Brewer Fanatic

C Matt Treanor traded to Texas for INF Ray Olmedo; Kottaras Almost Assuredly to Backup Zaun

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Ray Olmedo Career Statistics -- he'll be 29 May 31st and will likely be in Nashville

He was not on the Rangers' 40-man roster and was re-assigned to their minor league camp on Sunday. At this time, no word on any "out clauses" or such, as we've been reading about a bit with others as of late.

A 29 year old middle infielder(who also dabbled in 3B and the OF) who has a career OPS of .529. Pretty much a case of Doug had no place for Treanor, so may as well get something of value for him, i guess.

With Gamel on the DL to start the year and Iribarren gone, they just needed another middle infielder at Nashville. They had an extra catcher.

So because they cut Iribarren they had to look for a middle INF for organizational depth. And since Texas had just picked up Iribarren, they no longer had a need for Olmedo. It's a funny world, this major league baseball.

I hope they do give the back up job to Kottaras. Reports I got from friends in New England indicated he's a solid catcher.

Brewers get to keep the younger catcher, and add an organizational player for minor league depth....all for a player who would have been allowed to walk away.

I assume that, in making this trade, Treanor will be the backup in Texas (otherwise, he would just exercise the same 'out' clause there as he would with the Brewers)....with Teagarden playing almost every day in AAA.

Makes sense for all parties involved, as I see it.

Glad to see that they're leaning towards Kottaras. Having a back-up catcher who can put up a line of .230/.320/.400/.720 for $400K a year sounds good to me. The optimist in me sees a very solid Kottaras/Lucroy tandem in the near future.

Good. Kottaras still has upside, whereas Treanor does not. Glad they didn't go with the grizzled vet.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I've no problem with them picking up an organizational soldier for the cost of carrying Matt Treanor in spring training either. Even if Kottaras falls on his face, there are Treanor types out there to be had for basically nothing. Not to mention Lucroy and Salome.

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

Archived