Brewer Fanatic

Vernon Wells

Oldcity

His name has been tossed around in a few different threads, so I thought I'd create one all to himself. He's fallen off in recent years, but he had a very solid 2006. Obviously he'd be an upgrade anywhere in the Brewers' outfield, but how much should the Brewers give up for him?

Wells makes $5.6 million next year, a salary that he outperformed in '06. But he's in the final year of his contract. Which leads to a few questions...

How much is he worth for what could only be a few months with the Crew? If they get him, do they trade him at the deadline? Do they try to re-sign him? Like Lee, I imagine he'd opt for free agency. Unlike they would with Wells, the Brewers had Lee for two years.

My thinking is that the Blue Jays would be better off holding on to him and trying to negotiate an extension by the deadline. I don't see them getting equal value. Either way, is he someone Melvin should really try to pursue? And if so, what would be a fair offer?

Archived