Brewer Fanatic

Speeding up a notebook computer

Hammer

Hey all,

Sorry for yet another computer-related question but I own a HP notebook with Vista that is getting VERY slow. I have tried to erase as many garbage files as possible, I have done a disc clean-up and have closed as many of the running programs as possible but it is still very sluggish in going between applications, it doesn't always shut down properly (gets stuck in the shut down process) and it basically acts like it is 5 years old when in reality it is only 14 months old. Any hints?
Thanks,

Hammer

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I think that I have read around the net (or maybe it was here) that backing up your most important, can't-live-without files on an external drive of some sort is a great start and then wipe the laptop's drive with a fresh install.

Of course, that means re-installing all your programs (not to mention the drivers for all your drives, video cards, etc.) but it's a good thing to do every now and then, from what I've read.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

My laptop was doing the same thing (only with XP, and I have a Dell). I got an external hard drive, saved everything to it, and reformatted. It takes some time to get your programs back and everything updated again, but it was well worth it.

How much RAM? An often very inexpensive way to boost performance is to install some more RAM to the machine. Also, as others have said I would highly suggest backing up to a hard drive (which everyone should be doing already) and reformatting. You'll get a big boost in performance. Also get rid of Vista for Win 7.

Yeah, always do a backup just before reformatting, even if your system is buggy. In addition, I'd back up important documents separately and use this separate backup to restore them. Before copying your documents to your redone system, make sure they're scanned for malware.

When installing your OS and reinstalling your software, set restore points and create backups religiously. The law of averages dictates that there's bound to be a hiccup somewhere--either software error or human error. Also, backing up while setting up will give you a clean OS--with some programs included--for the next time you need to redo your hard drive.

I read somewhere recently that it's best to keep one's hard drive less than half full. I knew that you're not supposed to approach the "full point," but I didn't realize that the threshold for performance decline around was as low as half full. Take a look to see how much of your hard drive is currently in use. You may want to drop in a new one before doing all this work.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Windows 7 runs like a champ. I actually use it on my netbook (which had a default install of XP).
You do a clean install or an ugrade? I've been putting off putting on an upgrade install on my Vista-64 since I'm somewhat leery of doing upgrades.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
1992casey wrote:

I read somewhere recently that it's best to keep one's hard drive less than half full. I knew that you're not supposed to approach the "full point," but I didn't realize that the threshold for performance decline around was as low as half full. Take a look to see how much of your hard drive is currently in use. You may want to drop in a new one before doing all this work.

Similarly, I've heard 2/3's full as the 'you're really pushing it' point.

About a month ago I was working on a slow speeds issue for someone, and found that their 120 GB hard drive had exactly 136 meg free space. Talk about packing it in.

About a month ago I was working on a slow speeds issue for someone, and found that their 120 GB hard drive had exactly 136 meg free space. Talk about packing it in.

There isn't much room to top that, but I can. On a friend's computer, I tried to download a 20 MB file. It wouldn't fit.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived