Brewer Fanatic

Will there be a right-handed bat on the bench? (last 2 bench spots)

bork

It seems like Heether is not being mentioned much in spring training and he's off to a slow start, making me think that he'll start in AAA. If that's the case, do we end up with an all left-handed bench? Edmonds seems a front runner for one of the last spots and I could see Inglett getting the last infield spot, because he's got some major league experience.

Would an all lefty bench be a big deal? Outside of Braun and Fielder, everyone else will probably get regular days off, leaving at least one righty on the bench most times. Or does Doug have a trade up his sleeve?

It seems pretty obvious to me that Edmonds and Inglett have pretty much locked in those spots already. The only righty may be Matt Treanor, but he likely won't be pinch-hitting at all obviously. A lefty bench is no big deal at all, because of what you said exactly. People will be getting days off on a regular basis, so it's not an issue. And no Doug likely won't make a trade, I really don't see the point.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

First let me say I really hope Kottaras makes the team over Treanor.

I think an all lefty bench is a problem for this team since none of them hit lefties well (Gerut had a good year against them in 2008, but that was his only good year against them). I don't think it would be a problem if you had one or two lefty hitters who could hit lefty pitching, but we don't.

I really don't think it is a huge deal. We aren't pinch hitting for Fielder obviously and if any other lefty is in the lineup it means a righty is on the bench that day. It isn't ideal but it isn't a huge deal either. It is going to hurt us the most late in games when you want to say PH with Edmonds but as soon as we PH with him they bring in a loogy to face him so it might mean a Gomez batting a few extra times when a PH would have been better. By mid season I fully expect Hart to be sitting on the bench half the time though and he can be the PH.

Edmonds, Gerut, or Counsell are going to be in the lineup nearly every day, so that gives you the righty off the bench.

The roster appears set, unless the cut Gerut for Gritty Veteran Gamer Edmonds, and carry a 5th righty OF'er instead.

Edmonds, Gerut, or Counsell are going to be in the lineup nearly every day, so that gives you the righty off the bench.

The roster appears set, unless the cut Gerut for Gritty Veteran Gamer Edmonds, and carry a 5th righty OF'er instead.

Edmonds, Gerut and Counsell are going to be in the lineup nearly every day? Is that supposed to be in blue? Gomez, Hart and Weeks/Escobar gonna be on the bench a lot?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Brewers play 5-6 games a week, each of those guys will probably find their way in the lineup 1 time a week so that means 50% or so of the games probably see a righty on the bench, more once someone gets hurt.

Edmonds, Gerut and Counsell are going to be in the lineup nearly every day? Is that supposed to be in blue? Gomez, Hart and Weeks/Escobar gonna be on the bench a lot?
I think what pepsi meant is that one or more of {Edmonds, Gerut, Counsell} will be in the lineup nearly everyday. That wouldn't surprise me at all, as I could see Gerut and Hart splitting time pretty quickly if Hart struggles.

Yes, that's what I meant. Granted injuries played a big role last year, but it seemed either Counsell or McGehee, two bench players, were in the lineup nearly every day. (once again, not both but one or the other.)

Seems like catcher is the only position player spot that isn't pretty much set. I see people say they want one guy or the other. Other than handedness, why are folks pulling either way?
Formerly AKA Pete

So disappointed that Inglett appears to have the lead on Heether. I think Heether can play every position that Inglett can, and has more upside that Inglett. I imagine they are thinking Heether won't get to play much and won't do well part-time, whereas Inglett is used to this type of activity. Still hoped Heether would make it.

Frankly, I would've liked to see Heether get a shot as well, but it looks like that wasn't even under consideration at this point.

Heether has gotten as much playing time and at bats as anyone else. So, it seems like he's getting a fair chance. The four games that i've seen him in so far down here have been mixed results. Bat looks okay (sometimes) and completely lost other times. Glove has been okay (sometimes), and other times looks very bad. But, the bottom line is, he's getting his shot to impress, but the rest is up to him.

Heether's worth rooting for an I think will still get some time in the bigs this year. But this is also his 1st ML spring training, and he'll have 2 options left after this year, so he's not necessarily heading elsewhere anytime soon. Counsell won't be here forever. And Inglett's still more of a middle IF than corner IF, which means that if he's around for a while, Heether could prove a worthy complement.

Inglett, however, does have a decent MLB track record under his belt, so having him on the team isn't necessarily a bad thing. If a starting IF goes down, I still think it's more likely a current (Counsell or Inglett) bench player starts and Heether comes up . . . unless it's Gamel coming up to play everyday 3B.

At this point I think it's better to keep Inglett up and send Heether down to get more work so we can keep both of them. Keeping Heether and sending Inglett would result in Inglett being claimed I assume, and I'd rather keep the depth as they are pretty much equal at this point. I'd rather have Heether for the long haul obviously, but I want them both for this season.

Archived