Brewer Fanatic

If Edmonds makes the team, will he decide to stay?; Latest-- Edmonds added to the 40-man roster (reply #54)

logan82
If they keep Edmonds and he agrees to stay, it seems pretty clear that whoever ends up being the 5th OF guy between Edmonds/Gerut will end up being a very unhappy player. Both are lefties, both think they should get significant playing time, and both could fill in here and there at all three OF spots. Usually the 5th OF job on a team ends up going to a guy just happy to have any kind of MLB job regardless if it included very limited playing time. That doesn't seem the case as to how either Edmonds or Gerut would handle the 5th OF job and eventually i could see it becoming a clubhouse problem.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff
They had a perfectly appropriate 5th outfielder (right-handed bench bat as well) in Jason Bourgeois, who would have been thrilled in that role. Looks like Bourgeois may indeed break camp with the Astros.
What exactly did you see in Bourgeois that you liked? I thought that he was brutal, and looked completely lost at the plate. Going further, considering the #5 outfielder last year at this time was Chris Duffy, I think that Edmonds is definitely a step up, no matter how old he is.

He struck out seven times in 37 AB's (not hideous), but a .520 OPS in that same sample isn't going to wow anybody. Just thought he was entering his age 28 season in 2010, but Bourgeois has experience all over the infield as well, and basically we're talking about a need to move runners, steal a base, etc. -- 5th outfielder, right?

John Briggs discussed it in a way I agreed with back at the time of his waiver claim release.

By the way, Adam Stern is having a decent camp, (1.087 OPS in the small camp sample), and with Trent Oeltjen's reassignment to minor league camp today, could be the default beneficiary if Edmonds bails out. Bourgeois would have provided more than Stern.

Realize that I'm not making a capital case of this, nor did Briggs in the link.

I sincerely hope Jim Edmonds doesn't make the team. I've never liked him throughout his career, and nothing about his time here in Milwaukee says "savvy veteran aims to put his experience to use to help a young team". He seems very mercenary, and these latest comments are designed to put pressure on the Crew to play him regularly. I say we be the good guys and cut bait so that he can spend the idyllic fairytale summer he seems to want, with his family.

I don't know if this was referenced, but this was in McCalvy's latest inbox:

In the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel story, Edmonds says he would face a

"tough decision" if the Brewers were to offer him a roster spot. The

article speculated that Edmonds, who is in Brewers camp on a Minor

League contract, might decline such an offer and spend another summer at

home.

He backed off those comments on Sunday afternoon.

"That didn't come out right," Edmonds said. "Because that's not true."

Emphasis mine.

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but it seems like AW may have taken some comments and ran with them.

Follow me on Twitter

He seems very mercenary
He hasn't been a mercenary at all. He played 7 seasons with California/Anaheim, then 8 with St. Louis. He then got traded by St. Louis to San Diego, released by San Diego, and signed by Chicago.

Did anyone seriously think we were going to miss Cole Gillespie this much?

Looking at Arizona's depth chart maybe we could get him back. I would hope that Melvin is watching the waiver wire and looking at guys out of options around the league who are bubble guys in the OF. I'd much rather have a guy still in his 20's than Edmonds as my 5th outfielder.

Did anyone seriously think we were going to miss Cole Gillespie this much?

Looking at Arizona's depth chart maybe we could get him back. I would hope that Melvin is watching the waiver wire and looking at guys out of options around the league who are bubble guys in the OF. I'd much rather have a guy still in his 20's than Edmonds as my 5th outfielder.

I'm not really losing any sleep over a 5th outfielder.

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but it seems like AW may have taken some comments and ran with them.

I was very suspicious that's what had happened, but no matter how I re-read the article, I couldn't find any way in which AW had done that. Typical. Who knew a troll could get a MLB beat writing gig?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This article was linked in BCB today. Not sure if there is any other way to interpret it. I would like to believe that Witrado took things out of context or exaggerated them but since the start Edmonds has sort of given us the impression he wanted at least all the at bats against RHP.

Asked by FanHouse if he was OK with being the fourth outfielder and

playing a couple of times a week, Edmonds said, "I don't know if that's

going to be enough."

"It depends on the role," he said. "If the role kind of diminishes, then

I feel like I can just walk away. If it stays true to what they said

and I get a chance to play a lot, then I'm all for it. We'll see how it

goes."

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

He doesn't seem very committed to the idea of being a role player with a team first type attitude. He really shouldn't start ever in CF on this team and I can see him whining for playing time. I really wish Ojelton would've made the team instead. As others have pointed out this just doesn't seem like a good fit.

I hope he makes the team, and stays on the team. I wasn't a huge fan of his when he played for the Cards and Cubs, but I was very excited when the Brewers signed him. I'm suprised people are wanting guys like Trent Oeljten and Adam Stern to make the team over him, if he has anything left at all he will be a very solid addition to our team. Worst case scenario, is he has a bad attitude and they release him. Best case is he stays healthy provides a solid veteran bat and helps the Brewers win games.

How much do you want to bet that this is the "unpopular decision" Macha is going to make today? Edmonds out.

Since he had 5 RBI today I bet it isn't him or at least if it was him they won't go ahead and make the move today.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How much do you want to bet that this is the "unpopular decision" Macha is going to make today? Edmonds out.

Since he had 5 RBI today I bet it isn't him or at least if it was him they won't go ahead and make the move today.

Yup, you're right.

He seems very mercenary
He hasn't been a mercenary at all. He played 7 seasons with California/Anaheim, then 8 with St. Louis. He then got traded by St. Louis to San Diego, released by San Diego, and signed by Chicago.
I wasn't referring to his career, I was referring to right now...

If the Brewers give Edmonds the amount of playing time he seems to want, that would pretty much have to turn Gerut into strictly a pinch hitter given both backup outfielders are lefthanded unless someone got hurt or Hart was brutal.. They aren't going to trot out Edmonds 2-3-4 times a week and also having Gerut in the lineup very often, if ever. Gerut isn't going to like that at all.

If Edmonds is on the team, my guess is both our backup outfielders aren't going to be happy with their amount of at bats, especially if Gomez doesn't really struggle at the plate.

I just found this on hotstove.com

http://www.hotstove.com/2...k-away-from-the-brewers/

This is exactly what I was thinking this "announcement" was. They were probably going to make a move with him, but then he comes up with 2 hits and 5 RBIs.

Why would they want to give him a roster spot if he is not committed 100% I think they need to talk to him, and tell him exactly what his role would be, and see if he will accept. I think he could have a HUGE role. Backup 1st and CF, RF, with spot starts and pinch hits probably everyday.

Who does Edmonds think he is, Brett Favre?

If he wants to play then fine. If he thinks he's earned the right to make out the lineup card, let him go elsewhere and bring in Jermaine Dye or let Adam Stern who's had a better spring stick around. I'm sure he won't mind the inactivity.

In a part time role I think he's better than Hart. I'd endeavor to play him half time. But on the other hand I don't like players dictating playing time. If Hart becomes the player he can be Edmonds has to accept a diminished role. I think management does owe it to a player to explain his role to him, but that's pretty liquid for the Brewers because of such uncertainty in CF and RF. He's going to have to remain flexible or we owe it to him to release him asap. It's a tough position right now.

I find it hard to believe the Brewers weren't clear about their projected role for him when he signed. My guess is he wasn't sure how he'd do in camp so he took whatever offer was on the table. Turns out he's feeling pretty good and the ego of a former star player is a hard thing to calm down. So now he believes he is capable of being a starter and wants the Brewers to release him if they don't give him that role. He's convinced he's better than Gomez and deserves to take his place. If he's not guaranteed to be the starting CF'er he'll refuse the major league contract offer.

Except he shouldn't back up CF (unless they decide to move Gomez down in which case its him backing up Gerut) and Fielder will play about 160 games. Braun will play fewer than that.

I'd personally accept the diminished defense with Edmonds in CF if he hits RHP close to how he did in '08 (.250/.362/.521/.883). That's production you don't just find off the scrap heap... normally. I typically think ST stats don't tell you anything you don't already know. However, heading into this spring, there was a bit of unknown surrounding Edmonds' bat speed. I think he's put those concerns to rest, and it'd be a mistake to let him walk. Beyond simply being without that kind of bat to face RHP, there's a decent chance he could wind up with any of the other ten or so clubs that will be vying for a playoff spot in the NL. I'd have to think there are several teams in each league that would improve themselves with him starting at a corner OF spot v. RHP.

Ideally for me, he's taking a couple starts from Hart & maybe one from Gomez each week, and then whenever Braun needs a day off here & there. Combining pinch-hitting with that role, I think Edmonds could pile up 350-400 ABs this season. He'd come close to seeing at least one PA in each game. Plus, in case anyone in the OF goes down with injury, we're not running Frank Catalanotto out there.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Edmonds in CF wouldn't be bad if we didn't have a better option in Gerut on the team already. Platooning Edmonds with Hart would probably be our best OF setup.

Sounds like Edmonds made the team. At least according to Tim Kurkjian. He apparently accepted with no promises about playing time.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived