Brewer Fanatic

Nashville Ballpark and Affiliation -- Here we Go Again

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Honestly, there must have been at least a dozen articles during the offseason that we could have linked to but didn't concerning the Sounds and their ballpark. We chose not to. It was like "wake us up when you break ground".

Of course, there's still no plan, no proposals in place, but there is relatively new Sounds ownership, a new mayor, but it's still a lot of 'blah-blah-blah".

This latest article again includes quotes from Gord Ash, but don't expect regular updates from us. We fell for this nonsense once, and won't again. The discussion will certainly heat up around next August when all the affiliate speculation talk re-heats as the Brewers affiliations all expire after 2010, except for Wisconsin (2012, and you may as well put 2092 on that one). Love this updated page for reference.

Big brother is watching

The Sounds' ballpark situation is being watched closely by the team's major-league affiliate, the Milwaukee Brewers. Since beginning its relationship with the Sounds in 2005, the Brewers have provided Nashville with highly regarded prospects such as Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder and Yovani Gallardo.

But, the Brewers' affiliation agreement with Nashville expires at the end of the season and the team wants to see progress toward a new ballpark.

"I think, because you're still six or seven months away, you need to see what unfolds and make a decision based on the facts you have at that time," Brewers Assistant General Manager Gord Ash said. "Nashville is a first-class town. It supports the team well. Our players enjoy living there for the summer. In geographical terms, it's perfect for us.

"The only drawback is the condition of the ballpark."

The Sounds and then-Mayor Bill Purcell reached a council-approved financing plan for a new ballpark, but the deal fell apart, with both sides blaming each other. The plan was for a mixed-use development, which would have included residential and retail components around the ballpark.

Downtown ballparks in cities similar to Nashville have seen success in recent years. Last year, Columbus, Ohio, opened Cooper Stadium downtown and averaged 9,526 fans per game, up from 7,700 in 2008. Nashville averaged 4,492 fans at Greer in 2009.

Just for fun, a list of the AAA PDC's expiring in 2010 per http://minorleaguesource.com/pdc.html

International League (AAA)

Buffalo Bisons - New York (NL) (signed through 2010)

Charlotte Knights - Chicago (AL) (signed through 2010)

Durham Bulls - Tampa Bay (signed through 2010)

Norfolk Tides - Baltimore (signed through 2010)

Pawtucket Red Sox - Boston (signed through 2010)

Rochester Red Wings - Minnesota (signed through 2010)

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees - New York (AL) (signed through 2010)

Syracuse Chiefs - Washington (signed through 2010)

Pacific Coast League (AAA)

Albuquerque Isotopes - Los Angeles (signed through 2010)

Colorado Springs Sky Sox - Colorado (signed through 2010)

Fresno Grizzlies - San Francisco (signed through 2010)

Las Vegas 51s - Toronto (signed through 2010)

Nashville Sounds - Milwaukee (signed through 2010)

New Orleans Zephyrs - Florida (signed through 2010)

Oklahoma RedHawks - Texas (signed through 2010)

Omaha Royals - Kansas City (signed through 2010)

Portland Beavers - San Diego (signed through 2010)

Reno Aces - Arizona (signed through 2010)

Round Rock Express - Houston (signed through 2010)

Sacramento River Cats - Oakland (signed through 2010)

Tacoma Rainiers - Seattle (signed through 2010)

In reality, many of those agreements will be rubber stamped, as they have history/tradition on their side.

NO may be one of the few in the Central time zone that may be available. That said, the Brewers might just figure they are already at the bottom, and can't do any worse.

I would be pulling for Durham, just for the history of the team, but would love to see them in Albuquerque or maybe Colorado Springs. Albuquerque because of the Simpsons and Colorado Springs because I love those elevation inflated numbers. Imagine what Doug could get for a non-prospect having a great year in the mountains.

I'm into my 5th year as a full season ticket holder and I'm not holding my breath. I really feel the ship sailed 6 to 8 years ago on getting a new downtown stadium. There is NO parking downtown Nashville and even less with now with a new Convention Center being built. The new ownership did nothing last year to introduce them self to the fan base and from what I see this year has done far less this year.

Archived