Brewer Fanatic

Hart's Eyes

Invader3K
I have contacts and have used them for about 10 years for sporting events (glasses normally). I purchased some Oakley prescription sunglasses to account for my slightly weak distance vision and I found that I could not golf in them. The feeling close to the ball was as if I were drunk. I could see distances great, though. Last year while coaching girls' golf, I opted to not wear contacts once and wore my prescription sunglasses. I got roped into playing a few holes with the girls, and I found that my eyes had adjusted from driving with them on, and I could now shoot in the 70s with the sunglasses. When I'd first gotten them, I couldn't hit the sweet-spot. So it could take time for him to get used to the prescription shades

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

berniebrewer4life - sorry, I was misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying being nearsighted would help, not correcting the nearsightedness.

Lots of people have played with glasses (hello Jimmie Gantner), but its the adjustment to them that takes a while. Even switching between my contacts and glasses is a difference.

And to this point, Hart hasn't found a comfort zone with glasses, goggles not arrived, and just starting to try contacts? Why did he not do Lasik as soon as he found out?

I had high hopes that Hart would rebound this year, but this doesn't give me any confidence...

Lasik has a significant recovery time, up to 6 months for the vision to stabilize. If Hart had it this spring when he failed his vision test, he'd miss a good chunk of time. The goggles sounded like the best bet for him, but unfortunately they don't have 1 hour prescription goggle places.

It could be worse, if he had an astigmatism, the distortion caused by glasses would make hitting and fielding harder than dealing with a blurry ball.

My wife is an Ophthamologist and she says vision will stabilize in 6 weeks generally actually. Of course, this is general and a particular patient may take longer based on genetics. Also if the surgeon is using subpar equipment or is a hack with the blade-then there could be problems that last longer as well.

Personally, I just think that Corey Hart is bad. Edmonds will be here this year and will be platooning with Hart before you know it. Expect more starts in RF for Hart than CF for Carlos.

My vision has always been a little off (I'm actually nearsighted in my left eye and farsighted in my right), but until about several years ago was fine for everyday life but as a fastpitch softball player my hitting kept going downhill until I realized I had to do something about it (I could no longer see the seams and had to rely on guessing the pitch). Got a pair of glasses and could see clearly, but had absolutely zero depth perception. Went and got contacts and have been wearing them ever since, just night and day difference from the glasses. It took probably 2 hrs to get the contacts in my eyes the first time and was a huge pain for a couple weeks, but that goes away. I don't really have a point I guess, and I've always been a Corey Hart fan, but he should have figured this problem out in the offseason. Maybe Edmonds starting in right might not be a bad idea.

Per Witrado on the JSOnline blog, Corey "recently got contact lenses to help his vision." So maybe the glasses/goggles are out the window instead?

He ordered glasses, they were supposed to be there on Monday but haven't showed up so he's trying contacts for now and will probably go with the glasses when they show up.

As soon as I saw this whole "Hart got glasses so it will be a big help" thing start up it made me nervous. I feel like he is mentally weak at times and that this would become a crutch if he started to play poorly after "figuring out what was wrong" from last year. I fear he's always looking for things to change and I just don't think he's going to get back to what he used to do. Glasses aren't a magical cure and now that nothing is helping I feel like he's going to be even more mentally screwed.

I'm pulling for him but I feel like he's derailed.

Wasn't the buzz last year that Lasik surgery would cure Bill Hall?

The Corey Hart situation with him winning big in arby coming off a very mediocre year and following up with an atrocious spring would probably be the focus of everyone's attention if not for the rotation situation.

If the Brewers aren't thinking about replacing him, they should be. Whether that's internally or externally and when remains to be seen. I think he'll get well in May (as Hall did last year) and 125-150 AB's to sort himself out. But if he's struggling by Memorial Day, with say .225/.280/.375 type numbers, then there's change coming. Whether that's Gerut, Edmonds, Cain, or someone not currently in the system will be the question. They might even think about moving McGehee to RF if and when Gamel comes back assuming he's swinging the bat well.

There is a bit of a difference between having Lasik to replace contacts/glasses and actually getting corrective lenses for poor eyesight. It appears that Hart is in the latter group (though it does not mean he will actually improve) verse Hall and Kendall the previous two years.

I've had glasses, contact lenses and finally Lasik. I don't believe any of the 3 gave me improved eyesight compared to the others. Of course Lasik has advantages since you don't have to worry about fogged glasses or dust under your contacts. Hart's problems last year seemed to be more about effort. He got fat, slow and lazy. This year I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he appears to have taken the off season more seriously. Hopefully we'll have other good options to help him get the fire back in his belly.

Because this thread had begun to stray way off topic, I've begun a new What should be next for Hart? thread and moved a couple of posts from this topic over there. Let's refrain from allowing either Hart thread from becoming a vent thread. Thanks. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived