . CHAD MOELLER !!

Ha. I remember that. The Brewers had just beaten the Cubs 2-0. Got back to the car, turned on the radio and Powell broke the news. I screamed yes!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The greatest day for me was when Sal Bando resigned. The second greatest day - actually I guess it's tied for greatest day - was the day Wendy Selig Prieb was no longer associated with the team.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't know if it was my greatest day, but I was pleased when the Brewers traded Jose Capellan, about a week after I requested his departure here on Brewerfan.

I was vehemently against the reacquisition of Jaime Navarro (I believe I characterized the transaction as "fool me twice, shame on me"), and was accordingly happy when he was released.

Possibly my single happiest moment involving an ex-Brewer was finding out of Mike DeJean's trade to St. Louis in 2003. For a year or two prior, I had been keeping a "DeJeanometer" rating system which gave Mike positive points for a save and negative points for a blown save. The number of points depended on whether I was at the game, watching or listening to it live, or hearing about the game after the fact, and it had a Cubs multiplier (so the worst score Mustard Man could get would be if he blew a save against the Cubs at a game I attended - which I believe happened a few times, and was probably what prompted me to adopt the system.)

Anyway, a friend of mine who is an STL fan enjoyed my DeJeanometer updates. We each heard about the trade at the same moment, and the resulting phone call was very satisfying. It involved much laughter from me.

After Guillermo Mota got the ball rolling on blowing that 5-run lead at Arizona in July 2008, I actually stopped riding the route 58 bus here in Madison for over a month, because I was mad at him. I called it my Motatorium. Had he been released then, I would have been happy. But Mota did eventually right the ship enough to gain some of my respect, specifically when he got the Brewers out of a bases-loaded jam in the extra-innings win over Pittsburgh in August 2008.

So, not all releases, but I think these examples maintain the spirit of the original post.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I am absolutely stupified that Gary Sheffield's name hasn't been mentioned yet. I know he was traded and that, but the thread has been trended toward the all hated Brewers players instead and he is Brewer enemy number one. It's not even close as to whom number two would be.

I was sad and frustrated about the Sheffield trade. We finally had a real live blue chipper and he had to be traded for less than value because he was a jag. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Ned Yost. I felt that he had managed the Brewers out of the playoffs the previous season, and after that Philly series he looked like he was about to do it again. I know it was a controversial move, but it was absolutely an astute choice by Melvin/Attanasio. And I wasn't blaming him for bad performance of the players. He routinely made moves that statistically decreased the Brewers chances of winning games.

It was a "where were you when Kennedy was shot" type of moment for me. I remember sitting in a staff meeting at work when one of my coworkers showed me the Brewers text update on his phone. After work, I hopped on my bike and rode to Miller Park to buy tickets for the next series. And on my way, I called my dad and said "did you hear the good news?"

now that i think about it, six miller lites later, i actually miss Mouton Croutons
it took you 6 Miller Lites to come up with that list?? THAT'S dedication! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived