Brewer Fanatic

Rotation Battle 2.0 -- Latest: Suppan Named 5th Starter

Mass Haas
  • Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow im done with this site, after reading some of these comments, some of you guys are the dumbest "Brewers fans" I have ever seen. Seriously, be a FAN.

Ridiculous.

Who are you referring to?

Shouldn't a fan want the best possible team to be on the field? I don't see nearly as many "we'll boo him off the mound because he is a bum" as I often see at NSBB over players who are significantly better than Gazpacho.

Wow im done with this site, after reading some of these comments, some of you guys are the dumbest "Brewers fans" I have ever seen. Seriously, be a FAN.

Ridiculous.

Exactly, we are "fans". That means we can have opinions and share them here. And the majority of us very much dislike Jeff Suppan and the decision to give him the 5th starter spot because he is not good for the team. He will more then likely hurt the team. But that is MY opinion.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Haha, go back to page 14 and 15 and you will see what im talking about. I dont care what you say about Suppan, but dont talk about the team in the process. Its ridiculous some of you can call yourself "fans"

Seriously, learn how to be a fan and not just a blogger than critiques everything.

Here is my thoughts on it...

1) Jess seems like a good enough guy. I never have said I didn't think he was a good person as I have only seen positive things from him community wise.

2) Number 1 has no basis for who I want to pitch or who gives the best chance for the Brewers to win. I do not think Jeff starting gives us the best chance hence I, as well as others with the same sentiment, are a little unsettled by this decision.

3) A lot of people are wondering if money played a part in the decision and if it did, why? The money is spent and gone, now only the players who give us the best chance should be in.

4) To go along with number 3, looking at last years numbers and the downward trend of Jeff's numbers (as well as many pitchers at that age) it seems like Jeff, more than likely, will not have a very good year. Also, we have younger options that COULD do better this year and build for the future.

5) If he does start, even if I do not like it, I will root for him and the Brewers. If he fails, I will want someone else to get a chance and the quicker the better.

Haha, go back to page 14 and 15 and you will see what im talking about. I dont care what you say about Suppan, but dont talk about the team in the process. Its ridiculous some of you can call yourself "fans"
What defines a "true fan" in your mind?

I'm guessing a "true fan" is never allowed to question the decisions made by a team's upper management.

Obviously the condescending remarks are uncalled for, but I think I might somewhat see what BREWERPRIDE is referring to.

Hoping that Suppan gets shelled seems a bit silly. However unlikely it may be, I hope that Suppan comes back and pitches lights out.

If I saw these comments on here once in a while, id just ignore them, like I have been, but I see them WAY to much and I HAD to say something, it makes me sick that you guys can say some of this stuff about the team you cheer for.

I never said you cant question the management either. Whatever though, I said my part, if you dont see it then I feel bad for you.

I dont care what you say about Suppan, but dont talk about the team in the process.

it makes me sick that you guys can say some of this stuff about the team you cheer for.

I never said you cant question the management either.

So to recap; We can say anything we want about the players (Suppan) and the managment (Melvin/ Macha), but we can't say bad things about "the team". What aspect of "the team" have people been badmouthing in this thread besides the management and Suppan?

I guess I missed where anybody wanted the Brewers to lose. I saw somebody post about Suppan getting shelled in the minors, but I don't think winning in the minors is really all that important. The minors is for getting ready for the big team. I also saw lots of questioning of the decision making behind putting Suppan in the rotation. I also see no problem with that. Suppan may be a really really nice guy but I really don't care. He is a poor pitcher. Even that wouldn't matter but we have better options.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Who is making this decision? Is it Macha or is it Melvin? I can't believe Macha would be this stupid, but if Melvin had something to do with it I'd understand. Melvin doesn't want his $12 million pitcher in the bullpen which in itself is stupid.

Doesn't this team realize that the 3,4,5 games that Suppan is going to lose will end up killing us at the end of the year when fighting for a playoff spot? This team goes out in the offseason to try and shore up the pitching staff and they just give the 5 spot to Suppan over better options? Just plain dumb.

In regards to their job descriptions, Melvin decides who is on the roster and Macha decides how the players should be used. I'm sure there is some input from both on both decisions, but I bet Macha has more say on the rotation.

If I saw these comments on here once in a while, id just ignore them, like I have been, but I see them WAY to much and I HAD to say something, it makes me sick that you guys can say some of this stuff about the team you cheer for.

I never said you cant question the management either. Whatever though, I said my part, if you dont see it then I feel bad for you.

Not leaving, I guess?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think you belong on a Cardinals fan site since we are not classy enough for you.

I see a great many people making a very well thought out and developed argument that keeping Suppan because of the money he's owed and jettisoning a younger pitcher with better upside in the process would be a colossal blunder.

No one has said you to have to agree with any opinions presented on this site that are contrary to your point of view, but to question someone's intelligence when they make well thought out arguments contrary to your opinions is just as over the top as you claim the rest of us are.

The problem isn't us, I'm sorry to say the problem is you.

Ohh and by the way some of us dumb fans don't even have a page 14 or 15 as we have our options set to view more posts per page. Maybe if I wasn't so dumb I'd do the math to figure out which posts you referring to.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

First of all, the odds of Suppan throwing reasonably well for 4 to 5 consecutive starts are slim to none.

It's clear that you believe this. Have you actually looked at Suppan's game log last year, or are you letting your hatred of Suppan destroy any logic or reason? Starting with the 3rd start of the season, Suppan went at least 5 IP for 7 straight starts, and didn't give more than 3 ER in any of them. The Brewers went 6-1 in those starts.

As for people bashing Brewerpride, you have a post 4 posts in front of him where someone is going to bet against the Brewers. Post 265 wants Suppan to give up 20 runs in his first inning (not in the minors, on April 15th).

