Brewer Fanatic

Macha's managers briefing comments today; Latest-- Axford optioned to AAA

GormanHarvey

Villanueva might well be optioned but there was no way they were going to do it on March 23rd. They are basically down to 13 pitchers now. It would be premature to option a guy who would be your final cut with more than a week left. Sure it looks like they want to keep Suppan, but what if he gets blasted 2 more times? Or what if a guy comes up with some soreness between now and opening day? Hawkins has already had such a setback.

Villanueva hasn't exactly been bad this spring either with a WHIP under 1, 10 K's and 0 BB.

The move in question is the optioning of Axford. After he was bad in his first appearance, he's been very good before giving up that run today.

Reading the blog in the JSOnline and TH's tweet on the subject, it's pretty clear that's what Macha meant. It's too early for any of the other legitimately speculated things to play out.

Well since Melvin and others are really high on Axford I could see what Macha was talking about. I think Axford is going to be the closer for the Sounds this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Axford back in Milwaukee sometime this year someone is going to get injured or be ineffective and Axford is going to get the first call up for a bullpen spot.

Archived