Brewer Fanatic

Rotation Battle 2.0 -- Latest: Suppan Named 5th Starter

Mass Haas
I'm not sure if you can say the injury is "nonsense." They apparently had him get an MRI and found some kind of legitimate neck injury. I doubt they are just faking the whole thing just to mess with people.

Haudricourt mentioned this on the radio this afternoon, and noted that MLB does actually check out DL injuries. You can't just make something up and stick a guy on the DL and get away with it.

That's all well and good but this isn't the first time Suppan has had a conveniently well timed DL stint either.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did Narveson run over Melvin's dog in the parking lot or something? Seriously, what does the guy have to do to get that 5th spot? This day started out with so much promise, I actually allowed myself to think that maybe the Brewers wouldn't give a washed up pitcher a rotation spot over a young guy with some promise just because of a bad contract.

Was anyone else thinking that maybe Nate Robinson should have been in our picture? I mean it's obvious they don't like Parra right now, and that Narveson for all his good work is never gonna get the opportunity except in the case of injuries. Can't wait to see how much cash the Tigers sent along.
He is too short to be effective though he may help with the pickup game versus the Cubs.

I'm not sure if you can say the injury is "nonsense." They apparently had him get an MRI and found some kind of legitimate neck injury. I doubt they are just faking the whole thing just to mess with people.

Haudricourt mentioned this on the radio this afternoon, and noted that MLB does actually check out DL injuries. You can't just make something up and stick a guy on the DL and get away with it.

I think they've been sending Soup's MRI's to some of those shady 'pain clinic' doctors in Florida, we've been hearing about where people will drive hundreds of miles in order to get painkiller prescriptions. Apparently those guys can find some stuff on an MRI that most doctors can't.

That's all well and good but this isn't the first time Suppan has had a conveniently well timed DL stint either.
I'm sure a lot of common injuries which players play through would qualify for the DL. If Suppan were having a good spring, they'd probably just have him play through it. But since they need him out of the picture, and they can send him to the DL, they're taking advantage of it. This is a smart move.

The timing of Suppan's DL stint last year was just terrible, we were already short handed when he went to the DL. Really baffling why people would think last years was fake. This year may be but I wouldn't jump to conclusions about it, if they did an MRI it is unlikely to be fake because that leads a paper trail that can prove it was fake.

Did Narveson run over Melvin's dog in the parking lot or something? Seriously, what does the guy have to do to get that 5th spot? This day started out with so much promise, I actually allowed myself to think that maybe the Brewers wouldn't give a washed up pitcher a rotation spot over a young guy with some promise just because of a bad contract.
Exactly.

Ask yourselves if they just went from the end of last year into this year, would there have been any reason to remove Narveson from the rotation? Remember at the end of 2009, he was in the rotation. Yes they did add two starters and subtracted one, but Narveson has been outstanding this spring too. There's no justification for him not only being the 5th starter. Heck he should be the 4th starter.

Being in Arizona, I'm not quite sure Melvin, Macha and company quite have a read on the depth of angst and virtual unanimity among Brewer fans on this issue. On this and any other fan forums, there's almost no Suppan defenders. I'm not sure booing will get the point across but what else can fans do when management is so oblivious to the mood of the fans?

What does the mood of the fans have to do with putting a winning baseball team on the field? Melvin and Macha have jobs to do, and that is to win as many games as possible for the Milwaukee Brewers. If they do a poor job, they get fired. I don't see how anyone could think that personal feelings and/or grudges could have anything to do with a decision they make about Suppan. Taking the mood of the fans into account when making roster decisions is exactly what I don't want the decision makers for my favorite team to be doing.

I was thinking about this this morning. What would be the reaction if Narveson got a nice bump from the crowd when he plays in one of the exhibition games? I have never been one to shy away from booing, yet at the same time this would be a very positive way to get your point across without booing. Just a thought.

I'm not sure booing will get the point across but what else can fans do when management is so oblivious to the mood of the fans?
Enunciate enough to remove all doubt that fans could be saying "Soooouuuuuuup"?

I myself fall more on panthernick's side and would prefer to be extra enthusiastic when Narveson pitches. However, there is no need to revive the booing issue.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Just heard Macha on 1250 with Doug and Mike. In one breath he made it sound like Suppan was his first choice to be the fifth starter ("he could be that guy"), then was asked when Narveson would get a shot at being in the rotation and gave his usual "let's see how it shakes out, trying to put the best five guys out there, blah blah blah" answer.

Not very helpful, in other words.

I just don't see how they can possibly say Narveson hasn't earned a rotation spot at this point. Maybe they don't think he could go long enough in his starts. Maybe they don't think Suppan could be effective at all coming out of the pen. Still at this point, the writing seems to be on the wall.

I just hope when Suppan inevitably does start, he is given a VERY short leash. Like, two bad starts and he should be DFAed/cut/whatever.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

What does the mood of the fans have to do with putting a winning baseball team on the field? Melvin and Macha have jobs to do, and that is to win as many games as possible for the Milwaukee Brewers. If they do a poor job, they get fired. I don't see how anyone could think that personal feelings and/or grudges could have anything to do with a decision they make about Suppan. Taking the mood of the fans into account when making roster decisions is exactly what I don't want the decision makers for my favorite team to be doing.
Normally I would agree with that sentiment but this case is different. You don't win as many games as possible by not putting your best players on the field. I've seen enough baseball as have many fans to know Suppan isn't their best or even 2nd best option. This is being driven entirely by Suppan's contract and the hope, however slim, that Suppan if given one more chance will at least partially vindicate Melvin (and Attanasio too) for what was a really bad signing. Macha's stuck in the middle here. He wants to please his boss.

Melvin's not going to lose his job even if Suppan makes 15 starts and has an ERA of 10. Attanasio thinks he walks on water.

They are paying him $12.5 million this year. He is paid based on his history of providing 30 starts, 180+ innings a year. Traditionally veterans don't win or lose jobs based on Spring Training. They are going to give him 10-12 starts to show he can do what he was hired to do. If he can maintain Mediocre Jeff Suppan role, he'll keep trotting out there every 5th day. If he can't and one of Parra or Narveson are pitching great, then they'll make the change.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but this is what Veteran Gamer-Good Ole Boy status gets you in MLB.

The timing of Suppan's DL stint last year was just terrible, we were already short handed when he went to the DL. Really baffling why people would think last years was fake. This year may be but I wouldn't jump to conclusions about it, if they did an MRI it is unlikely to be fake because that leads a paper trail that can prove it was fake.

Last year sure, but in 2008 I seem to remember most people believing his first DL stint in 12 years was pretty conveniently timed.

Mind you also, I'm not saying the injury is fake, but rather that if we didn't have this log-jam for that role, he probably wasn't going on the DL for it at this point.

I'm not one to root against the Brewers, but if Suppan gets the April 15 start, I hope he gives up 20 runs in the first inning. Maybe, just maybe that will be what it takes for the Brewers to realize that having him start will hurt the team.

If this whole ruse is (as it appears) a way to keep Suppan on regular starts leading to April 15, my hope right now is that they are just going to give him the starting spot for the first month while the 5th starter gets irregular playing time, and will hand it to Narveson or Parra once the off days become more rare and the 5th starter gets regular starts. Back to reality, I think we have to prepare ourselves for another year of Jeff Suppan as a regular Brewers' starter.

On a side note, how are our RH relievers going to hold up with three lefties in the pen?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Maybe they just DL'd Suppan to shield him from his Opening Day 'welcome' to Miller Park. I've come to the point where I've decided that if Suppan makes one start this season, we know who is calling the shots, and that's Mark A.. Love them or hate them, Melvin and Macha are both baseball men, and even though they may be stubborn in the name of 'patience', they just can't be this stupid. I think that most of us have had a job where the boss has some stupid idea that we know will be a complete and utter failure, but we are forced to carry it out because they will not listen to reason. I think that may be happening here. There is no doubt in my mind that if/when Suppan makes his start, it will be a complete disaster- I hope it's at Miller Park.

Was anyone else thinking that maybe Nate Robinson should have been in our picture? I mean it's obvious they don't like Parra right now, and that Narveson for all his good work is never gonna get the opportunity except in the case of injuries. Can't wait to see how much cash the Tigers sent along.
He is too short to be effective though he may help with the pickup game versus the Cubs.
He may be short, but he does have the hops the Brewers want.

Per McCalvy's latest blog post:

Rehabbing Brewers right-hander Jeff Suppan threw a bullpen session on Tuesday and will head out for a Minor League start later this week. Assuming that goes well, there were strong indications that he will return as the Brewers' fifth starter, perhaps as early as next Wednesday or Thursday in Chicago.

Brewers manager Ken Macha said he would probably reveal more about Suppan's travel plans on Wednesday, when the team wraps up its season-opening series against the Rockies. Off-days on Thursday and Tuesday are allowing Macha to operate for now with only four starting pitchers.

"There are a lot of different ways it could go, so just let us figure it out," he said.

Asked whether the most likely scenario had Suppan stepping in as the fifth starter, assistant general manager Gord Ash said, "It could be, but we haven't got that far yet."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I hate when I predict doom and gloom and it comes true but it looked all along like Suppan was going to be the 5th starter regardless. Suppan may very well outpitch both Parra and Narveson, and I still won't feel any better about the situation. I just makes me livid that we are paying our 5th starter the most money in the rotation and while any production is better than no production, I really hope this cycle of signing FA pitchers halts immediately.

Rivas, Rogers, Butler, and I'll even throw my boy Bowman into the mix really need to come through this season. It wouldn't hurt if Jeffress comes back and can actually pitch in the strike zone as well... of course I hope he's staying clean too.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I hate when I predict doom and gloom and it comes true but it looked all along like Suppan was going to be the 5th starter regardless. Suppan may very well outpitch both Parra and Narveson, and I still won't feel any better about the situation. I just makes me livid that we are paying our 5th starter the most money in the rotation and while any production is better than no production, I really hope this cycle of signing FA pitchers halts immediately.

Rivas, Rogers, Butler, and I'll even throw my boy Bowman into the mix really need to come through this season. It wouldn't hurt if Jeffress comes back and can actually pitch in the strike zone as well... of course I hope he's staying clean too.

Hopefully Arnett and Heckathorn can move through the system quick as well which they could both being college pitchers.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

A Lee Tunnell quote from last season keeps sticking in my head. He said that he thought Odorizzi was a more advanced pitcher than Arnett when they were in Helena together. Just because Arnett was a college pitcher doesn't mean he has the polish necessary to move quickly, he had a sort of a weird college career. However I do agree that it would be great for all of the projectable arms between Wisconsin and Huntsville to dominate this season.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived