Brewer Fanatic

Turnbow done with comeback attempt

Invader3K

A shame to read about this. I always liked the guy. I hope Brewers fans remember how fun he was to watch, if only for a short while.

He was trying to come back with the Marlins.

Righty reliever Derrick

Turnbow said his comeback attempt with the Marlins was

over after he left today's Spring Training game favoring his shoulder,

tweets Joe

Capozzi of The Palm Beach Post. Turnbow told MLB.com's Joe

Frisaro that the pain in his shoulder today was ten times worse than

when he broke his elbow.

The 32-year-old Turnbow signed a minor

league deal with Florida back in January, hoping to get back to the

big leagues for the first time since 2008. He suffered from extreme

control issues after his breakout campaign with the Brewers in 2005,

walking 148 batters in 154 innings, majors and minors.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

No kidding, that's a shame. Usually when a Brewers reliever turns bad I turn on him, but somehow I never felt compelled to do that with Derrick.

I was happy to watch in person as he earned what now appears to be his final major league save. Good luck to him going forward.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I think Derrick Turnbow is a great guy but he was never a good pitcher. He is the perfect example of why a single season of success doesn't mean much for a RP. In a few years another ex-Brewer will be a 2nd example in Grant Balfour.

That's too bad. Didn't it all start at his bobble head night? Either way, he had a phenomenal year and won over the fans (and then lost many of them). He was a cool dude. I got a chance to speak to him a couple times and he absolutely loves baseball. He DVR'd about any game possible and was like a kid when talking ball. Too bad it ended this way, but a bobblehead with hair, that's somethin'.

http://www.fangraphs.com/...Brewers&dh=0&season=2005

Without a doubt my favorite Derrick Turnbow memory. Went to the game with my brother and two of my friends, all of us sporting Derrick Turnbow jersey shirts. With the team down 5-4 in the top of the 9th, Turnbow came in to strike out the side. In the bottom of the 9th, Fielder hit a 2-run walk-off.

My favorite Turnbow memories were when he made the Cubs look like little leaguers in either his 2nd or 3rd career save. He baffled Derrek Lee with a knee buckling curve to win the game. There was about 10 of us watching at my friends house, and we immidiately jumped on the band wagon.

The other one came when Turnbow was at his peak. My cousin was in town from Wyoming so we went to the game. When Turnbow came out to the mound with Metallica blaring and the crowd goin crazy, my cousin said to me "is it always like this, this is some sort of spectacle!" Turnbow struck out the side with 30,000 fans on their feet.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The guy was money when he could throw that change-up for strikes. Problem is he could only do that for about four months of his career.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

My memories are all negative. He cost them a division title in 2006. Had he pitched to his 2005 form, they'd have been close enough that they would have kept Lee for the remainder of that year. Kevin Mench would never have been a Brewer and Nelson Cruz might be in RF today instead of Corey Hart. His failures set into motion a lot of bad things.

http://www.fangraphs.com/...Brewers&dh=0&season=2005

Without a doubt my favorite Derrick Turnbow memory. Went to the game with my brother and two of my friends, all of us sporting Derrick Turnbow jersey shirts. With the team down 5-4 in the top of the 9th, Turnbow came in to strike out the side. In the bottom of the 9th, Fielder hit a 2-run walk-off.

ah, yes, the "cotton candy" game. Although the game was great to listen to on the radio--Prince's first career walk-off if I recall correctly--the middle innings were a great listen because Uecker got on a major tangent about cotton candy and had Powell and probably most of his listeners rolling. I think I've still got excerpts somewhere on my computer--the best being Uecker stuffing his face with cotton candy and then speaking into the microphone, "People say it's hard to talk with this, but it's not." Although it came out more like, "Perowp sag ith hrdt to tarrk wigh thsie, brt it's not."

Anyways, on topic, I'll miss Derrick being around the game. He had one glorious season, which is more than the most players can say and became a "rock star" as a result. I'm glad he did it in a Milwaukee uniform. Now we just need an BF.net interview with the guy.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

He'll have great stories to tell the grandkids. Good for you, man. You fulfilled the dreams of thousands of kids and played major league baseball. For a brief time you were successful in a key role on your team, the fans adored you when you came in the game, and you even were an All Star. Nobody can take that away from you. Hope you invested well. Thanks for wild, great times back 2005.

My memories are all negative. He cost them a division title in 2006. Had he pitched to his 2005 form, they'd have been close enough that they would have kept Lee for the remainder of that year. Kevin Mench would never have been a Brewer and Nelson Cruz might be in RF today instead of Corey Hart. His failures set into motion a lot of bad things.
wow, that's sure a lot to put on Turnbow's shoulders and a lot of leaps to make. and if you use that way of thinking, maybe having Kevin Mench as a mistake in LF motivated us to draft someone who could not only play 3rd, but potentially LF.

Turnbow was a reclamation project who got his chance and certainly made the most of it. maybe the success only lasted four months, but so what. every team in baseball would kill to have a waiver pickup be great for a season.

Community Moderator

The problem was not necessarily that he fell apart, it was that Melvin gave him too much money and Yost kept sending the poor guy out there. Everyone knew that he needed the bases empty to be most effective, but I remember him going out there several times with runners already on base and no control--with the fans ready to jump on him as soon as he threw 2 balls in a row.

My favorite memory is from the bobblehead night. The Brewers scored 4 runs in 30 seconds on back-to back bombs in the bottom 8th--before Turnbow came in and promptly gave up a bomb. Someone from the bleachers ripped off the head of his bobblehead and threw it onto the field--we ended up laughing instead of being upset about the loss. Of course, it all would have been forgotten if that line drive in the bottom 9th landed 6 inches farther to the right.

Turnbow is the reason why the Brewers finished 8.5 games back in 2006? WOW.

Don't you remember when Derrick Turnbow blew out Ben Sheets' throwing shoulder in the epic game of tug of war in July of 2006, leading him to miss half the season?

That is definitely too bad. The Turnbow memory I'll walk away with is how he always used to flip the bill of his cap up and down while walking around or between pitches. It was kind of a mindless thing that was a bit unique. That and how I felt bad for him when he initially hit a rough patch, it was obvious he was pressing, and yet he kept getting put into the same high leverage situations which led to more failures and a loss of confidence.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived