Brewer Fanatic

What should be next for Hart? -- Latest: Platoon seems to be working (reply #137ish)

davemakovec

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At what point do the Brewers consider platooning Hart or if he really struggles into the season, releasing him?

It's probably a good thing he turned done with contract extension a few years ago. Granted, I would love to see him get back to 2007 form, but that was 2 long years ago for Corey. This lineup could really use a resurgent Hart.

With this big of an issue, what about putting him on the DL to start the season, and let him get his swing figured out in AAA. If he's up and it still takes him another week to get going at minimum, it's all going to spiral in terms of pressing and chasing performance. Better to get right and come in fresh and confident in your approach (maybe even with a chip on the shoulder over the whole ordeal), than starting to get moody and saying your not getting a chance everytime Edmonds gets a start after an 0-fer night.

In an effort to keep the Hart's Eyes from straying off topic, let's use this thread for discussion about Corey's current role on the team and his immediate future.

Also, let's refrain from turning this into a vent thread.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

With this big of an issue, what about putting him on the DL to start the season, and let him get his swing figured out in AAA.

People have said this about pitchers, too. I was under the impression that you can't just do this. If a guy is on the DL, but he's playing in AAA, that's a pretty obvious breach of the rules, no?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

With this big of an issue, what about putting him on the DL to start the season, and let him get his swing figured out in AAA.

People have said this about pitchers, too. I was under the impression that you can't just do this. If a guy is on the DL, but he's playing in AAA, that's a pretty obvious breach of the rules, no?

You can rehab in the minor leagues for a certain period of time, I'm not sure how long but you do have to serve some off time on the DL.

I think Hart needs to be looking over his shoulder. There are some prospects that are definitely on the cusp of making the team and there is Gerut and Edmonds on the team who maybe taking time away from Hart. I wouldn't be against a Hart/Edmonds platoon in RF that is probably the best thing for Edmonds and Hart.

After this year I'm not even sure that Hart will be on the team. Lorenzo Cain may not be the ideal person you would want in RF but he is going to be pushing Hart for playing time in RF next year and may well just win the job out there if Cain has a good year in the minors this year. Cain may even come up this year and take Hart's job from him later in the year. Hart may have a year like Werth or he may have a year like Hall where it looks as though he is done.

You can rehab in the minor leagues for a certain period of time, I'm not sure how long but you do have to serve some off time on the DL.

they basically did this with Jorge DeLaRosa a couple of years ago. They used blisters on his hands as the excuse to DL, and they kept him on extended rehab until they found a trade partner for him.

If Hart decides to get Lasik, this could be the Brewers' opportunity to do the same.

I really hope he gets lasik. I went from really poor nearsightedness to vision so intense I had headaches the first week from the visual overload. I definitely saw things that I had never been able to see with contacts or glasses, and my vision hasn't weakened in the 10 years since. If this really is his problem, get the surgery and get to rehab.

Hart might have been better off had he lost his arby case. It may be a case he's put extra pressure on himself to prove he was worth the higher number. Regardless, he needs to put up solid numbers this year or it will be his last as a Brewer. For what they'd have to pay him next year, they could probably find more consistent production on the open market or hopefully from an internal option such as Cain. If the Brewers are in the heat of a race come July and neither Hart or Edmonds has really been productive, the Brewers could make a move then.

I'm not sure what the question is, as he is the starting RF. Certainly, no one is overly concerned with what, 40-50 PA's in 'Zona.

They do have very solid reserve OF's, so if he struggles, he'll be rested, and in theory, you could see him in a platoon if he struggles. That's a decision that will be made after a few hundred AB's.

I'm not sure what the question is...

When I wrote the lead, I wasn't sure, either. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif All I could tell was that the interesting eye topic was headed off topic, kind of like the Rotation-turned-Counsell thread.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

after watching him yesterday for the first time this spring, he definitely looks lost out there. I think he can get out of his funk, but I think you that he has to split time with Edmonds and Gerut until he does. I agree he would have been better off if he lost his arby case. There is a lot of pressure to prove he is worth the money and I'm sure he wants to show that his struggles of last year are in the past.

Certainly, no one is overly concerned with what, 40-50 PA's in 'Zona.

