Brewer Fanatic

Kevin Mench

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Molitor if you don't like the truth, or my posts do everyone a favor and don't reply. I simply stated we bring that OF back we'll lose 90 games, am I wrong?

I like how your posts are always "the truth".

The same team will almost certainly be better next year, as young guys mature and the bullpen hopefully stays healthy and won't have Turnbow destroying games. Is the OF great? No, but fortunately, those guys aren't pitching, nor are OF's the only guys in the lineup.

".... am I wrong?"

Until next season's out, it's just an awful lot of conjecture. Opinions are just opinions and everyone can have 'em. Really, who cares! Forums like this one exist for expressing opinions & having healthy dialogue. We'll never all agree, even in hindsight. I still like Carlos Lee & would love to see him back. Many on this board would think me certifiably nuts. So what?

If Clark is back & plays like '05, and Jenkins plays decently with consistency, plus a few of his patented hot stretches. . . . 1) there would probably be more Brewers wins on the board, 2) many of us would be quite happy, and 3) KC would be wrong, and also possibly quite happy about it.

Clark & Jenkins may also decline further and the team doesn't improve, in which case KC's right, but so what? The team would be underachieving and we'd all be cranky about it -- and justifiably so.

And Kevin Mench, the original topic of this thread? Is his a shorter-term slump or a total Chad Moeller-like career-ending offensive collapse? Guess we're just gonna have to tune in & find out.

Time for me to quit ranting. Too much work still to be done tonight.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't want to read too much into what Mark Attanasio said on the Peter Brown show Thursday, but didn't it sound like Mench was as good as traded already from his comments?

It was something to the effect of:

"Whatever becomes of Kevin Mench with the Brewers, there's a few teams out there that would love to have him."

"Whatever becomes of Kevin Mench with the Brewers, there's a few teams out there that would love to have him."

I officially retract all my comments in this thread. I was kidding. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I am actually getting very excited for this offseason. With the interview today, I am expecting at least one big acquisition.

Quote:
I am actually getting very excited for this offseason. With the interview today, I am expecting at least one big acquisition.

I am too, I am also wondering what free agents the team is "zeroing in" on.

As far as Kevin Mench, I thought I heard somewhere the Twins had interest in him. Maybe they'll give us Johan Santana, Francisco Liriano and Joe Mauer for Kevin Mench and Doug Davis.

Great post by MNBrew. My "over the top" comment about losses basically meant please don't bring back that OF, The offense most likely would really struggle. Hart needs to play, and he deserves to.

You can't win enough games 2-1 & 3-2 with our staff and the offense as it currently stands. Also, MANY posters only want to deal in hard facts, this is a message board under the trade forum, conjecture is part of the business & fun.

I am too, I am also wondering what free agents the team is "zeroing in" on.

Me too. I think our 'big acquisition' that Attanasio refered to is probably going to come via trade (like Carlos Lee) rather than free agency, though I would be thrilled if we found a way to land Schmidt. I wouldn't be shocked to see Vernon Wells or Pat Burrell as a Brewer in a couple of months.

I think our 'big acquisition' that Attanasio refered to is probably going to come via trade (like Carlos Lee) rather than free agency

That's by far the most logical conclusion to draw, IMO. If we're talking about a guy we get excited about the day we acquire him, he will have to come via trade. There are only a couple big time guys this winter, and all of them are undoubtedly going to be priced out of the Brewers' budget. Thus, you won't see a "name" player come via free agency. Of course, we could make a "big acquisition" that flies under the radar, like when the Rangers inked Gary Matthews Jr and he went way beyond expectations.

So where has all this Veron Wells talk come from? I would LOVE adding him, but how did this talk start? Pure fan dreaming, or actual 'insider' rumor?

By the way, Wells plays about as nice a CF as you can find. I would be willing to part with about anyone in our OF to make room for him (maybe not Hart)

So where has all this Veron Wells talk come from? I would LOVE adding him, but how did this talk start? Pure fan dreaming, or actual 'insider' rumor?

Unless there's some rumor specifically linked, it's probably just idle speculation on our part 99% of the time, as is the case here.

Again Wells is a free agent after 2007. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have him patrolling centerfield at Miller Park but I wouldn't give up the farm for him when he'll likely seek a big contract in free agency.

Just a quick note to add to the Vernon Wells conversation, the fans at BLUEJAYWAY.CA, seem to be of the almost unanamous idea that Wells must be traded this offseason. He is supposedly demanding Carlos Beltran money, 16-18 mill per.

(Also they need a SS, the Brewers could have an extra SS in Hardy or Hall or Yo2 (Perez))

So yes it is just speculation but the teams have pieces that the other wants.

A Vernon Wells for JJ Hardy, Villenueve, Rogers deal wouldn't shock me. It would be hard to give up that much young talent for a player you may only have for one year.

Quote:
A Vernon Wells for JJ Hardy, Villenueve, Rogers deal wouldn't shock me. It would be hard to give up that much young talent for a player you may only have for one year.

I would be so PO'ed if that deal happened.

I've been thinking about the Mench and Jenkins situation and the more I think about it the more I wouldn't mind having them platoon in left field.

I was curious so I looked at the stats for both against lefties and righties respectively over the past four years. I was surprised at how good they were and I wouldn't mind a platoon of those two at $10M.

.302/.377/.541/.918/26 HR's/85 RBI's/54 BB's/93 K's in an average of 498.5 AB's.

Put them in LF, Hall in CF and Hart in RF. I think that would be solid production from the outfield.

I would be so PO'ed if that deal happened.

Yeah, I'd love Wells, but that's too much to pay for one year. If it's true that he's demanding huge money, he won't sign an extension and will be gone after 2007 and we're right back to looking for another hitter. If he had 2 or 3 years left on his deal, I'd be all about giving up some quality players to get him.

• 11 years later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wow
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived