Brewer Fanatic

Rotation Battle 2.0 -- Latest: Suppan Named 5th Starter

Mass Haas

Very relieved to read that article on JSonline today! I do feel a little bad for Soup because he's been a very good profesional and seems to be a good person but I just think it's gone.

I'm pulling for Parra to be the 5th and step up!

Congrats to Bush, he does deserve it and I'm glad that he made it!

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe this has been discussed already, but what do you guys think about keeping a scenario of Suppan combined with Parra/Narveson to split one game in the 5-man rotation? It seems to me based on my observation that these guys (and Bush for that matter) can do a decent job getting through the order twice, but that third time is the one that usually bites them. Having each "scheduled" to pitch 3-4 innings, you eliminate that third time through (unless they are coasting, which is just a bonus). With essentially two long relievers in the pen, you can afford to plan on using one and keeping the other for the next few days if one of the other starters blows up and exits early.

I don't know about leaving the pen short. If I remember correctly, the other guys like Coffey, Stetter, and Vargas are guys that can throw back to back days (unlike guys like Riske and to some extent Hoffman). I'm not sure about Hawkins, but for his price, you'd hope so. Plus you still have Narveson to thrown in long situations or emergencies.

Like Toby said, I hate to root against our own players... but it's painfully obvious that Jeff Suppan isn't a pitcher that you can justify keeping in the starting rotation (& perhaps on the roster at all)
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't think you can justify keeping him in the bullpen either, even if it is just mop up duty. Villy deserves the last bullpen spot, not Suppan. I hope today allows the Brewers to see that they have no other option but to cut him. Who knows, maybe he would accept an assignment at AAA since I doubt anyone would try and pick him up.

Either way he gets his $14.5M. As someone else said (iirc it was Toby in the prior rotation thread), he'd probably rather just go be with his family than sit on busses in the minors.

FWIW, one of my friends just tipped me off to this from Jim Bowden's twitter feed:

Doug Melvin just told us Gallardo, Wolf, Davis and Bush will be first 4 starters...while Parra or Narveson likely the 5th:Suppan to bullpen?

I am really pulling for Manny on this one. That said, I have to out myself and say that I was not against the Suppan signing three years ago. However, he just keeps proving that he is not rotation worthy. I will be so glad when his contract is up at the end of the year.

Suppan's first inning today.

3 H, 1 B, 2 ER, 0 K

Also, and Error on a pickoff throw...
So he's improving as the spring goes on... that's better than his last two outings.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'd actually give the 5th spot to Narveson, put Suppan in the bullpen with Villaneuava and send Parra either away in a trade or to AAA. To me Parra is just a younger version of what Suppan has become. Unreliable. He needs time to dominate in AAA if he has any chance to succeed for very long in the majors. That's why I suggest trade as I think you could get more than his current value back. I think Suppan should be the mop up guy in blowouts. he's good for the innings and we don't have to blow up the bullpen so half of them aren't available for several days. Macha could even abuse him a little in those games, who really cares. Suppan could also spot start when needed on short notice. We're paying him either way so we might as well use him in these types of situations. Plus if we stick Parra in the bullpen and don't use him regularly he won't have any chance at progressing. Narveson is the only pitcher of the bunch here that I won't just see as an automatic loss every 5th day (unless we are playing Pittsburgh or Houston as anyone has a chance those games)

I'd actually give the 5th spot to Narveson, put Suppan in the bullpen with Villaneuava and send Parra either away in a trade or to AAA. To me Parra is just a younger version of what Suppan has become. Unreliable. He needs time to dominate in AAA if he has any chance to succeed for very long in the majors. That's why I suggest trade as I think you could get more than his current value back. I think Suppan should be the mop up guy in blowouts. he's good for the innings and we don't have to blow up the bullpen so half of them aren't available for several days. Macha could even abuse him a little in those games, who really cares. Suppan could also spot start when needed on short notice. We're paying him either way so we might as well use him in these types of situations. Plus if we stick Parra in the bullpen and don't use him regularly he won't have any chance at progressing. Narveson is the only pitcher of the bunch here that I won't just see as an automatic loss every 5th day (unless we are playing Pittsburgh or Houston as anyone has a chance those games)

Parra would have to be traded. He is out of options and there is no way he makes it through waivers. I like Narverson but I am not ready to give up on Parra. Lets see what he can do with a good pitching coach and then evaluate him

It'll be Parra. Suppan's in Macha's doghouse for having to be reminded to throw offspeed pitches on numerous occasions, and Macha said that Narveson pitched well at the end of last season, but nothing in his minor league stats jumps out at you. Therefore, by process of elimination, it's Parra.

While I think the Brewers would be better with Villy (or someone other reliever) in the pen instead of Suppan, as long as he's only used in blowout situations to save the productive members of the bullpen, he could provide some service to the team. Of course this spring (I know, small sample), he's given up a boatload of 1st inning runs, so maybe he won't even cut it as long man.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I know, just sayin that it still seems to be mental with Manny, he knew he needed a good game, and blew it

Manny probably knew this one game didn't matter, actually. Good lord I sure hope the Brewers aren't making big decisions that irresponsibly.

Jeff Suppan = good guy

Jeff Suppan = poor pitcher

Jeff Suppan = $14.5M of payroll no matter what

Lord knows, I want to know what's going to happen. And I'd love to see Suppan NOT pitching for the Brewers ever again. But with more than a week to go, we're all trying to make too much out of every line & shadow on every tea leaf. Much could still happen, such as:

- injuries to other Brewers pitchers not named Suppan

- the Brewers actually biting the $14.5M bullet now rather than later

- the Brewers, knowing Suppan's not realistically a bullpen candidate and that the $14.5M looms ominously, still make him the #5 to see how it goes, then eventually release him if it goes as badly as feared

I think we all know where this well could end up (and we'd all be very happy). What's more up in the air is the route the road will take to get there.

I have tickets to the April 15 game at Wrigley, the debut game for the #5 starter, so I selfishly want Narveson or Parra in the rotation, because I really don't want to drive 3+ hours to watch Suppan get knocked around. I'm really pulling for Narveson, the guy was a big time prospect for the Cardinals before injuries, and did great as a starter in September, I'd love to see what he does with a chance in the rotation, I think he is a real candidate to have a breakout season.

Archived