Brewer Fanatic

A Mariners fan came up with this idea.

trwi7

Reed's salary is small, so probably. A lot of people seem willing to give Jenkins away for nothing if someone ate his whole salary, so I imagine giving $2 mil and getting Reed back in return isn't much different.

Reed has been terrible offensively, but he'd be a cheaper bench player than Clark by quite a bit. They'd just have to find someone to take Clark then.

Reed is one of the guys I'd love to have...he dominated completely in the minors and he still has plenty of ability left...i have no idea why he hasnt produced in Seattle, but I would be very pleased to get him for Jenkins...though the Brewers might want more of a sure thing..

I LOVE that offer. Now I am not from the camp that we MUST get rid of Jenkins but if an offer comes along to get a pretty quality young player for Jenkins and little cash I would have to jump all over it.

And if we get rid of Jenkins maybe just maybe the Brewers could replace him with my man crush Frank Cattalanatto.

His minor league stats were nice but not particularily awesome either:

LINK

I guess the question is, what's worth more:

Jenkins for $7.0 mil

Reed for $2.4 mil

Even if you think Jenkins is worth $4 mil and Reed $0, that would probably be a deal worth making.

And I still think Reed has some potential. I don't know where Jenkins would play in Seattle though. Ibanez had a good year in left field and Jenkins isn't moving Ichiro out of right field. So either they're looking to trade Ibanez or Ichiro or they want Ibanez to move to center field or something. Oh well it wouldn't be my problem anyways.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Reed fills no need.

He's lefthanded as are 3 of the other CF candidates (Gwynn, Nix, Gross). That's not even counting Krynzel who mysteriously is still on the Brewer roster.

He hit in the minors but so have the guys already on the roster.

He hasn't hit lefties a lick so like Gross he would need a right handed platoon partner.

Jenkins is more expendable because he bats lefthanded and so does Gross. Trading him for another lefthanded hitting OF does not make a lot of sense.

This guy is apparently saying that Ichiro has said he'll move to center field and that they need to pick up a power bat for right field. I think if this deal was presented to Melvin he would jump at it.

I'd do it, but would be hesitant to throw more than $2M back in their direction. Reed was a great prospect, but that has translated into crappy results. Still, he's just 25 and plays CF.

I'd like it a whole lot more if money wasn't changing hands, though, as Jenks could have a monster contract year and still clubbed righties pretty well in a bad season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Reed had the rep of being able to hit lefties in the minors, but as someone pointed out, he hasn't been able to in the bigs. He hit .200 in 2005 and 0 for 23 last year.

In his defense, I think he has had some injuries.

Still, he has a .400+ OBP in the minors, and really controlled the strike zone well. Only 116 Ks in almost 1200 minor league ABs, to go with 140 BBs. Scouting report was that he's a solid CF - nothing great. Average range and arm, but good instincts. I don't know how he's played in Seattle - just going from his minor league reports.

It would be interesting. I guess the team would have to look at the big league film and see if he's a lost cause against lefties. Still, he's intriguing.

I am a huge Jenkins supporter, always going to games in my USC hoody and always screaming Trojan power in reference to our great corner OF-man. But if I were offered Jeremy Reed, I would have to believe it would work out for both parties. As pointed out by previous posters, Reed has had a great amount of success in the minors, but hasn't brought that success to the majors, which harks back to Lyle Overbay's profile, though he still was hitting .270. But what's funny is the two players most posters would want to receive in a trade for Jenkins were traded for eachother: Reed and Freddy Garcia.

No. And in two words, no @#%$ way. Reed batted .217 last year. Career numbers:

.255 avg, .317 OBP, .368 SLG, 66 BB to 109 K

He played a full season in 2005, only drove in 45 runs and only scored 61 (Plus only 12/23 SB attempts -- Career 17/32). It seems his advantage over Jenkins is his speed, but those are Brady Clark stolen base numbers. Reed doesn't add anything, and definitely doesn't equal Jenks's production.

Jenkins's worst full season of his career (2006) yielded 70 RBI & 62 Runs (and he was 4/5 SB attempts) ;)

Over the past 4 seasons, Jenks has averaged:

144 games, 24 HR, 86 RBI, 80 Runs, 33 2Bs, .280 BA, .847 OPS

AND, he plays a mean-ass RF. Did anyone else see the throw he made to nail Aramis Ramirez at 3d in Miller this year (July 8th)? I was there in person, and I have NEVER seen a more difficult or perfect throw.

Why all the Jenkins haters? Et tu....?

Quote:
Why all the Jenkins haters?

I don't think ANYBODY hates him. I would like him a lot more if he was CONSISTENT throughout the year. This year he started off fine (hit .290 Ba .843 OPS) but from May to August he hit only .236/.325/.352/.677/6 HR's/45 RBI's/34 BB's/87 K's in 318 AB's.

That's just horrendous. The fact that this would save us $4M is a plus, Hart could play RF and we could trade for a power hitting left fielder.

Well see thats the problem. We'd need to trade for another outfielder. And Reed would do what? Sit on the bench? Start in center over Gross? I think the trade is fair, but it forces the Brewers to get another OFer when they have too many as it is and if they can't get another OFer, then it hurts them.

Archived