Brewer Fanatic

Rotation Battle 2.0 -- Latest: Suppan Named 5th Starter

Mass Haas
  • Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So...IF they decide to release him, wasn't letting Schoeneweis go kind of a stupid move?

No because Schoeneweis still wouldn't have a job in the majors.

Gallardo

Wolf

Davis

Bush

Narveson

Hoffman

Coffey

Stetter

Villanueva

Hawkins

Parra

Vargas

That's still 12 all who would be ahead of him with Axford and Braddock in Nashville waiting for a callup and they would probably be ahead of Schoeneweis too.

My prediction is that he's been traded for Mike Lowell and he is deciding today if he will waive his no trade clause to come to Milwaukee. It's also what I hope happens, since I've always liked Lowell.

MNBrew, I imagine you're thinking back to a couple of years ago when they sent Turnbow to AAA. He had a non-guaranteed contract, and electing not to accept the assignment would have meant turning down his salary. Unfortunately, not the case with Suppan

Technically speaking, Turnbow's contract was guaranteed just like Suppan's is -- the difference was that Turnbow was over 3yrs, but under 5 years -- Turnbow had the right to refuse assignment (forfeiting his salary) -- however if the Brewers would have released him -- They would have had to pay Tbow his contract

My prediction is that he's been traded for Mike Lowell and he is deciding today if he will waive his no trade clause to come to Milwaukee. It's also what I hope happens, since I've always liked Lowell.

My understanding is that Lowell was in the Boston lineup yesterday, so I'm not sure I'd count on that. If he was possibly going to be dealt, I assume he'd be sitting.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Why would the Sox, who already awash in starting pitching, trade anything for Suppan?

I cant see any team out there offering up more than a bag of balls for him. He is going to be made available to any team for nothing in a few days. Just like it was with Vargas a few years ago, everyone knows they have to drop a pitcher, so if they want one of them, Suppan included, they will wait until he is released.

Lowell is projected for a 2.5 WAR year by Pecota, Suppan -0.1. Bad contracts aside, the Sox arent in the position they are because of making ridiculous trades.

Why would the Sox, who already awash in starting pitching, trade anything for Suppan?

I cant see any team out there offering up more than a bag of balls for him. He is going to be made available to any team for nothing in a few days. Just like it was with Vargas a few years ago, everyone knows they have to drop a pitcher, so if they want one of them, Suppan included, they will wait until he is released.

Lowell is projected for a 2.5 WAR year by Pecota, Suppan -0.1. Bad contracts aside, the Sox arent in the position they are because of making ridiculous trades.

Exactly. My guess is that any team that needs pitching is probably watching the Brewers' situation, but they are hoping that they actually keep Suppan and a talented arm gets caught up in a numbers game. Why would anybody help the Brewers by taking Suppan?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

A buddy and I had a convo about it this morning and got it down to simplicity...if you're Mark A. would you rather:

1) Waste $12M and have a good chance of losing every 5 days
2) Waste $12M and have a better chance of winning every 5 days

Seems simple to me.

Let's say Suppan is being traded today, who would we realistically be looking to get back for him?

We need someone that another team is more than willing to give up for next to nothing.

We need someone who can play some 3rd base, as McGehee hasn't been too impressive.

We need someone who can play some outfield, as Hart doesn't look good at all.

Sounds like a "Jeff Suppan for Bill Hall" deal to me!

Let's say Suppan is being traded today, who would we realistically be looking to get back for him?

We need someone that another team is more than willing to give up for next to nothing.

We need someone who can play some 3rd base, as McGehee hasn't been too impressive.

We need someone who can play some outfield, as Hart doesn't look good at all.

Sounds like a "Jeff Suppan for Bill Hall" deal to me!

Good point. This is exactly why Suppan should have been jettisoned last year before Hall. Regardless of what he does at the plate, Hall still has some value because he can play several positions -with good defense, at least in the infield. Joe Inglett seems like a step down from Bill Hall, but that's just me. Suppan on the other hand, has and had negative value, and despite the arguments that he was needed by the team last year, any organization should have had several arms in AAA that could replace his skill set adequately.

TH's blog had been updated, and after talking with Macha, the DL is a possibility as his neck's been bothering him. It sound minor, but maybe they can come to a gentelmen's agreement to put Suppan on the DL to start the season and get treatment for his "injury." When ready, he could come back and replace an injured or struggling pitcher. This would be the perfect situation as Suppan would still add depth to the starting pitching while not hurting the current rotation and bullpen set ups.

Edit: I see battlekow beat me to it. Damn my slow typing!

I think Suppan will start out the season on the DL in order to buy the brewers some more time to figure out what to do with him. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out although I was really hoping for a definitive answer today involving him not pitching another game for the brewers.

Well, I've been hoping Suppan wouldn't make the starting rotation to start the season. So, hopefully, with this news it will be...

Suppan to the DL to start the year.

Narveson as the #5 SP

Parra and Villa to the bullpen

I think the Brewers are setting up Suppan to start the year with either Parra or Narveson as the #5 starter. Pure speculation but I believe if Parra or Narveson are not performing in the month of April as the #5 starter you will probably see Suppan get that #5 spot when he returns from the DL or take over Villa's bullpen spot.

Archived