Brewer Fanatic

Rotation Battle 2.0 -- Latest: Suppan Named 5th Starter

Mass Haas
  • Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good God, quit protecting the guy's reputation and get rid of him.

Sometimes it's hard to admit a mistake, but a good business needs to

recognize one and deal with it. Who cares about Soup's feelings? He

has about 40 million reasons not to be upset with the team. He is the

one who didn't live up to his end of the deal.

Another "injury" huh? I wonder if people are still so ardent the

"injuries" Suppan had the past couple years were legit. Looks like it

took some time to get him to go along with it this time.

What happened to our horse- the 'innings eating' big-game pitcher? He seems to be 'hurt' more than Sheets these days.

Per AM, because Suppan is pitching in a simulated game, not an official game, he could pitch today and still be put on the DL backdated to 3/26.

If the Brewers wanted to, this would allow them to still bring Suppan up and option Villenueva when the 5th starter spot is needed and make Suppan the 5th starter. I'm not advocating this, just looking at the Brewers options.

I guess they faked the MRI last year too~ This one might actually be a made up injury given the timing and the roster crunch but the past 2 years were not.

I guess they faked the MRI last year too~ This one might actually be a made up injury given the timing and the roster crunch but the past 2 years were not.
Have you seen the MRI from last year?

Maybe Suppan has the same injury Elmer Dessens had: We-aren't-going-to-cut-you-but-don't-want-you-to-play-itis.
In Boston, they call it the Fenway Flu. What should we call the Milwaukee version? The Miller Malaise?

This is getting ridiculous. There's not much left to be said. They're just looking for every excuse to keep him around. What good does the DL really do? If he's pitching a simulated game I find it hard for him to legitimately be hurt. Great, let's DL him so we can have the same situation 15 days from now. If at some point we really need another starter Villy, Vargas, or Narveson/Parra can fill in. If we're down 2 then it's pretty hopeless anyway.

C'mon Doug, just break up with him all ready. Yes, break ups are tough but you'll get over it and realize there are many more fish in the sea. You're going to have to do this face to face Doug. Three years is too long for a text message or phone call. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering "What if?"

Sorry, just felt like I've been through this before. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Have you seen the MRI from last year?
Have you? I mean you are assuming they lied about him getting an MRI which includes physical evidence that could easily show the league they were lying about the injury and all because you don't like the guy. Saying a guy has a sore whatever is one thing, saying he went and got an MRI and the results of the MRI showed x or y is very different. It is highly unlikely they lied in that case.

This is getting ridiculous. There's not much left to be said. They're just looking for every excuse to keep him around. What good does the DL really do? If he's pitching a simulated game I find it hard for him to legitimately be hurt. Great, let's DL him so we can have the same situation 15 days from now. If at some point we really need another starter Villy, Vargas, or Narveson/Parra can fill in. If we're down 2 then it's pretty hopeless anyway.

C'mon Doug, just break up with him all ready. Yes, break ups are tough but you'll get over it and realize there are many more fish in the sea. You're going to have to do this face to face Doug. Three years is too long for a text message or phone call. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering "What if?"

Sorry, just felt like I've been through this before. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The problem is that Butler is still hurt. You have the 6th man in the pen and Estrada right now as rotation depth. Keeping Suppan around for a month doesn't hurt the Brewers.

What are the rules for players signed to multi-year deals in terms of rehab assignments?

[/blue] Perhaps he could just rehab for a good 6-8 months in Nashville, and all of a sudden be healthy if a starter gets injured. [/blue]

If they can 'stash' him on the DL as insurance in case anyone gets hurt and/or lit up in April and May I say do it. Is he a great backup plan, no. But is it something besides young AA pitchers or AAA retreads, yes. It sounds like a better use of the 14.5 million than paying him to go back to the Soup Kitchen. And it is definately better than having to see him pitch at the start of the season.

Drew Olsen also chimes in:

The #Brewers are up to something on the Jeff Suppan front. It might be the most interesting thing to happen during spring training.

Could be a variety of things at this point. I wonder if they're going to wait until after the game against the Angels to announce something, or if it's more imminent.

Edit: Merged this with the current rotation thread, as the topic was already being discussed.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

What are the rules for players signed to multi-year deals in terms of rehab assignments?

[/blue] Perhaps he could just rehab for a good 6-8 months in Nashville, and all of a sudden be healthy if a starter gets injured. [/blue]

If he's placed on the 15 day DL, that's the minimum number of days he has to stay there. But he can stay on the 15 day DL for a long time. Pitchers can be sent to the minors for rehab for up to 30 days. So, as I understand it, they could place him on the 15 day DL, and keep him hidden/on rehab until June or possibly later.

I don't know that a team has to prove a player is injured, but if it goes on too long, I would think the Players Union would get involved and file a complaint.

I think rehab is 7 days I think but thats for real minor league games. Extended spring training doesn't count.

Archived