Brewer Fanatic

2010-03-14 Brewers (Suppan) at Giants (Sanchez), [Brewers win, 10-8], several game insights

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

It's apparent our spring training In-Game Threads are just informational game access posts for now. That should change a bit once the regular season starts, and remember -- CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM, CHAT ROOM!

Box score here

This is a WTMJ game with Bob and Cory.

NOTE THE NEW 3:05 START TIME AS ARIZONA DOES NOT FOLLOW DAYLIGHT SAVINGS.

MLB audio subscribers can listen here.

We think how it's working out is if it's a webcast (non-radio), it's free to all. If it's a WTMJ audiocast, you appear to need a subscription.

XM radio coverage on channel 183 (might be the Giants' feed).

Gameday, which is pretty much functioning normally for most of the action now, can be found here.

We know posts may be light here during spring training, and while posts are still welcome, we will be pushing our

Spring Training Chat Room

during all our In-Game Threads.

When you look at the list of all our Forums, you'll see how many are in the chat room at any one time. Schmooze with fellow Brewer fans who are into the team enough that they've made listening to spring training games a part of their day!

Shortly before game time, media notes should be available here, with scheduled pitchers and players from minor league camp listed.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

ON THE MOUND: After Jeff Suppan, also scheduled to pitch today (subject to change) is RHP Carlos Villanueva, LHP Mitch Stetter and RHP Chris Smith.

MINOR DETAILS: Joining the team from minor-league camp this afternoon is 1B Chris Errecart (#99), INF Eric Farris (#90), OF Caleb Gindl (#92), INF Zelous Wheeler (#95), RHP Mike Jones (#93) and RHP Juan Sandoval (#94).

This woman is butchering the national anthem.
Oh, wow, yes. I've never been a fan of the American Idolized national anthem performance, but this was particularly bad. And Bob noticed it: "Destiny...missed it."

By the way, the chat room is occupied, with plenty of room.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Soup dishing out 2 long balls in the first inning. If someone is giving him advise to give up HR's to make the starting rotation, I would listen to different advise if I were him.
Unless he's testing the Braden Looper method of giving up home runs, then somehow persuading his teammates to come through with the bats so maybe no one will notice.

Not only has he given up 4 HR but he's given up a bunch of other hard hit flyballs. If Parra, Bush and Narveson all keep pitching like they have I don't see how they can go with Suppan if he is going to throw like this.

Bob Costas is in the booth with Uecker. Between the two of them, we occasionally get bits of the game action.
That was a fun listen. It sounded like we missed some good cough button material when Ueck started talking about 'getting excited' and 'rolling one'......

Bob Costas is in the booth with Uecker. Between the two of them, we occasionally get bits of the game action.
That was a fun listen. It sounded like we missed some good cough button material when Ueck started talking about 'getting excited' and 'rolling one'......
Seriously, if you have a Gameday Audio subscription, check out the archive if you have the time. It'd be worth your while.

Stetter has been less than outstanding this spring.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

He didn’t’ have the ball down enough. He gave up four home runs and I thought maybe two of them were legit

Well I'm sure he thinks that it is true... even though I would say a HR is a HR regardless of the conditions. However just like he believes half of Suppan's HRs aren't legit, I think 75% of what Macha is quoted as saying is pure garbage. In fact, I think he's gotten progressively worse since his "zim-zam" quote last year, he's the first coach in this state since Rhodes that I felt was completely overmatched by his situation. Do me a favor and quit Ken, or better yet do yourself a favor DM and just fire him.

I promise I won't write anything negative about you for he entire season Doug if you just do me this one favor.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Just got back from the ballpark, today's game was surprisingly a sell out. I figure it must have been from alot of Spring Breakers in town because I heard alot of people say they were from "Wiscahhnsin". Anyhow, it was overall a good game, Sanchez started out hot but then fell apart in the 3rd inning by walking 3 batters. Suppan was well, Suppan, I dont know how he can make the starting 5 based on the way hes been pitching. Lorenzo Cain looked pretty decent today, seems to have a pretty solid approach at the plate.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

Yeah, I was just thinking about that as well. I wonder if he's no longer considered a "lock" for the pen.

As far as Macha's comments regarding Suppan, hopefully he is just trying not to throw one of his players "under the bus."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Just got back from today's game. Here are my comments:

1) The National Anthem girl did indeed butcher the song. In fact, she started the song over after getting through the first 4 lines. Many people near me were looking around at each other. The consensus was that she was lip-syncing and the CD track skipped on her.

2) Soup was getting hit hard throughout the game. It didn't look pretty.

3) Jonathan Sanchez flew through the first inning and then completely fell apart with his control in the 2nd & 3rd.

4) Thanks for the heads-up on the Costas thing. I've got gameday audio so I'll have to take a listen when I get home. What inning(s) was he in the booth?

5) Doug Melvin sat up in our left field line bleachers in the top row not more than 20 feet from me prior to the game to eat his lunch and do some light reading. I didn't bug the man because, well, it was his lunchtime. I chose to respect his privacy. But I did find it peculiar that way up on the top row of the aluminum bleachers was his choice of location.

6) Willie Mays, Gaylord Perry, Vida Blue, Lee Smith, and somebody else (can't remember who) were in the house signing autographs. Willie was promoting his book; the others just doing a signing. I didn't have money for that so I walked by, took a look, and moved on.

7) I was impressed with Scottsdale Stadium as a structure. I was NOT impressed by the crowd interactiveness. I realize that it's just Spring Training but I heard little clapping/cheering for the home team using the canned muzak ("charge!", etc.) nor did they really cheer all that much for any of the 4 Giants home runs. But I couldn't believe how downplayed the 7th inning stretch was. Sure, people stood up, but NOBODY was singing along. And it was over just as non-descript as it had begun. Wow. THE most boring game I've ever been to as per crowd interaction in the game.

8) The Garlic fries are awesome.

9) Totally separate from the game, I ran into an old buddy of mine who moved away to Texas about 7 years ago. He's a Giants fan and was at the game. But I didn't run into him at the game. Nope, we ran into him at Ray's Pizza in North Scottsdale a few hours after the game--about 10 miles from the ballpark. It's indeed a small world when I don't see him at the game but, of all the possible choices in Phoenix, he just happens to pick the same restaurant that we did. It was great to catch up!

That's it for my Spring Training for the year. Back to the 3-hour drive home tomorrow for a Spring Break week off from work. Of course, my cousin is visiting so it'll be 4 days of staying up late, playing video games, acting juvenile, drinking a bit, and just blowing off some steam. Good times.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Yeah, I was just thinking about that as well. I wonder if he's no longer considered a "lock" for the pen.

As far as Macha's comments regarding Suppan, hopefully he is just trying not to throw one of his players "under the bus."

How has Stetter been used though? We should expect him to get lit up if he was pitching to righties.

Why would Macha stop throwing players under the bus now? He did it all of last year. Is this a kinder gentler Macha? or does he only throw young players under the bus. I get the feeling Macha isn't a good manager for younger players.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived