Brewer Fanatic

Rotation Battle 2.0 -- Latest: Suppan Named 5th Starter

Mass Haas
  • Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Scouts who have watched Suppan pitch in Arizona this spring say he is

completely cooked and no longer able to get major-league hitters out.

"

What's new? Apparently, they haven't seen much of him the past two years, because this has been the case for a while.

If Suppan does make the final roster, I have a feeling that it will not end well. I think most fans have totally lost their patience w/ him, and are ready to boo very loudly if he makes even the smallest mistake. I really hope this scenario doesn't happen, mostly because of the amounty of charity work he does for the city of Milwaukee, but I have a bad feeling that it will.
Why should Suppan be immune to getting booed out of town- because he seems to be a nice guy? He took the big money and didn't live up to his end of the bargain. Gagne, who was nowhere near as bad- and didn't make as much money was booed mercilessly, Hammonds was run out of town on a rail and Hall was sent to the minors. Sheets was booed off the mound his last game after pitching with a torn muscle in his arm. The idiots who booed him were the kind who said that he 'is always hurt' or 'is lazy and doesn't train enough'. At least Sheets was major league caliber when he actually played.

Who's to say Suppan didn't take the contract for granted and let himself go like a lot of players do after 'getting paid'? He's been busy messing around with the restaurant and other things out in California. He was almost average his first season here, and has been completely terrible since. If he's truly been injured the past two seasons, who's to say that's because of a lack of conditioning? If the Brewers keep him, they had better only use him in road games, because it's going to get ugly the first time that he goes out and gets rocked at MP. I don't boo much, because I think it makes you look stupid, plus I don't want to get into that debate again. That said, if deserved and I am there, I will join in the booing. It's gotten to the point where it's not even really about Suppan himself anymore. A message needs to be sent to management.

All I can say is that Suppan is lucky that he signed with the Brewers and not the Yankees or Phillies or somewhere where the fans would give him a really hard time.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
All I can say is that Suppan is lucky that he signed with the Brewers and not the Yankees or Phillies or somewhere where the fans would give him a really hard time.
But you forget, he came from St. Louis, so he is only used to classy fans!

I never said he should be immune to it, I just don't want to see that scenario happen, mostly because of the amount of charity work that he has done since he has been here. I hope he doesn't make the roster or is traded, and then I wouldn't have to worry about him being trashed by Brewer fans.

sheethead[/b]]If Suppan is trotted out to the mound at Miller Park this year, it is almost a certainty he will be booed at one point or another during that time.

That is very obvious, I just hope Melvin finds a way to make sure he doesn't pitch at Miller Park this season. I've always felt bad for guys like Gagne and Turnbow who were booed mercilessly by Brewers fans even though they would most likely do anything to have better results. It seems that a lot of fans sometime forget that these players are human and don't realize how much it probably bothers the players and their families.

Who's to say Suppan didn't take the contract for granted and let himself go like a lot of players do after 'getting paid'?
More likely, he was an overpaid 33 year old pitcher with marginal stuff.

I think if you really studied it, you wouldn't find much evidence of guys simply 'cashing in' after signing major contracts. Players fall off the map all the time, irregardless of their contract situations.

Seeing guys like Gagne repeatedly claw after minor league deals and pitch in independent leagues makes me think a lot of these guys just like playing baseball.

Suppan was never going to earn that deal because he was never a good pitcher. Stick him in a pitchers park with a good defense behind him and he was a 4.25 ERA pitcher in his prime. Add some minor injuries, a few more years, a hitters park and a mediocre defense to that and you get what he gave us.

They certainly won't cut Parra, so he's either the fifth starter or in the bullpen. There's nothing the Brewers can say to justify putting Suppan in the rotation, yet I won't be surprised at all if that's what happens.

Bush as the 4th SP reinforces my faith in the decision makers. However, Macha might continue to overvalue veteran-ness. As long as Parra is on the 25-man I guess I'll be happy, since performance will dictate that Soup is out of the rotation early into the season.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Haudricourt certainly caused a lot of angst by speculating Suppan was number 4 yesterday after he's clearly been the worst of the 4 guys competing. Thankfully as he has been many times, he was wrong. If Narveson's ticketed for the pen, isn't it slam dunk that Parra is number 5? I mean, they aren't releasing Parra, and they aren't going to have both Parra and Narveson in the pen.

So it's down to the last right handed pitcher in the bullpen. Do you go with the much younger Villanueva who at times has been very good out of the pen and shaky at other times but on balance has shown enough to be useful and who's been okay this spring, or do you go with an aging starter with very little relief experience who hasn't gotten anyone out this spring and surely won't be around in 2011, just because the other guy can be sent down? I'd cut the cord with Suppan.

I don't think Parra's earned the 5th spot over Narveson who's out-pitched him since last September 1, but I can understand the reasoning. If Parra starts out well, then everything is fine. If he's anything close to the train wreck he was at times last year, they'll have little trouble slipping him through waivers mid-season and replacing him with Narveson. Meanwhile, Parra can be on a shorter leash with Narveson to back him up.

This spring training game today is going to be an important one with Parra pitching right after Suppan. Both of them must be feeling the pressure since they are pretty much the two most important undefined roles so far. The game is on MLB.TV this afternoon.

So, I may never understand how any of the waiver wire stuff works, but let's say the Brewers do decide to cut Suppan. My assumption is that he would be DFAed....correct? Or, would he just be put on waivers? If some other team picked him up, what would their obligation be as far as contract? If no teams picked him up, could he then accept a minor league assignment with the Brewers, or decide to become a FA? Is there any of this that could take the Brewers off the hook (at least partially) from a financial stand point?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

If Bush wasn't in the rotation it would be a sign that Suppan was since I see no way they carry four lefties in the rotation.

What's the difference between 4 RHP and 4 LHP?

I'm guessing the difference is that most hitters are righties. 2 or 3 LHPs in the rotation are good to mix it up during a series, but 4 is too much (unless they are all Randy Johnson type pitchers).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I'm guessing the difference is that most hitters are righties. 2 or 3 LHPs in the rotation are good to mix it up during a series, but 4 is too much (unless they are all Randy Johnson type pitchers).

Performance is performance no matter which arm they throw with.

I'll take a rotation of 5 LHP if they have good ERAs and WHIPs.

zzzmanwitz[/b]]I'm guessing the difference is that most hitters are righties. 2 or 3 LHPs in the rotation are good to mix it up during a series, but 4 is too much (unless they are all Randy Johnson type pitchers).

Performance is performance no matter which arm they throw with.

I'll take a rotation of 5 LHP if they have good ERAs and WHIPs.

Well that was kind of what I was saying in regards to Randy Johson. However when you are talking about a 4.40ERA/1.3Whip LHP vs a 4.75/1.35 RHP (these are just random stats) and having a mix in the rotation, just choosing the "better" pitcher may not be so simple. When you are facing predominatley RH lineups and you have no righties to throw at them, you don't ever force them to use their "weaker" lefty hitter in any of the games of a series. Not to mention, you are not giving teams different looks in a 3 or 4 game series. So, performance is not just performance. Perhaps these "better performing" LHPs would not do as well in an all lefty rotation.

This spring training game today is going to be an important one with Parra pitching right after Suppan. Both of them must be feeling the pressure since they are pretty much the two most important undefined roles so far. The game is on MLB.TV this afternoon.

I'm not so sure this game isn't merely meant to showcase Suppan and hope against hope he pitches well enough that some team will be willing to take him for pennies on the dollar. I think essentially naming Bush the #4 starter was Suppan's death knell as a Brewer. I hope it's not just wishful thinking.

Archived