I was hoping Narveson would get the 5th spot, but I understand the move. Nobody wanted Narveson when he was released last year. Narveson went on to do well, but he doesn't have a significant history of success, and Suppan was better than Parra last year.

I hope Suppan does well and the Brewers go to the playoffs and then other pitchers have progressed so well that Soup doesn't have a role as the Brewers play for the World Series.

However unlikely it may be, I hope that Suppan comes back and pitches lights out.
Sure, I think everyone here would love to see Suppan come in and pitch very well, since he is getting the chance to start for the Brewers, deservedly or not. However, does anyone realistically think that can happen? I saw him pitch in person at spring training, and I just don't think he has any "stuff" left at all (and he never had that much to begin with since signing with the Brewers).

At the time I supported signing him, since we desperately needed a reliable SP at the time to just take the ball every fifth day. I think there may have been some more intangible positives to the signing, but at this point, those positives are far outweighed. It's clear he has declined significantly since '06, and I just don't want to see him get more than a handful of starts to show if he has anything left. If they keep trotting him out for half a season or more when it's clear he is "done" as an effective MLB starter, I will be quite disappointed and frustrated with Melvin.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I like the move...I think Suppan will keep do fine as the fifth starter.

Looking at his starts last year...he pitched solid in 14 starts, poorly in 13 starts and ok in 3 starts.

That is good enough for me out of 5th starter.

I think Narveson may pitch his way into the fifth spot, but right now I sure did not want to see Manny Parra come into the colorado series when the Brewers had a lead...I have less confidence in him to grind through his struggles than I do in Suppan grinding through his struggles.

The question for me is Narveson may be more important as a reliever right now than as a starter.,..

I think the brewers are worried that if they release Soup and then someone gets injured then we could be in trouble in a hurry. By doing this they have options if people get hurt or struggle. I say mind as well give soup one last shot, if he falters have a quick trigger and figure out what to do with him then. If he gives us a chance to win every other game then we are ok. If he struggles early you have 2 guys that can come in a relieve him for several innings.

You don't know that for a fact. Even if you don't agree with the decision, you have to at least acknowledge the upside. If he can go out and throw reasonably well for 3 or 4 starts he has trade value. If he doesn't have that opportunity he has NO trade value. I just don't buy what End said, it's NOT a decision that can only hurt you. You people act like it's impossible for Suppan to pitch 6 innings and give up 3 runs. It's not. and if he can have a couple outings like that, they're in abetter position to move him and free up money for a player that can help in the stretch run. Parra will start, probably sooner rather than later. But c'mon, it's not like they're making Sandy Koufax sit on the pines. (Man, I can't believe I've somehow become a Macha/Suppan defender.)

First of all, the odds of Suppan throwing reasonably well for 4 to 5 consecutive starts are slim to none. Secondly, even assuming that were to amazingly happen, I don't think that Suppan would have any trade value unless the Brewers were willing to absorb at least 90% of his salary. I guess if the Brewers want to risk sabatoging the season in an attempt to save a million dollars, this is the strategy they should take.
No , the odds are higher than slim to none. I understand you're dead-set against this decision, but don't diminish your point by using statements like this. He's not worth his contract this year, I get that. He's not Cy Young, I get that too. But neither is Manny Parra, look at his numbers last year. Does Parra have an upside? Sure he does. But pitching out of the pen for a while won't hurt him, could even help him.

Secondly, we have no idea if the Brewers would have to eat 90% of Suppan's salary. If he shows that he can still get through 6 innings, he has value. Especially for teams that have injury/performance problems in their rotation. Will the Brewers have to eat SOME of Suppan's salary? Sure. But again, I would rather give myself the opportunity to have another team pick up at lest half his salary and get something back in return- all while getting a few decent starts out of the #5 spot. For me, that's a bigger upside than the downside of Suppan getting shelled vs Parra getting shelled. Because history has shown that's almost a pick 'em bet.

Finally, Macha is taking the heat but none of know if this move was dictated (or at least suggested) by Melvin and/or Mark A. Those things are almost always denied by the parties involved, yet we're not naive enough to believe that doesn't go on in pro sports.

I'm wondering if the snowy weather up here in Appleton is gonna ruin the plans for Soup's rehab start tomorrow.

With a forecast for 55 and sunny on Friday, I'd assume he'll still go unless that's not enough to melt the snow. Personally, I'd like to see him pushed back to Saturday, so he starts in Chicago on Thursday and not Wednesday when I have tickets.

So now, we have Manny Parra and Chris Narveson who somehow are supposed to stay ready to go 6 innings by throwing bullpen sessions presumably, backing up Suppan? If this being his final year coming off a poor 2009, and a poor spring isn't enough to dislodge him from the rotation, I fear it's going to take a fairly dramatic stretch of 4-5 straight starts of really poor results to dislodge him. He's probably still capable of sticking a couple lines in there like 5 2/3, 7 Hits, 3 Runs, 3 BB, 2 K every 3rd start and management will act like that's acceptable, even if he doesn't get past the 3rd inning a couple other times.

What of Manny Parra now? If Suppan does just enough to keep a job all year and the other guys stay healthy, doesn't what little value Parra had coming off such a poor year in 09 reallly erode to virtually nothing anyway? Does anyone really think that a year long stint in role of that the immortal Matt Ford once held will do any more for his career than 2003 did for Ford who was nothing after that? Don't we all hope that by next spring, someone will have emerged from the system to challenge for a rotation spot anyway? It seems Macha trusts Narveson enough to use him on a fairly consistent basis, so that's less of a worry but this role for Parra might just derail a career. Maybe the solution is to trade Parra if there's someone out there interested.

Archived