Brewer Fanatic

Gamel Out Eight to Nine More Weeks -- Lat muscle behind right shoulder

Mass Haas

This might have been discussed already, but did Gamel admit he didn't warm up properly?

He very well may have, but I guess I just don't know if that directly is the cause of the injury. It could be, but players who do stretch properly get hurt too.

As many know, I'm a pretty big Gamel fan. This is not good news. I guess I wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets traded during the season.

Very accusatory & unprofessional for Drs. Anthony Witrado & Tom Haudricourt to diagnose the cause of the injury as improper stretching. It's pretty obvious that at least AW doesn't like him, and I can't really take him as an objective source when it comes to Gamel. I'm just assuming AW is the source of this nonsense.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Agreed rluzinski and TLB. I guess that is the point I was getting at...it seems that Gamel maybe made some mistakes in the past and his 'maturity' was questioned...and now his work ethic or something of that nature is questioned because of some type of 'troubled' past. I guess I really don't get it.

I've met Mat a few times and he's a great guy. I don't see him as a guy that is lazy or doesn't care. I hope this is more media based than anything, but still it doesn't paint a great picture of Mat for those that just read the JS.

I don't think there is conclusive evidence that warming up even reduces the risk to injury. I'm skeptical that Gamel's injury is one that he could have easily avoided.
Just from personal experience, I'd say I'm pretty sure that warming up reduces the risk to injury. I destroyed my shoulder the one time I decided to throw a few fastballs without warming up and the pain lasted the better part of 5 years.

Archived