Brewer Fanatic

Anyone Else Pulling for Narveson?

ryanbraun75
If Villanueva does get optioned out, he too could go back to starting.

I kind of hope not. We've been down that route before, and I don't have interest in revisiting it, personally.

Villanueva as starter in the majors: 27 starts, 149 2/3 innings, 163 hits, 82 runs, 80 ER, 54 BB, 99 K, 6-12 record, 4.81 ERA, 1.45 WHIP

Parra as starter in the majors: 58 starts, 308 innings, 360 hits, 200 runs, 179 ER. 157 BB. 263 K, 21-19 record, 5.23 ERA, 1.679 WHIP

In roughly twice the number of starts and innings, Parra's put up worse career numbers as a starter than Villanueva. Villanueva is a year younger.

Villanueva is also a flyball pitcher with mediocre stuff so there isn't really any upside there compared to Parra. CV's upside as a starter is probably Dave Bush, that is about the best you can hope for from his skillset. I do agree with you though that if they do decide to send him down stretching him out as a starter would make some sense for depth purposes since we have about a 2 year gap in prospect pitching here.

I've said it here before, but Narveson really reminds me of Wandy Rodriguez with his low-90s FB and big CB. Wandy never had good minor league numbers (IIRC) - similar to Narveson - and now he's a solid #2 or 3. Maybe there is some truth to the idea that lefties just take a little longer to develop; I'd sure hate to lose Narveson, and while I'm OK if he's not in the rotation on opening day, he better be in the pen.

Archived