Brewer Fanatic

Anyone Else Pulling for Narveson?

ryanbraun75

If it were up to me, the job would be Narveson's to lose. He was fantastic last September, and he really made a strong impression when he struck out 10 Cubs in five innings during one of his starts last year. My main concern would be his durability. He has had a lot of injuries in the past. But I am absolutely pulling for him to at least start the season in the rotation.

I don't think there is much difference between Bush, Parra, Narveson or even Suppan to be honest so it doesn't matter much to me. I'm just glad we are going into the season with some depth and I sure hope they don't make the mistake of losing any of these guys. The 2 that don't make the rotation need to find room in the bullpen somehow. Too bad none of them have options left.

so it doesn't matter much to me.

It does to me. Parra still has four years of control and is a hard throwing lefty with the highest ceiling. Narveson will have five years of control and is another lefty with good stuff. Suppan is gone after this year and Bush likely is too.

At some point during the season a couple guys will get hurt and all of these guys will pitch a number of games. I don't think it is going to make that big of a difference which ones pitch a few extra. Suppan isn't as bad as people think and I don't trust Narveson as much as some people do, Parra and Bush both have their own warts as well. The more important thing to me is to make sure we keep the depth. If we DFA Narveson or something I'll be really upset, starting him in the bullpen won't bother me.

I've been pulling for Narveson since he first signed with the Crew. A fellow teacher asked me about him 1/2 a year before he came to Milwaukee. The teacher had gone to school in Dodgeville with Narveson's dad and had "loosely" followed his career.

The two of us are now leading the fan club for him...Narveson's picture is the current background on my SmartBoard in my classroom and I caught the other teacher after school today to inform him of Chris' 3-shutout innings.

There is a nice article by McCalvy on MLB.comabout Narveson and his chances. If the Brewers don't use him as a starter, it would be nice to have him in the bullpen as a mid to late inning reliever until someone gets injured or Suppan starts to pitch poorly again. Although I don't see Chris beginning the season as a starter, it's nice to see him pitch well in ST and put pressure on the other 3 guys who have a more realistic chance.

To quote Macha about Narveson, "We've got not only combinations and permutations, we've got conundrums, too."

With zero options left, I don't think there's anyway he makes it through waivers unclaimed, and I'll be very upset if we lose him for nothing while Suppan is on the team solely because of his contract. Narveson is exactly the kind of pitcher the Brewers should be coveting. Young, huge upside, and under our control for years. Remember, he was a top prospect for the Cardinals who only fell out of favor because of injuries. I'd much rather take a chance on Narveson and eat Suppan's contract if it comes to that. If he pitches at all like he did last September he would be more than serviceable as a #5 starter.

As long as the Brewers don't do something stupid like bring Schoenweiss to Milwaukee, there should be room for Bush, Suppan, Narveson and Parra. Option down Villaneuva and reevaluate when Riske gets fully healthy. Even then Stetter has options remaining and Narveson can be a Loogy for a bit if needs be.

Community Moderator
Narveson has to be a lock to make the team at this point. Personally, I think he would do well as a middle reliever. We need someone to pitch the 5th-7th innings when Suppan starts.

this might sound crazy, but how about a split 5th spot. suppan is generally ok during the first run of the batting order so how about on the 5th day suppan pitches the first 2 or 3 innings and narveson goes as long as he can. kind of a middle relief/start until narveson proves himself a little more in the bigs. it may be a bad idea but it just popped in my head.

To quote Macha about Narveson, "We've got not only combinations and permutations, we've got conundrums, too."
At least he didn't say "zim zam." Putting Ken in a zim zam seems to give a player about as much hope as the nameless redshirt ensign in a Star Trek episode.

During an in-game chat the other day, 1992casey and I coined Zim Zam Macha as a nickname. Conundrum Macha wouldn't work at all.

obsessedwithbrewcrew wrote:

Personally, I think he would do well as a middle reliever. We need someone to pitch the 5th-7th innings when Suppan starts.

