Brewer Fanatic

Aaron Heilman

aracko

After being the arm on the mound when the Mets lost their chance at the series, would anyone here think Aaron Heilmans price would be lower than ever?

With the injuries and age in the METS rotation, would Doug Davis fetch us Mr Heilman? Glavine and Pedro are going to have a hard time coming back next year, and Doug Davis would give them some veteran stability in that rotation, as well as a inning horse. (If we would resign him) We would then have some extra money to go out and attempt to acquire a similar(Padilla, Maddux) or even a better arm(Schmidt).

Anyhow this isnt a discussion about what I personally think, would net us Heilman, but more about if you think he will be available this offseason and if you think he would be the huge help in the Pen I think he would. I even think he could get another go round in the Starting Rotation. I think Heilman might even really like it here in milwaukee, hailing from Indiana and being a midwestern guy his whole life(Notredame)

Let me answer it before it is asked.

"Why would the METS do this deal?"

Because he was the guy who gave up the dreams of Mets fans everywhere.

I doubt the Mets will pin this on Heilman, everyone can see starting pitching is a glaring hole for them right now, they won't jettison the bullpen on that logic.

If the Mets weren't in a money machine I think a deal for Davis might appeal to them, as it is, I expect them to land either Zito or Schmidt, or maybe they'll sign the guy who handcuffed them last night.

Aaron Heilman is a sweet pitcher. However, is he worth what it would take to get him today? Doubt it.

He's much more valuable as a starter. If I were a GM, the only way I'd trade for him is if my scouts absolutely convinced me he could start next year. Otherwise, you're trading for a decent bullpen guy, and paying a premium for him.

The Brewers could use Aaron Heilman, but for the bullpen, not the rotation. The Brewers are weak in 7th and 8th inning relievers and Heilmann has shown he can handle that role.

87 IP out of the bullpen? Capellan led the Brewer relievers in IP with 71 2/3. Nobody else was close. It would be like getting a reliever and a half.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
87 IP out of the bullpen?

Was that all out of the pen? I'm pretty sure he started several games for them.

EDIT: Nope, it was all out of the pen.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Willie Randolph stated in the New York Times today that Heilman and Milledge could be used in trades. LINK

What would it take to get both of these guys? I don't think anyone is going to give up an ace for Milledge, so a quality package around a starting pitcher might do it. Is Milledge able to play a serviceable CF? If so, these two would really fill a hole for the Brewers going into the next several years, with Heilman starting and Milledge playing CF. Just a note, Heilman will be 28 and Milledge will be 22 next season.

Getting both of them would be really tough because those two players together could be a large part of a trade to get a Dontrelle Willis type player. Regardless I do think that the Brewers do have a player that could fill their void at 2nd Base

Brewers

Billy Hall

Zack Jackson/Dana Eveland

Charlie Fermaint/Angel Salome

Derrick Turnbow

Mets

Aaron Heilmann

Lastings Milledge

Well I am not sure I love that trade but you need to get rid of value to get value. The only way the Mets would do that is if they wound up getting Barry Zito/Jason Schmidt, but I do think that seems relatively fair.

Brewers

Billy Hall

Zack Jackson/Dana Eveland

Charlie Fermaint/Angel Salome

Derrick Turnbow

Mets

Aaron Heilmann

Lastings Milledge

Well I am not sure I love that trade but you need to get rid of value to get value. The only way the Mets would do that is if they wound up getting Barry Zito/Jason Schmidt, but I do think that seems relatively fair.

Are you kidding me, no way is this trade fair. We are giving up to major leaguers for a high end prosepct and a setup man.

Turnbow for Heilman would be equal value. I don't understand why people are still down on T-Bow and want to dump him?

I'm not a Hall backer but in now way do I even deal him straight up for Milledge. Hall has produced in the bigs which Milledge has not.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Word is that Heilman really wants to start.

This is from Fox's Ken Rosenthal:

The Mets seem poised to trade right-hander Aaron Heilman, and Heilman would welcome the chance to start for another club. Heilman, who made all 74 of his appearances last season in relief, plans to again ask the Mets about joining their rotation, according to sources close to the pitcher. A negative response from the club will be followed by a trade demand. Heilman simply is not happy pitching out of the bullpen ...

I don't understand why people are still down on T-Bow and want to dump him?

You're kidding, right? I'm not saying there is absolutely zero chance he'll approach his old form, but I certainly understand why people are down on Turnbow. Dumping him means dumping his salary.

You're kidding, right? I'm not saying there is absolutely zero chance he'll approach his old form, but I certainly understand why people are down on Turnbow. Dumping him means dumping his sal[/i]

No I'm not kidding I think when he gets back on track he will have more value for us to trade. Right now he has very little value.

He may be a little overpriced for a setup man, but his value will go up.If we decided to dump every player who has a big contract and didn't perform there are some better candidates on the team.

OK, but you said you couldn't understand why people wanted to get rid of him. The guy couldn't get anyone out...that's a good reason. He may come back, but he may not. Surely, you can understand how some people can already write him off

I understand why people are giving up on him. However we should be moving a guy like Jenks to clear some payroll instead of a guy that might help us or that can regain more trade value. My point is he should not be on the top of the guys we need to move list.

Archived