Brewer Fanatic

Dustin Hermanson

The White Sox declined a $3.65 million option on Hermanson because of his iffy back situation.

Hermanson was out almost all of 2006 but he did return late in the year and reportedly threw the ball well (16 K's in 13 2/3 innings at Charlotte, 5Ks in 6 September appearences for Sox).

He's a quality reliever if well enough to pitch. Certainly worth looking into his health for an incentive laden type deal.

I love how everyone always says the Yanks and Red Sox are going to snatch up all the quality players. Honestly, I don't think Hermanson is going to leave the Central, be it the AL or the NL. Thus, I think he would be a quality signing to be the bridge. I could see him getting an "Eyre"-type contract, given his injury history weighted against his ability to close games, in the off chance that Coco, Turnbow, and Capellan all falter.

I'll probably pass unless he's really cheap ($500K) or reasonable and guaranteed to come to camp healthy (about $1M). Dude had an incredible 2005 at age 32, but has historically been pretty mediocre, which isn't intriguing when you add the injury situation.

However, he made quite a few starts just 2 years ago, so he could be a better spot-starter than the awful performances we watched this season.

A lot of speculation was that his injury last year would be career-ending, so its pretty remarkable that he's back on track. I don't think he'd have too high a price on the market, but I feel like he's going to remain in the AL

Archived