Brewer Fanatic

Rotation Battle 2.0 -- Latest: Suppan Named 5th Starter

Mass Haas

According to Rob Neyer:

There are two Disabled Lists, the 15-day and 60-day. The only real difference between them is that players on the 60-day DL -- sometimes called the Emergency DL -- don't count against a team's 40-man roster.

To be placed on either Disabled List, a player must be certified disabled by a doctor. That said, such certifications generally aren't particularly difficult to acquire.

Players can be disabled retroactively, up to a maximum of 10 days, beginning with the day after the last day on which they played.

A player on the 15-day Disabled List may be shifted to the 60-day DL at any time.

According to the Rules, players on a Disabled List "may be assigned to a Minor League Club for the purpose of injury rehabilitation for a maximum of 20 days in the case of non-pitchers and 30 days in the case of pitchers."

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know very few on here are suppan fans...but I think he would performa about as well as last year and the Brewers would win 45% of his starts...not the end of the world for a fifth starter.

i don't know if Parra can match that...I think Narveson might be able, to...but no guarantees.

With Suppan, he is very much a jeckyll and hyde pitcher, on the games he has it going, he still can be effective and with the Brewers offense, the Brewers could still get wins when he pitches.

Well, Narveson pitching 3 innings and Parra pitching 2 innings tells me that they are both headed to the pen. Suppan's DL stint can be back-dated to March 26, meaning he can be activated on April 10, which is the first possible day we would need a 5th starter. They are likely just DLing him to get an extra arm in Villanueva until he's needed, and so he can pitch on his regular day in the minors to get ready for whenever he is needed as the 5th starter.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Well, Narveson pitching 3 innings and Parra pitching 2 innings tells me that they are both headed to the pen. Suppan's DL stint can be back-dated to March 26, meaning he can be activated on April 10, which is the first possible day we would need a 5th starter. They are likely just DLing him to get an extra arm in Villanueva until he's needed, and so he can pitch on his regular day in the minors to get ready for whenever he is needed as the 5th starter.

I think this is pretty much spot on, Melvin's comments today felt like setting up a rational, which is a bit aggravating.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/89560922.html

Well, this article pretty much confirms my thinking.

Both are preparing to be in the bullpen and manager Ken Macha thinks that’s probably a good idea since the next time either man pitches it will probably be in relief during one of the two exhibition games at Miller Park this weekend.

Because the Brewers won’t name a fifth starter out of camp and one won’t be needed until the second week of the season, those two will not make another start for the foreseeable future. Instead, they’ll become relievers and if one of them is named the starter during that Chicago Cubs series, Macha said it shouldn’t be a problem to have either go from relief to starter.

However, it could be that neither guy gets that turn in the rotation. Jeff Suppan could be off the DL by then and Macha just said it is possible that he could get that start.

“I’m thinking that may be,” Macha said. “None of that has been discussed (yet). We’ll wait until we get to that fork in the road before we take it.”

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

PrinceEatMeat wrote: either go from relief to starter.

However, it could be that neither guy gets that turn in the rotation. Jeff Suppan could be off the DL by then and Macha just said it is possible that he could get that start.

“I’m thinking that may be,” Macha said. “None of that has been discussed (yet). We’ll wait until we get to that fork in the road before we take it.”

When they get to that 'fork in the road', they better just stick it in Suppan- he is done. Scour the waiver wires for end of camp pitching cuts and pick a few up for depth at Nashville. Send Soup back to the restaurant after his stint on the DL. Everyone knows this 'injury' is nonsense, let the guy go, and if he wants to continue playing he can scour for a job elsewhere. Why risk getting the player's union upset at the Brewers again after the Hardy fiasco last year?

I'm not sure if you can say the injury is "nonsense." They apparently had him get an MRI and found some kind of legitimate neck injury. I doubt they are just faking the whole thing just to mess with people.

Haudricourt mentioned this on the radio this afternoon, and noted that MLB does actually check out DL injuries. You can't just make something up and stick a guy on the DL and get away with it.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Was anyone else thinking that maybe Nate Robinson should have been in our picture? I mean it's obvious they don't like Parra right now, and that Narveson for all his good work is never gonna get the opportunity except in the case of injuries. Can't wait to see how much cash the Tigers sent along.

Haudricourt mentioned this on the radio this afternoon, and noted that MLB does actually check out DL injuries. You can't just make something up and stick a guy on the DL and get away with it.
This is true in that MLB doesn't just rubber stamp anything the teams submit, but there's no doubt that shenanigans often taken place.

Was anyone else thinking that maybe Nate Robinson should have been in our picture? I mean it's obvious they don't like Parra right now, and that Narveson for all his good work is never gonna get the opportunity except in the case of injuries. Can't wait to see how much cash the Tigers sent along.
According to MLBTR, they sent the Marlins $9.6MM of the $10MM he is owed in 2010. If no one was willing to pick up more than the minimum on Robertson, there isn't much hope anyone would be willing to pick up more than the minimum for Suppan.

As for acquiring Robinson...Yeah, I'd probably take him over Suppan. Then again, I'd take any of Parra, Narveson, and possibly Marco Estrada over Suppan.

I still wouldn't boo Suppan, but I might just enjoy hearing the song of the boo birds come April.

Archived