Brewer Fanatic

Following Ben Sheets [was "Sheets: 0 IP, 8 H, 9 ER on March 15th"]

cheesecup22

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe this is a better image, RyDogg. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

http://stratfordcharter.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/burnt_toast-724090.jpg

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I vaguely remember Benny habitually struggling every Spring Training. But I could just be making that up in my head.
He had an ERA of 9.56 in 2008. Don't have the numbers in front of me for previous years, but yeah, I think you're mostly right. I'd guess that his performance thus far is a combination of rust, "working on things", and not being as good as before.

Community Moderator

There's nothing wrong with him. The only thing that matters is his fastball velocity. Without seeing the start, I would say that it is actually encouraging based on him already throwing 91 mph at this point in spring training.

"I felt great," said Sheets, who missed all of last season following

Tommy John surgery. ... Today was a good day, and I felt like I was

going to get in some good work."

In addition, Sheets threw almost all fastballs.

He will dominate this year--as he did the 85% of the time that he was healthy as a Brewer.

He had an ERA of 9.56 in 2008. Don't have the numbers in front of me for previous years
Not sure if these stats are correct, since they seem to coincide with your figures, but espn has these:

2002: 5.18 era (24.1 innings)

2003: 3.05 era (20.2 innings)

2004: 7.86 era (18.1 innings)

2005: 8.10 era (6.2 innings)

2006: 27.04 era (2.1 innings)

2007: 6.08 era (13.1 innings)

2008: 6.55 era (11.0 innings)

I know this could be put in one of the other pitching threads, but I had remembered Narveson had a good spring his first year with the Brewers, yet didn't realize it was this good (if stats are indeed correct):

2008: 0.57 era (15.2 innings)

Regarding Narvy's 08 stats: I remember McCalvy or someone in a radio interview saying that one of the "decision makers" wanted to bring him North to start that year. Was that the year Simmons was bench coach? Maybe it was him.
Formerly AKA Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Archived