You, sir, are more optimistic on this issue than I am...thinking Suppan will make it through 4.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Found this interesting Tid Bit in

Adams MLB.com article.

"Chris went for an official visit to Wake Forest University, the Bush family served as his hosts. Dave Bush was a catcher for Wake Forest before being converted to closer. "

My uncle was actually Daves coach and turned him from a catcher to a pitcher, because when Dave came in as a freshman, my uncle told him no way he plays unless he changes position because they had a great catcher already. So technically Dave wouldnt be in the Majors if it wasnt for my Uncle. Lol.

Who on the pitching staff still has options? they may be wise to keep all of their depth, but stash someone in the minors until the injuries start coming. I don't want them to lose Narveson, but I don't want them to lose anyone else either. Quite the conumdrum indeed.

i'm not ready to cut Bush loose yet. he's shown a lot of promise in the past. and he's pitched a lot more, so we have a much better idea of his skills than Narveson's.

The worst thing they could do is let go of any of the starters. There is absolutely no depth in AAA unless Capuano stays healthy, these are their 7 guys for the entire season. They need to find a way to keep all of them even if it means doing something strange with the bullpen.

Villaneuva and Stetter have options. Bush has options but he needs to agree to go down and likely won't do so so he won't lose service time.

But this is why I don't get the huge amount of hand wringing. Villaneuva has options, is buried on the bullpen depth chart so it looks like he's the 6th inning bridge guy along with Vargas so he isn't expected to pitch high leverage innings, and isn't getting paid so much that the Brewers would be leery of sending him down. I don't see the downside of him starting the year in AAA in order to ensure starting pitcher depth.

I'm pulling for Marveson big time. He's versatile, and is young enough to improve. He be my long man right now, and given the odd start with the thought that he may one day be a permanent member of the rotation. As other have said, if the Brewers lose him they are stupid.

Ennder[/b]]The worst thing they could do is let go of any of the starters. There is absolutely no depth in AAA unless Capuano stays healthy, these are their 7 guys for the entire season. They need to find a way to keep all of them even if it means doing something strange with the bullpen.
I completely agree. Most likely all of them will end up starting a few games throughout the season. Too much starting pitching is never a problem. I'd like to see Parra and Narveson round out the rotation. Narveson probably deserves it after his strong finish last season and a clean start thus far to the pre-season. I can't say Parra deserves to, but if the Brewers are going to make some big noise this year they need him to reach his potential (although I'm not so sure what that is anymore). I'm not concerned about all the lefties either. Righty or lefty you stick your best guys out there.

Ennder[/b]]The worst thing they could do is let go of any of the starters. There is absolutely no depth in AAA unless Capuano stays healthy, these are their 7 guys for the entire season. They need to find a way to keep all of them even if it means doing something strange with the bullpen.
I completely agree. Most likely all of them will end up starting a few games throughout the season. Too much starting pitching is never a problem. I'd like to see Parra and Narveson round out the rotation. Narveson probably deserves it after his strong finish last season and a clean start thus far to the pre-season. I can't say Parra deserves to, but if the Brewers are going to make some big noise this year they need him to reach his potential (although I'm not so sure what that is anymore). I'm not concerned about all the lefties either. Righty or lefty you stick your best guys out there.

Who says a replacement would come from AAA? The fact is most teams don't have sure fire replacements at AAA either at least not to start the season. AAA starting staffs aren't loaded with prospects. The prospects are usually at AA at least early on and two of the top ones for the Brewers (Rogers and Rivas) who will be starting at AA are already on the 40 man. The Brewers are likely to have one guy in the bullpen that could start in an emergency or take over for an injured starter. They also not only have Capuano, but John Halama as well on minor league deals, and both of those guys have had success in the major leagues. If Villanueva does get optioned out, he too could go back to starting.

Archived