Brewer Fanatic

Joe Mauer signs 8 year, $184 mill extension with Minnesota Twins

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WOW! did not see this coming! well, good for the twins. he is a one of a kind player. catcher is more of a premium position than first base....isn't it?? joe mauer's play at catcher is worth more than prince's at first right??

If the Twins can sign Mauer to this type of extension there is NO REASON (other than what the Billy Beane Moneyball fanatics on this board want you to believe) for us not to be able to have the money to sing Prince. We draw just as many, if not more, fans then Minnesota does. No excuses not to get this done now...

This is interesting, because I don't see the Twins being able to sign any more guys after that big of a contract. I am happy that he won't be going to Boston, NY, LA...staying home in Minnesota. I hate all things Minnesota, but for some reason, I have been a Twins fan most of my life. I even got to go to Game 2 of the 1991 World Series. I'm glad to see Mauer stay where he belongs, and I hope this means we have an outside chance of keeping Fielder.

joe mauer's play at catcher is worth more than prince's at first right??

Absolutely. This contract really doesn't have much, if anything, to do with how much Fielder will get.

Why do you say that? I'm curious..
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I have a lot of friends who are Twins fans which definitely helps create a bit of a rivalry but I am glad to see this. Mauer is a great player and seems like a good guy so it is good to see him stay with a small market team. My only question is approximately what percentage of the Twins payroll is going to be going to Mauer?

If the Twins can sign Mauer to this type of extension there is NO REASON (other than what the Billy Beane Moneyball fanatics on this board want you to believe) for us not to be able to have the money to sing Prince.

The issue isn't whether the Brewers have the money to sign Prince. They do. The question is what is a salary that Prince will accept and that accurately measures his value and injury risk.

I've seen people say that the revenue increase of the new stadium will make up for the increase in pay to Mauer, so the Twins have the challenge of continuing to develop young talent to play with their signed talent.

That is a long and big contract for a injury prone position (and player) but I agree with everyone else here that I'm glad for the Twins. Sometimes the cost can be high, but the knowledge and peace of mind provided for a team knowing that their franchise and keystone player will be around for the better part of a decade is very nice to have. I'd say I'd be nervous but mostly comfortable with Fielder getting a contract similar to this. Knowing that we'd have Braun and Fielder together for a long time is some good peace of mind.

Edit: Sentence fragment

Right now the 2011 Twins payroll has $67.5M going to 7 players in Mauer, Morneau, Nathan, Cuddyer, Baker, Harris and Span. Cots has the current Twins payroll at $95M, so that would seem to be what the Twins think their new revenue will allow them to budget, so Mauer's future salary represents about 24% of the possible payroll.

If the Twins can sign Mauer to this type of extension there is NO REASON (other than what the Billy Beane Moneyball fanatics on this board want you to believe) for us not to be able to have the money to sing Prince. We draw just as many, if not more, fans then Minnesota does. No excuses not to get this done now...

We draw more fans, and we should be able to resign Prince. However, you must keep in mind that the Twins have one of the richest owners in Major League Baseball. Now that Carl Pohlad passed on, the purse strings have been untied. If Mark A had as much money as the Pohlads, i wouldn't doubt a deal would happen. However, given ownership's limited funds, i can see it being a problem. Hopefully i am wrong as we will see a deal announced at some point.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

The Twin Cities are not a small market. They're mid market. The Twin cities metro area is twice the size of the Milwaukee metro area. The only thing more annoying then calling the Twins a small market club is calling the Marlins a small market club.

Good for Mauer. If that's what Fielder wants, forget it. Like others have pointed out, we are not in the Twins league as far as owner money or market size.
I fear if we don't extend Fielder then we won't be in the Twins league as far as wins and postseason appearances, IMO.

Can someone please explain to me why the owner's net worth is relevant in any of these payroll discussions? What owner, in what sport is actually paying his player out of his own pocket? I've never understood the fascination with the "deep pockets" owner... it's meaningless. The only thing that matters is how much money the team and league generate to make payroll. Unfortunately in baseball the revenue generation is left almost exclusively to the individual teams, so the payroll is limited in a very real way by market size, and the not individual wealth of the owner.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Twins don't play in a small market, their payroll has been limited by a bad stadium deal.

Also the owner still does decide how much of the revenue goes back into the team so it does matter somewhat.

Archived