Brewer Fanatic

Iribarren claimed by Texas, reliever Omar Aguilar traded for Chuck Lofgren (Lofgren to minor league camp)

battlekow

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we all saw these moves coming, but why so early? An injury or two in the next two weeks could make this look bad, especially for Iribarren. Then again, he might actually slip through waivers.

Would the Brewers owe them money if they waited to cut them?

If a player's contract is guaranteed, he's paid for the full season no matter when he's cut.

If a player with a non-guaranteed contract is cut in the first half of spring training, he receives 1/6 of his salary. If a player with a non-guaranteed contract is cut before Opening Day, he receives 1/4 of his salary. The contracts of all players on the roster on Opening Day become guaranteed.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I would guess Irrabaren would be due the minimum and if he gets picked up by another club they would be paying him this year. The only real surprise here as others mentioned is the timing. Seems pretty early. I guess they are trying to get more at bats for people they think will actually make the club.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Iribarren has been given plenty of shots, he's just not been that good. The Brewers are doing him a favor by letting him go this early while rosters are still in flux and there's enough time left for another team to give him a good number of innings.

Iribarren was never given a shot.
Even if he wasn't given a shot, there just isn't room for Iribarren on the club in the near future. As a middle infielder, he was behind Escobar, McGehee, Gamel, Weeks, Counsell, and likely Inglett as well. This is probably best for Iribarren and the organization.

As for Lofgren...I won't lose any sleep over his departure.

I'm just hoping Schochoenweissss doesn't make the team. Hopefully his strong spring performance doesn't take precedence over his years of dismal MLB performance.

Iribarren was never given a shot.
Even if he wasn't given a shot, there just isn't room for Iribarren on the club in the near future. As a middle infielder, he was behind Escobar, McGehee, Gamel, Weeks, Counsell, and likely Inglett as well. This is probably best for Iribarren and the organization.

As for Lofgren...I won't lose any sleep over his departure.

I'm just hoping Schochoenweissss doesn't make the team. Hopefully his strong spring performance doesn't take precedence over his years of dismal MLB performance.

Gamel has options and is ticketed for Nashville, so that he's ahead of Iribarren on the list is irrelevant.. Inglett has more major league experience and some major league success but not more talent based on comparable minor league numbers he had at Iribarren's age.

It's not a huge deal but I still foresee Iribarren having every bit the career of Inglett.

And another of my Brewers rummage sale jersey purchases loses relevance. Dang it!

(except that the Iribarren jersey actually fits me reasonably well; and it's from 2008, which will always make it a little more special)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Yeah I was kind of disappointed that even with Weeks' injury last season Irabarren wasn't given a chance. He had some really good seasons in the minors.

The Lofgren thing I don't really get. They used a Rule 5 pick on him but he wasn't given a chance either. Yeah it would be hard to hide him in the pen, but not that hard. We had Elmer Dessens on the roster a few years ago for Pete's sake. Lofgren could easily have been the long man or a second situational lefty. Jeff Suppan is going to suck up a roster spot and get shelled just like he has the past 3 seasons, all as he is raking in $12.5 million, and Lofgren, who at least could have an upside, is offered back to Cleveland. Why not just put Suppan on waivers and either have him pitch in Nashville until we need him or let him walk? Just because we made the mistake of vastly over paying him doesn't mean we need to keep making the mistake of letting him ruin our team. I haven't seen Lofgren pitch one inning, but I think I would rather see him make a spot start than Suppan.

Jeff Suppan is going to suck up a roster spot and get shelled just like he has the past 3 seasons

Simply not true.

3 year splits for our starters not including Narveson

Suppan - 4.93 ERA

Bush - 5.06 ERA

Parra - 5.17 ERA

Suppan had a pretty good 2007, he was decent until about the last month of 2008 and then he was mediocre to bad most of 2009. In total his first 60 starts or so were pretty good for us(including 20 starts of 7+ innings and around a 4.60 ERA), his last 35 have been pretty bad(including just 4 starts of 7+ innings and an ERA north of 5.). I don't like writing players off after just one season worth of starts. I'll be fine if he doesn't win a job in the rotation to start the year and he obviously was overpaid but the constant over the top comments about how bad he has been as a Brewer can be a bit much at times.

Gamel has options and is ticketed for Nashville, so that he's ahead of Iribarren on the list is irrelevant.. Inglett has more major league experience and some major league success but not more talent based on comparable minor league numbers he had at Iribarren's age.
Why is that irrelevant? Gamel pushes him further down on the depth chart at 3rd base. Having Gamel, even if he is in the minor leagues, decreases the club's need for a player like Iribarren.

I'm still trying to figure out what Irribarren brings to the team. Zaun and his backup, Prince, Weeks, Escobar, McGehee, Counsell, Braun, Gomez, Hart, and Gerut are basically guaranteed to make the team. Probably Edmonds too. That basically leaves one utility slot and Irribarren has less versatility than Inglett, who can play the left side of the infield, and less hitting ability than Gamel. Except possibly for some pinch running situations, the Brewers really have no use for Irribarren over any of their other candidates.

Robert

I REALLY wanted Lofgren to end up on our AAA roster as depth.

Bush, Suppan, Narveson and Parra are all out of options. Two make the rotation - one in the pen. We likely lose the other.

I really don't like any of our AAA pitchers to fill in if needed. (Unless Cappy can continue to come back)

I tried to follow up on this, and it doesn't seem like anyone's heard confirmation; who knows, maybe this will happen tomorrow. Either way, I'm going to unfeature and lock the thread for now, and if nothing happens, please accept my apologies for the erroneous information.

EDIT: I've had it confirmed to my satisfaction that both Iribarren and Lofgren were indeed placed on waivers yesterday. We should hear something from the Brewers once they clear or are claimed, so sometime after today.

I'll be fine if he doesn't win a job in the rotation to start the

year and he obviously was overpaid but the constant over the top

comments about how bad he has been as a Brewer can be a bit much at

times.

You're right my post was a little exaggerated due to frustration. I get upset when they give up on a young lefty pitcher with some upside, no matter how little upside it is, because they choose to keep Suppan for salary reasons. Suppan was one of the worst starting pitchers in baseball last season. He's in Milwaukee one more season. He's going to get his money no matter what. We can't do anything about that. But if we released him and used Lofgren as the long guy, at least until he proves to be such a handicap that he needs to be replaced, we could have one more young pitcher with some upside in the organization. He'd be making the league minimum so it's not like you're going to paying a huge amount of money for him. Give him a shot. Why not?

Mass,

Isn't it likely the Brewers intend to assign Iribarren to Nashville if he clears waivers and still keep him in camp as a non-roster guy a little longer? They may be thinking that they have a better chance at getting him through now rather than later. Cory Provus made the point during yesterday's broadcast that Don Money (very astute baseball man in my opinion) is a huge fan of Iribarren.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Iribarren has been in the Brewers system since 2002. He's entering his 10th year. He indicated in interviews we read this winter that his "out of options" status will lead to chances elsewhere if not with the Brewers. I'd have to believe he and his agent will set their sights elsewhere and choose free agency if he clears waivers.

Archived