Brewer Fanatic

Jeremy Bonderman available?

yoshii8

The Tigers would be looking for an impact bat, without a doubt, if they decided to move Bonderman, which I don't think they will do. While Bill Hall would make sense as a starting point, they already have the one SS in MLB that was arguably better than Hall this past year in Carlos Guillen. Otherwise, I don't see the teams matching up very well.

It's crazy that Bonderman is already arbitration eligible. It's another reason why you don't rush your prospects just to challenge them, as Bonderman spent the '03 season posting a 5.56 ERA as a 20-year old while learning the ropes at the big-league level instead of AAA or even AA (Bonderman never played at either level, as he was bumped up directly from A-ball).

Bonderman never played at either level, as he was bumped up directly from A-ball

To me, this is the ultimate head-scratching move. He probably should have just finished his second big league season, instead of his fourth. Now he's a 24 year power arm with close to 800 MLB innings (counting playoffs) on his arm already.

I'm not saying he's going to get hurt, because his IP have been judiciously increased and they seem to have taken precautions with him, but that's a lot of work for a guy who turned 24 three days ago.

Never realized it until the World Series, but Bonderman relies primarily on two pitches -- a 94mph fastball and a slider that ticks in only a few mph slower. Seems like a a repetoire that could present problems down the road.

"Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." - Warren Spahn

The Tigers would be looking for an impact bat, without a doubt, if they decided to move Bonderman, which I don't think they will do. While Bill Hall would make sense as a starting point, they already have the one SS in MLB that was arguably better than Hall this past year in Carlos Guillen. Otherwise, I don't see the teams matching up very well.

Colby I don't think this is too far off. I read somewhere that the Tigers prefereed Guillen at 1B. I was a bit shocked as he doesn't fit the mold of a bashing 1B.

Bonderman doesn't have a huge amount of pitches, but at his age he may still develop a 3rd pitch in the next couple of years. I love him and would think it great to see him in a Brewer uniform. I have him on my MVP 2005 brewer team.

That certainly is interesting. I would have never thought about Guillen moving to 1B, especially given all of the conversations here that are relative to a player's value at certain positions.

Obviously a lot of people wouldn't be very intent on trading Billy Hall, but the opportunity to pick up a young pitcher like Bonderman would be hard for me to pass up.

As for his pitches, I saw him throw a changeup on occasion, he just doesn't need it, similar to Sheets' and his power arsenal. As long as you have two really good pitches and pitch effectively using them, I think the 3rd pitch thing can get overblown sometimes. Curt Schilling has dominated games with his fastball alone because he's so good at putting it where he wants.

That would be an interesting deal involving Hall & Bonderman. If I had my choice, I would much rather have Ervin Santana than Bonderman. I would think the Angels would have interest in Hall (3B) and seem to be a better match up with the Brewers.

If the Brewers do decide to deal Hall for a pitcher like a Bonderman or Santana, I would like to see them shore up 3B, perhaps in a deal of underperformers, Davis to Houston for Ensberg?

Anyways, it should be an interesting offseason, and it'll be equally interesting to see the trade value of those getting dealt.

That certainly is interesting. I would have never thought about Guillen moving to 1B, especially given all of the conversations here that are relative to a player's value at certain positions.

Obviously a lot of people wouldn't be very intent on trading Billy Hall, but the opportunity to pick up a young pitcher like Bonderman would be hard for me to pass up.

Colby I'm amazed that they would move Guillen to 1B instead of getting a big banger there. Seems like they might be more worried about keeping him healthy and playing. He is a solid hitter and with time even get better at 1B.

I would take Bonderman over Santana in a heartbeat. Bonderman has been threw ups and downs already so he is mentally ready to play. Throw in the fact that he has World Series experience he could become a front end stud for a number of years.

I think it's ridiculous to think Bonderman is "available." Think of it this way -- would you make him available if he had come up with the Brewers? A 24-y-o starter with velocity and stuff like him? Come on. He has only thrown 200 IP once, this past year. And in his two prior years (not Prior, thankfully for him), he went, respectively,

184 IP

189 IP

On top of that, he was a combined 25-26 for a team that went 143-181 in that span. Are we really trusting a fantasy baseball site for insider hot button info?

For all the press Verlander got, Bonderman is just as valuable to that organization. They made it to the W.S. with their current mix, and Guillen is a top-notch SS. Why would they make a change there, when they can improve big-time at 1B (a true power-hitter spot)?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree TooLiveBrew, Bonderman likely isn't going anywhere.

However, after digging around a little bit, the Tigers aren't opposed to moving Guillen to 1B. That much seems to be more supported, coming from their own press and their own fans.

And while the Tigers did make it to the WS with their current group, they started to fade during the stretch run, and they do need to improve their offense. Actually, they could be a destination for Barry Bonds. Dombrowski hasn't been shy about taking risks with free agents, such as Kenny Rogers and Magglio Ordonez, and he also has no problems negotiating with Scott Boras.

EDIT: It should be noted that Rotoworld got their information from a Detroit newspaper, so it's not like they're pulling this one out of their backside.

I agree that Bonderman most likely isn't going anywhere...but...the big hype over Verlander may make Bonderman a little undervalued. Everyone is talking about how good Verlander is, and the job Kenny Rogers did. Heck, even Nate Robertson started more games in the playoffs than Bonderman did. Has he fallen out of favor? Will the press that the other guys got make management feel any differently about him? While I agree it isn't likely, it is possible. Hey, this is what the offseason is for!!

Heck, even Nate Robertson started more games in the playoffs than Bonderman did. Has he fallen out of favor? Will the press that the other guys got make management feel any differently about him?

I know Leyland mentioned that he was worried about Bonderman's intensity and that it might hurt him in the World Series. Seem that he is pretty intense and they thought that an early game may have been too much pressure for him. He did give up 6 hits and 4 walks over the 5 2/3rd he pitched.

Archived