Brewer Fanatic

So what roster move will be made today??

Chris Spurling is back and DM had said they will meet this morning to discuss their options. The logical move is to send Balfour or Parra back down but DM said they make want to keep 13 pitchers for now with this stretch of games they are on, plus a DH coming up.

So it could very well be a position player. The smart money is on Gabe Gross.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If it's a position player, it might be Gwynn with Hall set to return soon.

Can they send Balfour down? I thought he was out of options.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I figured TGJ would be sent down once Hall comes back. But with Graffy playing the outfield, perhaps they will send him back down.

Balfour is probably sweating bullets, he hasn't performed to well so far. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

1. If they go with 13 pitchers, it would have to be Gross or Gwynn.

2. If they do not, it would have to be Parra or Balfour.

Manny looked outstanding, while Grant has struggled. Carlos has little velocity on his fastball, and may be suffering from dead arm. There's a DH next Saturday, and if you plan on starting Parra, he actually cannot go down, as barring injury, he's in AAA for 10 days.

I'd guess it's an OF.

Can they send Balfour down? I thought he was out of options.

The rules may be different, as Spurling was on the bereavement list. The question is whether or not someone who is called up because someone is placed on the bereavement list counts as an option when they are sent back down. I think technically Balfour was called up to replace Sheets, but if he was in fact called up to replace Spurling and a callup because of going on the bereavement list does not count as an option, then they can send Balfour down.

BTW, Balfour got CV out of the 7th, and Turnbow allowed Balfours two runners to score yesterday, so he hasn't been as bad as people perceive.

So theobvious next question is, who goes down when Hall comes back this week? I'd think it's gotta be Gwynn, at least until after the 8 in 7 roadie ends, at which point they probably send Parra back down to get regluar work. I can't imagine they'll take any chances at leaving themselves short in then pen, given the schedle they're facing.

Of course, with the deadline looming, things could change without notice.

I think we should be looking at Balfour as the one to go down not gywnn. the fact that gross going down to me really points at a pitcher, more then likely Balfour or Spurling to be the next.

Balfour has really really struggled for the little time he's been up and Spurling scares me every time he gets out there. Gywnn provides a good base runner and a nice bat off the bench. To me the obvious fingers are pointing at Balfour and Spurling. Take it for what its worth, but 1 of these pitchers needs to go down.

Spurling = very bad - How many more outings like yesterday must we watch before Melvin DFA's him. I can't imagine anyone would claim him on waivers honestly. Balfour does not look as good as he was advertised. I know someone on this site was saying that he was hitting 96 consistently and I think he was only getting up to 93 when I watched the other night.

There's a thread on Chris Spurling in the designated threads list. If someone wants to discuss Chris' performance yesterday, lets use that.

Since the usefulness of this thread seems to be superseded by the Gross to Triple A, Spurling Activated, I'm going to lock'er down.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived