Brewer Fanatic

Ron Washington tested positive for cocaine during 2009 season

areacodes

According to Jon Heyman of SI.com and now breaking news on ESPN, Texas Rangers coach Ron Washington tested positive for cocaine during a random drug test in July of 2009.

From the article:

Washington took the unusual step of calling the commissioner's office

shortly after he was tested following the 2009 All-Star break to warn

it that he might fail the test. Washington told the commissioner's

office and his Rangers bosses about his cocaine use before the test

results were known, and the team decided not to fire him after the test

did come back positive.

I didn't realize that managers and personnel are also being drug tested after the Mitchell investigation.

I don't think it's too big of a deal. There are two reasons this appears to be an isolated incident. 1. Washington called the commissioners office before the results even came in, meaning he was allowing for disciplinary action even if the test came back negative. Cocaine leaves the system in about 3-5 days. 2. He has taken many subsequent drug tests and passed them all. He's done all the right things to alleviate the situation.

This makes Tony LaRussa's problems look pretty quaint in comparison.

I don't know - any time you drink and go behind the wheel you are putting other people's lives in danger. If Washington did this in an environment where he was able to either fall asleep afterward or even get a ride home, I don't see how it's anywhere near as dangerous.

The constant testing post-incident shows that it hasn't happened again. What are the odds that LaRussa has had a drink or two since his issue took place?

I could be wrong but I thought he has some problems with coke when he played too.
I bet you're thinking of U.L. Washington. He was the dude that played with a toothpick in his mouth. I think that he was wrapped up in the Royals mid-80's cocaine scandal. Most of Ron Washington's career was also during the 1980's..... I find it impossible to believe that he never once did coke during his playing career, then did it on a whim in 2009 at the age of 57- a week or so before a random drug test, mind you. If he's telling the truth, he's the second most unlucky guy in the world next to Gary Condit.

Archived