Brewer Fanatic

Carl Crawford

SJgunny
Value-wise, I think we could come up with some packages to put together for Crawford. Practially, though, I just don't think the teams match up, and see Colby's three-way idea as the only real possibility. They really don't have a need for infield or outfield prospects, which is what we have. They need pitching, and so do we.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think we need pitching, at least starting pitching. As alluded to earlier, we have both a steady pipeline of prospects coming, and a solid rotation of four to solidify Maddux's position. However, if we're going to make a proposal to the Rays, I would definitely say we go for Rocco. As pointed out earlier, he would seem to have less value right now, while playing THE premium spot (CF). And for those who believe Crawford's transition would be seamless, one need look no further than the Red Sox's great offseason addition (well there were "many") of Coco Crisp, the LF of the Indians. Rocco also has a pretty good arm, which would be a welcome surprise with our recent streak of Po's and Clark's arms.

What people are saying is "Crawford in left = pretty darn good. Crawford in center = great". Plus, we only really have Gwynn and Gross to fill CF, and neither is a lock to be a solid everyday player.

I understand this. I don't always agree with though. Crawford is an upgrade for the Brewers no matter if he plays LF or CF. Name me a player on this team that is better than him? He can bat in the top part of the order and add some speed to it, maybe we could move Weeks down in the order and extend our lineup with some more bats in it. I like Gross, but I would take Crawford over him anyday, and Gwynn has not proved a thing yet

I agree with lithium75. Hall is way too valuable to this team to trade him now. I'd be sick to my stomach if we gave up Gallardo for anything. Dealing Inman would sting, but I'd get over it.

Cappy for Crawford is an interesting deal anyways.

3TO Apostle

You have to ask yourself, can the Brewers replace Capuano?

Gallardo goes into the rotation and Crawford is a HUGE upgrade over any of our OF'ers. This team needs some pop (and speed) otherwise we are going to lose a lot of games next year 2-1 or worse if our bullpen gets involved. I don't envy Melvin's job this off-season, he has his hands full. Not to mention almost $11 million in "dead" money in our OF, UGH!!

I would definatley make Inman and Eveland available to them.

I'm really warming up to the idea of making a push for him though. I keep hearing about how Melvin wants to add speed to the lineup.

C - Miller/Rivera

1B - Fielder

2B - Weeks

3B - Koskie/Cirillo

SS - Hardy (or Hall)

LF - Crawford

CF - Hall (or Gross)

RF - Hart

With Gross (or Hardy) as top bench bat.

That lineup would excite me.

Per TampaBayOnline.com:

Quote:
LET THE RUMORS BEGIN: An unsourced report in the New York Post on Tuesday said the Rays will offer Crawford for trade this offseason in order to strengthen their starting rotation.

Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman doesn't comment on specific trade rumors, but he has said in the past that the Rays are open to any deal that would significantly strengthen the team. Any trade for Crawford likely would have to bring back an established major-league ace and two or more top-tier prospects.

An established ace and two top-tier prospects!? Ouch.

I don't blame TB for saying it, but in this market, there is absolutely no way someone will give them an ace plus two for Crawford. Depending on your definition of "ace" I doubt anyone would even do that straight up for Crawford right now, the demand for arms is just too great at the moment.

Take a look at the Yankees, starting Jaret Wright in an elmination game. That's a perfect illustration of what the reality is at this point, arms are worth more than bats, period. Which teams does TB consider to have an extra ace lying around anyway?

They might bite on that...an it wouldn't kill the brewers, so long as they tried to replace Capuano in some fashion

Value-wise, it may match up, but I think that'd leave the Brewers foolishly thin in starting pitching, as we need to have at least one very good starter behind Sheets, and Capuano's the best we have while Yo is the best hope we have for another #1/2. I'd be much more comfortable giving up Braun or Weeks so we don't end up being another Texas that loses games 10-6.

Quote:
Capuano

Yo

5-10 range prospect

I think that's way too expensive and not worth it.

Quote:
Maybe a Doug Davis, Mark Rogers and Zach Jackson deal.

I certainly wouldn't mind this trade idea, but Davis is probably not the "ace" the D-rays want though. Maybe if we sweeten the deal to Davis, Hardy and Rogers, the D-rays might bite. Currently the D-rays are weak at SS and adding Hardy as their starter would be an improvement.

i'm being realistic fellas...

davis, hardy, and rogers isn't get carl crawford...that package wouldn't get any superstar players...

i would probably do the cappy and yo trade, contingent on getting an arm back with him (jason hammel?) and the brewers getting another starter via free agency or some other methods..

I'd trade Davis, Gross, Rogers and Jackson for Crawford, but I wouldn't give up Yo unless we happened to also be getting Kazmir. I know there's no such thing as a pitching prospect (and ad nauseum with the Brewers), but you'd have to offer me something better than Crawford to get Yo off my hands.

The reason I said Doug Davis, Mark Rogers and Zach Jackson is that it would fill needs for the Rays. They could get a solid vet in Davis, a talent who could become a number one in Rogers, and Jackson would add depth to their pitching staff.

I could see the D-rays trading Crawford for some of our better younger arms like Zack Jackson and Mark Rogers. But I wouldn't give up on Gallardo, yet, as too many posters here (not everybody, mind you) are complaining about how we don't ever develop good young pitching like the Twins and Tigers.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived