Brewer Fanatic

What should be next for Hart? -- Latest: Platoon seems to be working (reply #137ish)

davemakovec
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trading Hart now would be selling seriously low. They already did that with Hardy. Much as Hart's play is totally ugly at the plate right now, I'm not thinking trading him's a good way to go.
That would be fine if they werent on the hook to pay him 5 mil this year for a player that is completly lost out there. Trading/DFAing Hart while saving a few Mil > paying him 5 mil to be nearly worthless out there. Sometime cutting your loses and getting what you can or saving what you can far outweighs any production you may have gotten from said player. I know that is cold, but this is a business and if you arent producing or in this case hurting your team with you play, you need to be gone.

Wow this thread amazes me. Can we give a guy at least until May before we have a melt down on him? I didn't know that MLB players were not allowed to have an off-season. He had some healthy issue, his swing was off and his pitch selection but doesn't mean he will remain in the funk forever. Spring training performance for a hitter is not a legit arguement at all. Last season Hart bent over Cactus league pitching and poped 7 homers and hit near .400 I believe. I put no stock into spring training hitting. If I didn't last year I'd think Brent Brewer was a top 10 minor league prospect for how well he hit in big league camp.

You don't go from being as consistant and good as Hart has been since he was drafted to all of a sudden completely lose all ability to hit. He will figure it out. Gerut is no way the better option to start because his play may have even been worse that Harts. Also sending Hart down would a horrendious decision. That would be a huge slap in the face that I don't see helping him at all.

I do wonder if Hart could possibly be dealt for some minor league pitching depth, and someone like Heether or Katin could split time with Edmonds and Gerut.
I'm not very confident that Hart could bring back anything of value, he just doesn't provide much excess value for his contract.

To be honest, I hadn't even thought about Heether picking up some time in the outfield. I think I'd definitely give him a chance before Katin, whose strikeout numbers in AAA scare me a bit.

Can we give a guy at least until May before we have a melt down on him? I didn't know that MLB players were not allowed to have an off-season.

For the record, though, his 2008 second half was absolutely dismal. He's in the midst of 1.5 regular seasons of awfulness, along with a bad spring.

You don't go from being as consistant and good as Hart has been since he

was drafted to all of a sudden completely lose all ability to hit. He

will figure it out.

I would be willing to give him more time, except outside of 2007, he has proven himself to be a mediocre hitter at the Major League level(only one season above .800 OPS). On top of that, the team is trying to contend for a division title, and if there is a better option out there, they should go with it.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Wow this thread amazes me. Can we give a guy at least until May before we have a melt down on him? I didn't know that MLB players were not allowed to have an off-season. He had some healthy issue, his swing was off and his pitch selection but doesn't mean he will remain in the funk forever.

C. Hart

Age 23 - 57 ABs - .193 / .270 / .368

Age 24 - 237 AB - .283 / .328 / .468

Age 25 - 505 AB - .295 / .353 / .539

Age 26 - 612 AB - .268 / .300 / .459

Age 27 - 419 AB - .260 / .335 / .418

Which season was the off one? The one where he couldn't hit for power, or the one where he couldn't get on base?

Click on the plus to see who these stats belong to. [+]
G. Jenkins
Age 23 - 262 AB - .229 / .288 / .385

Age 24 - 447 AB - .313 / .371 / .564

Age 25 - 512 AB - .303 / .360 / .588

Age 26 - 397 AB - .264 / .334 / .474

Age 27 - 243 AB - .243 / .320 / .444

Age 28 - 487 AB - .296 / .375 / .538

Age 29 - 617 AB - .264 / .325 / .473

Age 30 - 538 AB - .292 / .375 / .513

Age 31 - 484 AB - .271 / .357 / .434

Age 32 - 420 AB - .255 / .319 / .471

Proof that it's possible to have a hot year, and then bounce back from two down years in your mid-20s. That said, the problem Hart faces is that he doesn't have the track record of outstanding years to fall back on, just one very good one. Plus, when the problems are tied to pitch selection, it's hard to look at Hart's OBPs and expect him to get a lot better.

(I looked up Greg Vaughn as well, but he's not that comparable to Hart....as his numbers show a more gradual improving trend, albeit with a few very down years before the trade @ age 30.)

I do agree that he should get a chance at a bounceback year, but Hart is rightfully on the hot seat at this point.

(edit: added spoiler code http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif --1992)

Plus, when the problems are tied to pitch selection, it's hard to look at Hart's OBPs and expect him to get a lot better.

I actually feel like '09 was good for Corey in terms of patience. He learned not to be patient for patience's sake, but the main reason his power/SLG was down was due to a crummy month of May & the appendectomy imo (missing August & half of Sept., then having to re-adjust on the fly). He only had one bad month at the plate prior to the emergency appendectomy. I would not be surprised at all to see him rebound this season.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Plus, when the problems are tied to pitch selection, it's hard to look at Hart's OBPs and expect him to get a lot better.

I actually feel like '09 was good for Corey in terms of patience. He learned not to be patient for patience's sake, but the main reason his power/SLG was down was due to a crummy month of May & the appendectomy imo (missing August & half of Sept., then having to re-adjust on the fly). He only had one bad month at the plate prior to the emergency appendectomy. I would not be surprised at all to see him rebound this season.

I'll bet you $50 donation to Rickie Weeks JDF that his OPS will not be .750 with minimum 350 ABs.

Remember, it is all about the kids.

I would love to see .296/.375/.538 (Jenkins at 28) from Hart this year. But since these two are not really that comparable offensively (or defensively for that matter), I don't think he will get close. Anything around an .800 OPS will be acceptable for me. If he can hover around that, I will stay off his back for now. 750 - 760 will not cut it however, not in RF I'm afraid.

(edit: fixed code... [name omitted] was blacked out http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif --1992)
That was intentional, so that people could see the numbers, and would have to highlight the text to see the name. (That's similar to how most sites handle spoilers.)
Sorry about that. Sometimes people get background colors mixed up with text colors. Scroll up and see the current spoiler solution.

I hid the post above with your full explanation and quoted the part that doesn't ruin the spoiler.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'll bet you $50 donation to Rickie Weeks JDF that his OPS will not be .750 with minimum 350 ABs.

Maybe someone that didn't lose his job can take you up on that one http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Fwiw, Hart's OPS prior to the appendectomy last season was .773. Even including his August & September numbers, it was over .750

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Saw that the Reds are planning on DFA'ing Wladimier Balentin if they can't trade him in the next couple days. Now if I'm the Nationals, I might prefer the cheaper Balentien over Hart. Balentien is still only 25 and has some ability. He's also had a much stronger spring.

Maybe someone that didn't lose his job can take you up on that one http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Fwiw, Hart's OPS prior to the appendectomy last season was .773. Even including his August & September numbers, it was over .750

I'm sorry about your job. I have been there. Good luck finding something. It is slowly getting better.

Really glad to see Hart put the right foot forward tonight in front of the home fans (at least judging from the box score). Hopefully that will keep the boo birds away.
Listening to Gameday Audio, I thought I heard some boos before Corey's first at-bat, but not the second. Fingers crossed.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

It could be a matter where Melvin simply called Dye's agent, found out he was asking a crazy amount for his services, and then passed.
What's with the reflexive player/agent bashing?
Dye isn't signed because he's asking for more money than anyone else thinks he's worth. Seems like a fair statement.

Implying a guy is "crazy" because he would rather do other things with his time than work for the league minimum is fair? I guess I disagree with your concept of fair. Dye may be asking for what seems to be an unrealistic amount but maybe he's decided it's not worth it for him to play unless he gets a certain amount of money. He's only making the same kind of calculation that everybody in the world makes every day but he's singled out as being off his nut? I don't get that.

Archived