Brewer Fanatic

Mike Lowell?

http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_wiretap_archives/19332/20100321/brewers_mets_twins_marlins_scouting_lowell/

Chicago Tribune - The teams scouting Mike Lowell include the Mets, Marlins, Brewers and Twins.

His surgically repaired thumb appears fine, and a trade appears likely as the Red Sox don't want him stuck behind Adrian Beltre, Kevin Youkilis and David Ortiz. "He can still really hit, he can play first and can probably go to third once in a while.

If the Red Sox pay most of the $12 million, this guy is a valuable asset to any team,'' a scout told the Boston Globe.

I proposed a Suppan/Lowell deal in a thread back in December. As I said then though I think the Red Sox would need a "sweetener" because they have little use for Suppan. Lowell at least would figure to be a positive contributor.

That the Brewers are scouting him is a sign they aren't terribly comfortable with Inglett and/or Edmonds and might prefer a right handed bat off their bench and to back up Prince.

Well I think Suppan for Guillen is doable but that would be a situation where the Brewers would actually making themselves worse.

I think a Royals fan would probably say just the reverse. Certainly, neither is a prize but by far Guillen's best year in the last 4 seasons was 2007, when he was also in a contract year. He may not be able to duplicate that at age 34 anymore, but the guy is more like to spike up from 2009 than is Suppan. Plus he plays a position of relative weakness on the Brewers, RF, and at worst would give them something they don't have right now, a right handed bench bat.

The spot of being the biggest ass on the team. Both Suppan and Guillen are replacement type players. But replacement level starters who can go out for 150 innings are rareer then replacement level right handed hitters who can't hit of field. And for all Suppan's faults, he isn't an ass.

God no. Lowell isn't worth Salome. He isn't worth much more than Suppan.

Guillen would take Gomez's place if the world was right...

That is a pretty big downgrade given how terrible of a fielder he is at this point and he isn't necessarily even a better hitter.

Nothing. Boston wants to dump Lowell. Suppan for Lowell isn't a bad deal if the Brewers pay off the option, though they may have to throw in a Dillard type relief arm.

If Guillen were to take Gomez's spot, Gerut would start and Edmonds would be the primary backup leaving 5 PAs a week or so for Guillen as a PHitter and then he'd be cut if Gomez gets his offense together in Nashville. That said Guillen is not worth the pain of taking him on even in exchange for Suppan.

Yeah I agree the crew would have to throw in something just to let Boston save a little face. I'd love to see Lowell in at 3rd 2-3 times a week.

I don't get the obsession here. He's an above average player who will be 36 this year, but we already have 3 much younger and much cheaper players at 3B in McGehee, Heether, and Gamel (who is a top prospect). If McGehee regressed 50 points of OPS he'd still be as valuable as Lowell offensively, Gamel has the potential to be a .900 OPS guy down the road plus he already struggled his way to a league average OPS last season, and Heether provides very solid depth., where's the upside with this move? Would 3B even be upgraded by this move?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The upgrade would be mostly in the pitching department as Suppan would be gone and we wouldn't have to release or demote someone like Narveson, Parra or Bush. Lowell would add some nice depth to the bench in case McGehee struggles and Gamel is still injured. He would also be the first right handed pinch hitting option as well.

This would be a nice move only if they could get rid of Suppan and use Lowell off the bench. If they don't loose Suppan, or plan on starting Lowell, then forget it.

Lowell would have no place on this team. None. As Crew07 pointed out, we already have plenty of 3B types that are younger and cheaper. I respect what Lowell was able to do even last season, but the injury signs are there that he is going to start regressing pretty quickly.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I love Mike Lowell, but there is no reason to trade for an expensive, old, average offensive 3B that can't play 3B well anymore when you have a stud MLB-ready 3B prospect like Gamel. Plus, McGehee seems to be a nice utility-type player, so Lowell as a backup 3B is also superfluous. Lowell really only fits with an AL team where he can play a little 3B, a little 1B, and DH.

Stop the madness. Please. Why are so many people so inexplicably down on Gamel?

Edit: I should note that Lowell is valuable as a hitter, but he's not a great fit with the Brewers in my mind. And Salome would not be enough for the Sox to take back Suppan and his salary (he would be cut) while also paying most of Lowell's salary. You can buy better prospects with $18 mil.

It would be Lowell for Suppan straight up since the salaries basically match. Its almost certainly why the Brewers were scouting him. Lowell on the Brewers would back up 1B mostl and be the lone RH bench bat. His time at 3B would be non-existent with Counsell already on the roster.

Archived