Brewer Fanatic

Parra to the Mariners

Not something that I would like to see happen but it looks as though the Mariners are looking for some pitching and no they wouldn't be looking to trade for Suppan.

If the Brewers were to trade Parra to the Mariners who could they get in return for Parra? I am not sure the Brewers would get much and I don't believe Melvin will even consider trading Parra unless Melvin is blown away by a deal from the Mariners for Parra. From Rosenthal and Morosi.

Milwaukee left-hander Manny Parra is an intriguing possibility, although a separate source said the Brewers haven’t discussed him with other clubs.

The Brewers and Mariners are natural trade partners because Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik was a longtime scouting director for Milwaukee. He drafted Parra in 2001 and is still high on him now, despite a 6.36 ERA in the majors last year.

Parra, 27, is unlikely to make the Brewers’ rotation. Jeff Suppan, owed $12.5 million this year, performed well in his most recent spring outing and will be given every opportunity to become the No. 5 starter. Chris Narveson, another candidate, has had a great spring.

Parra could still make the club as a reliever, so there isn’t much incentive for Milwaukee to trade him.

This sounds like pure speculation by the writers, with no source. There's just no reason for the Brewers to trade him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Milwaukee left-hander Manny Parra is an intriguing possibility, although a separate source said the Brewers haven’t discussed him with other clubs.

Parra could still make the club as a reliever, so there isn’t much incentive for Milwaukee to trade him.

This sounds like pure speculation by the writers, with no source. There's just no reason for the Brewers to trade him.

It is but it is something intriguing to look at and discuss.

There's just no reason to trade him.

If you think Narveson deserves a spot in the rotation and you don't think Parra is suited for the bullpen there is. Obviously you don't give him away, but for the last 1 1/2 seasons, he's not been a capable major league starting pitcher.

As for who you'd get back? Well, Michael Saunders would be my target. Might not be able to pry him away for just Parra though. Brewers need to start lining up guys as replacement for Hart.

saunders would be ok, i dont see a need for an outfielder though, since we've got schafer, cain, kentrail davis, ect.(no real shortage of outfielders). i'd target mike pineda or dan cortes. pineda put up good numbers in A+ and cortes has a decient k rate. a big league ready pitcher could get pineda and maybe a little more.

If Saunders is close to big-league ready, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Cain may be close, but none of the others really are. If Hart continues to be a trainwreck, Gomez persists in a stupid approach at the plate (why does that element of his game bring Alex Sanchez back to mind?), and Gerut proves he's not worthy of starting . . . . it just wouldn't take much to prove we're really fairly shallow for OF depth at the top of the system.

If Saunders is really that decent and Seattle would take Hart & Parra for him, I might give that real consideration.

Hart AND Parra? I think the risk of that exploding in our face is too much for DM to approve. If either comes close to their potential I think that would be pretty one-sided. I don't think Saunders is that decent.
You'll note my including Hart & Parra together was on the premise that Hart indeed proves a complete, irreversible trainwreck.

Hart AND Parra? I think the risk of that exploding in our face is too much for DM to approve. If either comes close to their potential I think that would be pretty one-sided. I don't think Saunders is that decent.
You'll note my including Hart & Parra together was on the premise that Hart indeed proves a complete, irreversible trainwreck.

if DM already knew that Hart is going to be a bust, he would have dealt him already. Hart and parra is too much for an unproven out fielder. if parra straightens out and hart gets his ALL-STAR game back then we'd be screwed.

Saunders is actually a fairly advanced and well regarded prospect. He has more upside then Michael Brantley for example. I think that either of Hart or Parra would fall short.
I think that's just a trade neither side has the incentive to make.

The Mariners certainly don't need an OF'er right now. They do need a pitcher, but who doesn't. And Saunders is a fairly substantial prospect. He'd easily rate as the best OF prospect we have right now by a considerable margin.

And obviously on our end you're giving up on another VERY talented young Left Hander who's got all the talent needed to thrive.

Just little motivation for either team.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I think one thing that is somewhat perplexing is how silent Melvin and Macha have been on Parra all spring. It doesn't seem like they really have a defined role for him in mind. Then again, his relatively poor showing may have contributed to this.

Think about it. Macha's only history with Parra is watching him make 27 starts last year in which he posted a 6.36 ERA, a 1.829 WHIP, an opponents BA/OBP/SP of .306/.386/.479.

Deep down, I don't think Macha has a whole lot of confidence based on what he's seen.

Melvin on the other hand has watched Parra come up through the minors, where he posted excellent numbers topped off by a perfect game. He's also watched young pitchers like De La Rosa and Eveland put up decent numbers after he has traded them away. At this point Melvin is clearly hesitant to trade Parra without a good offer on the table.

Trading Parra also means another SP hole we'd need to fill in 2011 when Bush and Suppan are gone. We'll have Yo, Wolf, Davis (option), Narveson, but would need to rely on someone from the minors stepping up. That's entirely possible, but we'd be thinning out the ranks by trading someone we control for several years. We're finally getting to the point that we may have some starting pitching depth, so I'd hate to see us trade that away until we get a little more certainty. If some of the young starters look good in AA, or if the AAA guys look capable, then maybe trade Parra mid-season, when he'll have a lot of value to a contending team in need of a starter, but I'd be very hesitant to trade him now.

It's possible we'll need more OF, if Gomez and Cain flame out, but we're okay this year with five capable OFs, and Cain should step into RF next season. After that, we have quite a few good prospects coming up. If we really need a corner OF next season, we should be able to find a decent free agent at a fairly low price without having to jeopardize our SP depth.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived