Brewer Fanatic

Carl Crawford

SJgunny
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a package of Eveland and Gwynn may get it done. Dana could start for them, and Gwynn would be a cheap replacement for Crawford.

Wierdos19 is the sky pink in our world? No way does Evenland and Gwynn get this done. Crawford is a budding superstar. You are way to high on those two prospects if you think they will get that kind of talent. Mike Lynnn is not runing the D-Rays.

On the people concerned about giving up Yo, he is a prospect and that is it. He has not proven a thing at the big leagues. He easily could blow an arm at anytime. I will take a guy that fills a OF spot and top of the order player for a prospect anytime. Trade the extra OFer for some arms.

I agree, there is no way the D-Rays bite on a package of Eveland, Jackson, Gwynn, etc. for Crawford. If the D-Rays are looking for a top pitching prospect, Gallardo is probably the one player that could make such a deal happen, and I have to say for a player like Crawford I would be open to such a trade. Crawford would occupy CF for several years while providing a multi-dimensional threat (speed & power) from the leadoff spot that the Brewers have not had in a very long time (probably since Molitor).

It would be hard to part with Yo, but I firmly believe that the most successful teams not only use prospects to develop for their own use in the future, but to trade for proven MLB commodities. Crawford is plenty young and plenty talented to be worth such a deal, and I would be impressed if Melvin made such a bold move. Plus, moving Yo to the D-Rays wouldn't hurt as bad should he continue to progress since he would be playing in the AL.

Colbjack: "Crawford would occupy CF for several years"

Can I clear up a misconception about Crawford that Colbyjack and apparently most have?

Crawford is not a CF. Going into this year, he's been out there in only 51 of his 508 games he wasn't DH'ing. The bulk of the time, he's in LF.

Even when Baldelli (who is the D Ray CF) was out injured for more than a year, the D-Rays went with a combination of one time briefly a Brewer farmhand, Damon Hollins and speedster Joey Gathright.

Not that he probably couldn't play there but he's like Pods and Ricky Henderson in that he's better suited to left. I would imagine a nice speedy OF of Crawford, Gwynn, and Hart. With the return of Weeks, that would make for a fun team to watch on the basepaths as well as on the field.

I'm well aware that Crawford has played LF for his entire career, but from everything I understand, which includes a few converations with some of my colleagues that have been in love with Crawford since high school, he could more than handle the everyday duties of CF. He's in left more because of the presence of Baldelli, not so much in that he can't handle the position, and wasn't moved there when Baldelli was injured to somewhat maintain the positional balance so to speak.

If he can't play CF I really don't have much interest in him, although having Crawford in LF would make Corey Hart in CF a more realistic and permanent option. But as end already said, if Crawford can't play CF, I don't trade Yo for him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think Crawford rules, but didn't I read somewhere that he didn't WANT to play CF?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If you put Crawford in a corner he isn't worth giving up Yo for

Here we go again that people pigeon holing spots in the field for certain offense of numbers. I don't care what spot he plays in the OF he will put up some numbers that this team needs. He is young and not close to his peak yet. Just because some stats show is he is an average corner guy doesn't mean that he cannot help.

So is Yo ends up being a releiver down the road due to injuries or some crazy reason is he worth keeping?? Talent is talent doesn't matter what spot a guy plays.

Here we go again that people pigeon holing spots in the field for certain offense of numbers.

Some positions are harder to play and have lower average offensive production. Damian Miller is more than acceptable as a catcher, but would you want him at first? The numbers would be brutal.

What people are saying is "Crawford in left = pretty darn good. Crawford in center = great". Plus, we only really have Gwynn and Gross to fill CF, and neither is a lock to be a solid everyday player.

Trades depend on value given vs. value received, and the value of Crawford would depend on his position.

Crawford is just about the only guy I'd want to trade Yo for. The Devil Rays need pitching, and we could use a guy like Crawford. Yo is young with a huge upside, but so is Crawford.

If we could land Crawford in a trade and sign Jason Schmidt in Free Agency, I'll plan on skipping all of my evening class next October.

giffted1,

I'm with you. I think the Brewers need to aim high and think total picture. Taken on it's own, I wouldn't favor trading Yo for Crawford. Not that I don't love Crawford and think he'd greatly boost the offense.

But to trade a Yo, it has to be done to get you over the hump and give you an excellent chance not just for playoff contention but to be favored to get in the playoffs.

That's why I'd go after Schmidt first. A rotation with Schmidt, Sheets, Capuano, Bush and whoever in the 5th spot, immediately makes the Brewers contenders. Then sacrificing a great but unproven pitching talent like Yo for a great proven offensive player that can help in 2007 makes a lot of sense.

The fact that Crawford is young, improving, and signed for several more years, is very appealing.

On mlb trade rumors, an interesting discussion is going on, with a wide disparity in Crawford's perceived value. Some posters, who are pretty astute, are believing that Crawford's price tag would be a prime pitching prospect, such as Gallardo, plus 2 others quality prospects. I feel that Gallardo straight up for Crawford is an unabashed steal, but I think conventinal wisdom is starting to slide towards the thought that Gallardo alone would not be enough to swing that deal.

it might be something like yo, eveland, charlie fermaint

for

crawford, and shawn wooten (or elijah dukes)---these are just names i'd like...dukes is insane and i think the drays have had about enough of him

i doubt it would be one prospect for one mlb player...as good as yo is, you just dont see one prospect for mlb star type deals..

Pogo, I just can't fathom dealing away that kind of pitching talent. I feel Yo and Eveland both have the ability to be #2 caliber pitchers. Two #2's simply are worth more than Crawford.

By the way, since Crawford really supposedly isn't a CF, and doesn't have a great OBP for leadoff, where would he hit? Is he a 3-hitter? Weeks has better On base skills, hence why I ask

Yo is a possible true ace caliber pitcher. It is a whole lot harder to find a true ace pitcher than a .830 OPS LF. Gallardo could get injured, true but if Gallardo lives up to his potential, he will be way more valuable than if Crawford lives up to his. Crawford is already a proven good player, so there are benefits to the deal.

The problem is that a team who has a true #1 starter, true #2, #3, #4, and #5 usually don't make the playoffs. Small budget teams that make the playoffs usually have a #1 3 #2's and another guy, all who are young guys in arbitration. Gallardo and Inman are our guys who will fill these roles in the next 4 years. Seeing that we never draft College arms, and Rodgers and Jeffress seem to have questions about their control, we need them more than we need Crawford.

If all you care about is contending for the playoffs the next two seasons, and then starting over, fine, trade for Crawford. Deal away Gallardo, possibly Inman, and another guy. If you want to compete fot the playoffs the next two years, make the play offs in 3, and compete for the World Series after that we need to keep Gallardo and Inman.

Make this trade, and in two years, we could lose Sheets, Capuano could be gone in 3, and Bush soon after. Right now I don't see us competing with Parra, Eveland, Jackson, Rodgers, or Jeffress as our #1, #2, ect. #4 or #5? possible, but for us to make a World Series in the next 10 years, we need Gallardo AND Inman to succeed. Crawford can't get us there.

If we can get the deal done without Gallardo, I'd think about it. I would prefer to get it done without Inman. The bottom line is that it sounds like it will take at least Gallardo, possibly Inman, too.

Prediction? Lester and a couple of other prospects for Crawford. Boston wants to replace Coco Crisp, and they could care less that Crawford is not a center fielder. They'll stick him out there anyway. They probably don't WANT to lose Lester, especially with Shilling probably done, and Clement done for Next year, but they would probably just go sign Zito anyway.

I'm sure TB would jump all over Cappy for Crawford, but I really don't think Capuano is a player the Brewers can give up on at all.

I also agree that it would likely take more than Yo to nab Crawford, as the one story that talks about Crawford's availability mentions Ervin Santana as a possible return.

Colby we have lost w/ Capuano and in order to get a good OF, either you'll have to dump a garbage full of money into the players pocker or give up something up value.

Weeks and Crawford up top of the lineup would be REALLY exciting. Traget a pitcher in FA then or go with Gallardo and you'd have to find a #5 starter.

Colby who would be top prospects in the TB system that could possibly tip this deal into our favor (or yours). Don't say Upton http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I really, really like the idea of Carl Crawford on the Brewers, it's just I don't think I give up Capuano to make it happen. I understand that we have lost with Cappy, but that doesn't mean we will continue to lose with him. It's not his fault individually.

When you have a good, proven young pitcher I just think you do what it takes to keep that player. For the Brewers it's clear that they have had a problem developing pitchers, and I don't trust the Brewers competing with other teams in the free agent market to find a replacement for Cappy. That type of player, as Jason Schmidt has been suggested, likely will have several suitors prepare to overpay, and outbid the Brewers, for his services.

And like I said previously, Capuano for Crawford straight up is actually a pretty fair deal, so I don't know if any prospects would be involved to even it out. I believe pogo mentioned a multi-player deal that could involved a troubled player like Elijah Dukes, but unless the Brewers know his mom, priest and family doctor personally and are convinced they can turn him around, I want nothing to do with that head case. Upton as you noted clearly isn't going anywhere, and neither is Delmon Young. TB is also unlikely to move any of their young pitchers such as Wade Davis, Jeff Niemann, Jeremy Hellickson and a few others.

So I really don't know in that regard because I don't think the D-Rays will want to part with any of their young talent. I think what may be more realistic is if the Brewers decided to move Billy Hall for some reason this offseason, possibly in a 3-way deal. Just off the top of my head, maybe a deal like Hall to Minnesota, Slowey and another advanced pitching prospect (Perkins?) to TB and Crawford to Milwaukee? Don't flame me, like I said, that's just off the top of my head, and I'm not advocating trading Hall, but it may clear up the perceived IF jam while strengthening the outfield.

Colby, I woulld never flame you, I totally respect the work you do on this board and you are not an over the top pie in the sky type of fan (or poster).

I am a big fan of the minor leagues (fantasy purposes) and very much enjoy perusing your stuff, keep up the great work.

That being said if its not Capuano I don't know (besides Gallardo) what you could do to get this dela done.

What about Hall and Hendrickson or Eveland FOR Crawford.

I would do this in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure the D-Rays have much use for Hall, and I think they are intent on acquiring impact arms, not bats, at this point in time. Aside for B.J. Upton, they also have Reid Brignac and Evan Longoria moving up the chain that will be pushing for playing time in the infield in the not-so-distant future.

Hall straight up for Crawford otherwise is pretty fair if you ask me.

Carl Crawford for Bill Hall? I am not overly keen on quoting stats, and don't think that OPS is the best judge of offensive talent, but I do agree that there is some mathematical validity to OPS. That being said, A 26 year old short stop with a .900 OPS is more valuable than a 25 year old left fielder with a .830 OPS. Granted the 56 stolen bases with a high success rate helps, especially when Hall had 8 staels and 9 caught stealing this year. VORP or some other stat like that could prove that Crawford is a better offensive player, and I don't like the 160 strikeouts that Hall had, but it is tough to value someone who can play Left field, and possibly center field higher than someone who has proven that he can play SS, and 2b well, 3b adequately, and who looked natural in limited playing time in center field.

Hall must be valued higher due to power numbers and position bonuses. Crawford for Doug davis isn't enogh on our end. Chris Capuano for him would be fair, but I think we need to keep Capuano and Davis until Gallardo is ready, hopefully at the deadline. Also, I think that the D-Rays are looking for a prospect that will cost them nothing for 3 years, then not too much in the arby years. They are full on in the save money at all costs, and they wouldn't be able to Keep Capuano long enough for him to be worth giving up Crawford for. I think the only way we get Crawford is a package starting with Gallardo, and I don't want to get rid of him. Someone like Boston will pony up a Lester, or the Yanks will give up Humber. Someone will be willing to part with a nearly ready young blue chip arm for him, I just hope it is not Gallardo.

Archived