Brewer Fanatic

Kevin Mench

The Brewers need to give Kevin Mench a shot. Everyone on this website says dont put too much into just a small sample size. Since he struggled in his 130 AB in a new league, against new pitching, everybody wants to get rid of him. All I ask is leave him out in left for 1 month and then look at his production. Then we can judge him on another 130 at bats.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope he's not back and I hope Melvin can find somebody via trade or free agency to put in left field.

He has never hit well out of Ameriquest and his numbers prove that.

.256/.307/.435/.742/36 HR's/126 RBI's/61 BB's/137 K's in 930 AB's

I would hope Melvin could find someone better but if he can't I'd rather just have a Hart/Hall/Jenkins outfield.

Like I said in the Clark thread, I also think he will be back provided we don't aquire a new OF bat. I think he's more likely to be in our opening day lineup than Jenkins.

I'd rather see Gross everyday, but he should still get plenty of playing time by sharing some starts with Mench. He could quickly beat him out for the job.

I do agree that people were a little quick to throw Mench right into the fire. He could potentially put up the same numbers as Magglio Ordonez this year, and will most likely exceed what Craig Monroe did this year.

I don't buy the new league excuse for Mench. Once upon a time before interleague play and when umpires stayed in one league or the other, there was an adjustment for hitters. That is no longer true.

He put up decent numbers playing in Texas a notoriously good hitters park.

Sbryski06 comments about him putting up numbers like Monroe and Ordonez did are really optimistic.

Monroe and Ordonez put up better numbers than Mench playing half their games in the best pitcher's park in all of baseball. Monroe away from Comerica hit .287/.339/.558. To compare Ordonez with Mench is a joke. They are not comparable in the least.

To compare Ordonez with Mench is a joke.

Yes, Mench doing what Ordonez did this year would be a more optimistic view.

Mench Career - .271 / .330 / .469 / .799

Ordonez 2006 - .298 / .350 / .477 / .827

But it is not all that farfetched that Mench could hit 28 OPS points above his career average next year. I doubt his average gets up in the upper .290's though. Mench did have a .874 OPS in 2004, though in Texas. Then .797 in '05 and .797 in '06 before completely falling off after being traded.

putting up numbers like Monroe

Monroe's 2006 line of .255 / .301 / .482 / .783 is defintely not out of the question for Mench, as he carried a high OPS than that his entire time in the bigs except his rookie year of '02 and '06 after coming to Milwaukee. His average and OBP actually was .269 and .313 total last year, both better than Monroe.

I do want to clarify that if I were manager, I would start Gross everyday verse RHP. I am a huge Gross supporter and I think he is better than Mench.

However, it seems that Melvin still likes Mench. While I'd like to see Gross start over Mench, I think they will give Mench another shot first.

Then, like I said, I feel it is likely that Gross will continue to outplay Mench and begin to take more and more time away from him.

But I just don't want to automatically assume Mench is going to stink up the joint after just 130 AB's. He does have some potential to bounce back, though it is probably more likely for him to continue to preform at a very mediocre level.

A player that many would welcome in Milwaukee (myself included) is Vernon Wells. The numbers are not from the same years, but thy are consecutive:

Mench Wells (OPS) '04 .874 | .909 '03 '05 .797 | .809 '04 '06* .797 | .783 '05 '07 .??? | .899 '06 *In Texas 

Mench is one year older than Wells, so age wise in that comparison Mench is two years behind.

I'm not saying Mench is as good as Wells (especially when defense is considered), or that he will bounce back like Wells did. But it is possible, and I could understand giving him a month or two in a starting role and see how he does, especially because the people making this decision know a lot more about him than we do. (Though, again, I'd also prefer to just hand the job to Gross now)

I could potentially put up the same numbers as Magglio Ordonez too if given enough AB's. Not gonna happen.

On the other hand, I don't think Mench will be that bad again either. We'll all be watching to see what moves happen and don't happen this offseason with teeth grinding...maybe I should speak for myself.

Quote:
A player that many would welcome in Milwaukee (myself included) is Vernon Wells.

I think everybody on this board would love Wells but the problem is he only has one year left on his deal. The main problem between some on this board is don't give up too much to get him because he can bolt after this year. Now if we could somehow have a deal in place where he would sign an extension if he was traded here then I'd be all for it and would probably give up Hardy, Eveland and someone else to get him.

I feel the fact that Mench didn't play much during the final few weeks shows that he won't be back next season, much like how Jenkins was treated during the final few weeks shows he won't be back. I think we're in for a bit of a roller coaster ride this offseason

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote:
Since he struggled in his 130 AB in a new league, against new pitching, everybody wants to get rid of him.

Actually I want to get rid of him because he throws like my sister. The fact that he can't hit a lick is just added incentive.

Why pay him 3 million when you can pay Gross, Hart, and Gwynn $400,000 to put up pretty much the same offensive numbers, if not better, and play 10 times better defense. I just don't see any upside to keeping the guy.

Why don't we just keep Mench, Clark and Jenkins this year, don't sign any FA's and lose 90 games again, seems par for the course.

And why don't you just say the same dang thing 350 posts in a row - continuing to define yourself through your words?

Why don't we just keep Mench, Clark and Jenkins this year, don't sign any FA's and lose 90 games again, seems par for the course.

In my opinion, if our lineup is left intact with no major additions, we will be a bit better next year assuming the injury situation is better. However, I don't think we would be a serious competitor for a playoff spot unless the league is down again next year as it was this year.

I think that the following positions are pretty set in stone: 1B, 2B, SS (Either Hall or Hardy, we just aren't privy to that info yet). So if we are to make a major addition is has to be either 3B or OF. We're fairly certain Hart will be in the OF, and many seems to think Hall will also with Hardy starting at SS. So I think there is almost no chance that either Jenkins, Gross, Mench, or Gwynn will be a starter next year.

Archived