Brewer Fanatic

Iribarren claimed by Texas, reliever Omar Aguilar traded for Chuck Lofgren (Lofgren to minor league camp)

battlekow

if i recall correctly, iribarren has never been outrighted to the minor leagues, so assuming no other team claims him, is he not required to accept the assignment to the minor leagues?

had he been outrighted once before, would he not have the right to elect free agency?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott, because Hernan's never been outrighted, I believe the Brewers would be able to bypass waivers if they wanted to outright him. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif)

Here are his career transactions:

http://www.brewerfan.net/...sactions.do?playerId=295

EDIT: Strike that about waivers and outrighting.

Quoth Cot's:
Irrevocable Outright Waivers

A club that wishes to remove a player from its 40-man roster but keep him in its minor-league system must first place him on outright or special waivers. Outright waivers are not revocable, so a player claimed on outright waivers may not be pulled back by his original club. A club may not request outright waivers on a player with a complete no-trade clause or on a player ten-and-five rights.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Staff

It's about service time. When a team signs a player, they "own" them for seven years. So because Iribarren is well past that time frame, he has the right to move on.

If he had never been added to the 40-man, he would have had that right two years ago.

If Lofgren is still on waivers, Cleveland hasn't yet had the opportunity to take him back. There's still time to work out a trade to a team who'd be willing to keep him on its Major League roster. It's still possible that there'll be no trade, Cleveland doesn't take him back, and Lofgren agrees to go to Nashville.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Lofgren has really struggled in the high minors. Is there a reason we should wring our hands over him being handed back to Cleveland?

I wish they wouldn't dump Hurricane for Inglett. But maybe Inglett would be a better Craig Counsell in 2011. I still think Irribaren can be a good major league 2B.

Is there a reason we should wring our hands over him being handed back to Cleveland?
Two years ago he was as highly touted as Manny Parra. The biggest difference might be that one of them threw a perfect game.

If Cleveland was willing to part with him as a Rule V pick, I'd assume they would part with him for a minor prospect. (Which would mean we can place him in AAA)

I doubt he will ever be great. But a lefty who is still relatively young and can light-up the gun is better than a lot of our AAA options. Seems like a "change of scenary" player.

Lofgren is not Parra. Parra dominated the minor leagues, Lofgren had one good season in high A 4 years ago. The biggest difference is Parra has shown the ability to keep is k rate up as he progressed up the levels and limit his walks.

Nope Lofgren ain't Parra. He hasn't posted a 6.36 ERA with a 1.829 WHIP at the major league level yet.

I hope Parra can turn it around a become a servicable pitcher but I just don't understand everyone knocking Suppan around when he wasn't even close to being our worst pitcher last year.

Suppan at least had a career.

Nope Lofgren ain't Parra. He hasn't posted a 6.36 ERA with a 1.829 WHIP at the major league level yet.
Lofgren's numbers in the high minors have been mediocre at best. Parra was dominant in the minors. Parra's career FIP in the majors is 4.40; his xFIP 4.23. Lofgren's was 5.11 in AAA last year.

Oh, and FWIW, Suppan wasn't the worst pitcher on the Brewers last year; that honor goes to Braden Looper.

Oh, and FWIW, Suppan wasn't the worst pitcher on the Brewers last year; that honor goes to Braden Looper.

I'd say it went to Parra and Bush. When you only have one pitcher with an ERA under 5 it really doesn't matter who was better though.

So Parra has minor league success and puts up a 4.39 ERA(4.18 FIP) in a season where he wore down at the end then has one bad year and people want Suppan instead. Unless Parra shows a complete lack of control, he should easily be ahead of Suppan.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Yes, but if Suppan is still the better pitcher, salary is irrelevant.

I doubt Suppan is the better pitcher, but that's debatable. I think Parra has much better stuff and his biggest problem is mental, which is fixable. Suppan's biggest problem is his ability, which is not. Also consider this though. After this season, Suppan is gone whereas Parra is not. Parra is younger, more talented, cheaper, and under our control for a few more seasons. I think Rick Peterson will make a big difference with him this season. Parra was also mishandled last season. Melvin and Macha expected him to walk in and be our second best pitcher and he had a lot of pressure on him. If he fails again this year, my opinion on him will change, but he deserves another shot. Suppan is getting progressively worse and his salary should have no bearing whatsoever on whether he is in the rotation. If he is one of the top 5, fine, but don't give him a spot because he makes $12.5 million.

My opinion on Lofgren is the same. If we was one of the best 12 pitchers, then let him stay. Instead Melvin over-signed for the bullpen and Lofgren never even had a chance to make the roster.

I think Parra has much better stuff and his biggest problem is mental, which is fixable.

Really. Derrick Turnbow would like a call. That's a pretty debatable statement. You either have it or you don't. Raw skills only take you so far. While I'm sure you can teach techniques and such to help players keep mentally sharp it's one of those things you kind of have to develop on your own.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Those of us on "staff" here don't think it's the end-all-and-be-all to break stories, that's not why we really do what we do. What we really enjoy is following the organization, top to bottom, collecting news from all sorts of organizations and sources for you the reader, and sparking lively debate and fun among all of you.

That being said, it's nice to see a bit of acknowlegement from the traditional MLB sources, as Adam gave here. Thanks, Mr. McCalvy.

One note, though -- aren't there other threads to debate Parra and Suppan's value? Like this one?

Brewer Fanatic Staff

We'd be remiss in not posting Hernan's 2004 lines one last time --

In Maryvale:

.439 / .490 / .630 in 189 AB's

In Beloit:

.373 / .411 / .657 in 67 AB's

14 triples in 256 AB's!

All of which garnered him the moniker "Hurricane". Does anyone remember who first came up with that? I'll have to check the archives. It never stuck outside our forums, alas.

There was the corked bat incident, right in front of Reid Nichols, in 2006....

Nearly an .800 OPS as Huntsville's everyday second baseman in 2007...

Relive these and other moments in his Power 50 Comments archived history.

Good luck in Texas, young man.

Archived