Brewer Fanatic

Following Ben Sheets [was "Sheets: 0 IP, 8 H, 9 ER on March 15th"]

cheesecup22
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While Ben threw harder for us in his prime, his location ability on his fastball was one of his best assets by being able to pitch on the corners for the most part. I haven't watched any of his starts, but i'd assume he's also had poor command of his curve and if that is the case, hitters can sit on his fastball. For any two pitch starter, if they loose command of their second pitch, they are dead in the water unless their fastball is in the high 90's that finds the black a lot. Hell, just remember Turnbow. Once he couldn't throw his slider for a strike, hitters would rake his fastball even though it was often 95mph and up.

For some reason, many fans mostly label productive soft tossers as command pitchers, but many guys who throw hard also are mainly successful because they have great command. We've all seen that the majority of big league hitters can hit hard any fastball if they know it's coming unless we are talking really high 90's heat, especially if those fastballs are catching a lot of the plate. Sheets ability in his prime and even just below his prime to throw his curve for a strike at any time is what added mph to his fastball because hitters had to wait back a bit to decipher what was coming.

I believe that was the motivation behind Beane signing him. He took the gamble that he would be legitimate trade bait at the deadline. He has a ways to go, but could get there with just 3 or 4 solid starts prior to the deadline.

I'd also guess that was a sizable motivation factor in signing Ben, but i'm still surprised that Beane gave him 10 million dollars. That's a lot of coin when his injury history and time out from pitching is factored in.

Oakland also took the gamble because they needed a big land to give them a shot at the AL West. Yeah its an expensive gamble but if you wanted an potential impact pitcher on a one year deal Sheets was about it.

Ben Sheets's fastball was good enough movement-wise that he can "afford" to lose a little bit if he still places it. A guy doesn't get by on two pitches if the only thing his fastball has going for it is 95 mph.

• 4 weeks later...

Sheets is now 14 ER in his past 6 starts (38 IP)... average of 6.2 innings per start, with a 3.31 ERA since the 2 game destruction. Very small sample size... but he might help somebody in the stretch run if the A's are out of it. He does have 14 walks in that stretch versus 36 strikeouts, but 14 walks seems high for Benny. Factor in 29 hits, and you're looking at 43 baserunners in 38 innings, for a very respectable 1.13 WHIP...

Man Doug Davis is sure working out well for us

It is weird how high his walk rate is, but it's probably still a factor of all that time off. Or just that he has become more fine with his pitches since he's not throwing as hard as he used to.

Archived