Brewer Fanatic

Iribarren claimed by Texas, reliever Omar Aguilar traded for Chuck Lofgren (Lofgren to minor league camp)

battlekow
I wish Iribarren all the best with Texas, hopefully he can find a 25 man spot with some organization, he's good enough to be an MLB player for someone.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lofgren isn't one of the 12 best pitchers, he's a second LOOGY at this

point.

He couldn't fill the role of the 12th man right now? The guy who pitches in the 5th inning when the crew is down by 6 or in the 9th when they are up by 4? There was an article in the JS today that mentioned he has pitched 3 scoreless innings so far this spring. I don't follow spring training at all so I don't know if that's accurate or if his scoreless innings have been full of drama and its pure luck that he hasn't given up a run yet, but I just can't see how he wouldn't be able to fill the role as the long man.

I wish Iribarren all the best with Texas, hopefully he can find a 25 man spot with some organization, he's good enough to be an MLB player for someone.
I agree. There just wasn't really any room for him in Milwaukee.
No, not after they crowded him out. It's sort of self fulfilling. Just like what will happen with Heether and Oeltjen.

Heether's just been added to the 40-man for the first time this winter. That means the Brewers have all 3 options remaining on him. At this point, assuming Heether's in Nashville, it's like they have another potential McGehee ready to be called up should someone get hurt and should it not be Gamel, who, after last year, probably won't be brought up if steady regular playing time isn't part of the scenario.

Oeltjen? Don't rule him out so quickly, either. If someone in the OF gets hurt, TO's the like OF callup because Cain's more a part of the future core (or at least more likely to be -- my hunch), and like Gamel, they're gonna want him playing regularly. Since Oeltjen wasn't originally Brewers property, and since he's been up & down to the bigs before, the Brewers don't have as much as stake re: Oeltjen's development and may be more likely to bring him up for a very part-time bench role (i.e., 5th OF and more regular PH-er).

I kind of figured that was the situation. I tried to explain to my wife and sister-in-law why Lofgren was pitching today. It was the only way that I could come up, with my "vast" (read: not as good as others on this site) knowledge about the Rule V draft and its rules.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Per Haudricourt, the Brewers traded Omar Aguilar to Cleveland so that they could keep Lofgren, who will be sent to Nashville.

McCalvy with a blog post.

Nice move. Not sure either guy will have a significant major league career, but I'll certainly take a 24 year old lefty AAA starter over a 25 year old reliever who's never been higher than AA.

Well I hate to give up on Aguilar, but he really took a step back last season. It's nice to get another starter in the organization. Where do we think he's going to start out. Huntsville? That makes an already good rotation (Rogers, Rivas, Anundson) even better.

Nice move. Each player gets a fresh start with a new organization. Lofgren is a starter so to me he has more upside. It's much easier to make someone a reliever down the road than to convert them to a starter. Plus if Lofgren had been kept in the majors all year it would have likely derailed his career. Pitching on occasion and then having to build up your innings again next year in AAA would likely just lead an arm injury.

Does anybody know how many options Lofgren has left, or how they work with Rule 5 picks?
It doesn't look like he was ever on Cleveland's 40-man, and because the Brewers waived him, he'll pitch in the minors this year without using up an option, so he should have all three left.
Where do

we think he's going to start out. Huntsville? That makes an already

good rotation (Rogers, Rivas, Anundson) even better.

Sounds like Nashville is his likely destination.

Archived