No, I'm far more concerned with the fact that he has been in the bottom third of all MLB RFs in OPS for two straight seasons and is not that good a fielder, making him one of the worst RFs in baseball and one of the Brewers' weak spots this season. Couple that with the fact that they have two other options in Gerut and Edmonds, and I think that there is a big question as to why Hart is given the starting RF spot without any questions. Could he break out? Sure he could, but I'd guess Gerut has at least as good a chance if given playing time, and Edmonds is likely to be much better against RHs than Hart. On top of that, Gerut and Edmonds are much better fielders than Corey.

Personally, I'd like him to be platooned or "soft-platooned" this season. I've been saying that for quite a while, and the "40-50 spring ABs" adds to my belief. If Hart breaks out, great... he can be the full-time starter. However, he has done nothing since 2008 to merit a free pass start in RF. After his platoon role this season, I could very easily see him let go (no arby offer) after this season with Cain in RF/Gomez in CF next season. Then our plethora of young OF talent will start to get MLB ready leading to an excess of OF talent in the near future..

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think it won't be long before Edmonds takes Hart's job.

I also think Hart has the potential to bring his game back around and I'm hopeful that he does. I am cautiously optimistic about Jim Edmonds, I must say I like him much better in RF and not taking playing time away from Gomez in center

^Agreed. Hart has been roughly replacement level for he past 1.5 years. Watching him play in the field and at the plate, he's just a mess. If Edmonds can field competently in right, I would like to see Hart with a leash so short he can't even sniff the pavement.

The days of James Patrick Edmonds putting up 42 HR's, 111 RBI's and a .643 slugging percentage (1.061 OPS) like he did in 2004 are almost for sure long gone. But if he can put up the .937 OPS that he had in '08 with the Cubs (and he did have 19 HR's in only 85 games with Chicago that year) he is a huge upgrade over Hart

And Hart is an upgrade on the bench over what Frank Catalanotto contributed last year. He could be an effective late inning pinch runner, and a solid backup when the Crew is facing strong left handed pitching

That is my win-win scenario.

Edmonds as a platoon guy in a corner probably wouldn't be to bad. The problems start once he gets into CF or as an every day player.

I am not really bothered by Hart missing an apparently easy flyball since we see that often enough in Arizona.

Where is all this Lasik talk coming from. It doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon. Hart didn't know he had a vision problem until spring training started. Much to late for surgery.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I don't think the Brewers should just release Hart, but there is absolutely no excuse that this eye issue is dragging on into the start of the regular season. This should have been cleared up a while ago. If he is batting something like .180 when we are two or three weeks into the season, he is going to hear a LOT of boos. Especially after winning his arbitration case. If that starts going to his head, then we're really bordering on dangerous territory with him. As a Brewer fan though, I certainly hope he gets himself straightened out in the very near future. I'm not that comfortable with our options.

I think it won't be long before Edmonds takes Hart's job.

I also think Hart has the potential to bring his game back around and I'm hopeful that he does. I am cautiously optimistic about Jim Edmonds, I must say I like him much better in RF and not taking playing time away from Gomez in center

Well, maybe Edmonds will end up biting quite a bit into Hart's playing time, but Edmonds should never start when a lefty is on the mound because Edmonds has been miserable vs lefties from 2006-2008.

I will generally agree with the point about we tend to get ourselves worked into a frenzy and start releasing players too early. The only compelling reason to release Hart would be to shave a few million off the books for the year in the hopes that somehow we might use that later on a trade. That said a guy like Jayson Werth is a reason to atleast try things for one more year at the current price. My concern with the DL suggestion, was basically as it looks right now he's in a slump and despite Al's dismissal of the sample size at least in Hart's mind and the fans perspective the eye issue and the batting are connected. Changing eye wear every few games and complaining that they don't feel right is not good. The small sample size only reinforces not determines that conclusion. Hart and the Brewers can't afford to let him start the first 3 weeks of the season hitting under the Mendoza line. Macha, Melvin, or his agent needs to sit him down and explain exactly how the season is going to go if he starts off poorly. 1) Edmonds will take over against all right handers. 2) The low initial 50 ABs will keep his numbers suppressed for a very long time even after he adjusts because he'll be getting fewer ABs. 2) He will struggle in more of a bench roll at first. 3) He'll get mad about playing time and start blaming that. 4) The fans won't care what his excuse is. 5) He'll loose his cool and start lashing out in the clubhouse. 6) He'll probably be dumped to a poor team to let him start.

Archived