Brewer Fanatic

What (non-superstar) players are your favorites?

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark Loretta has always been one of my favorite players. Weeks. Branyan. Sheets.

Brian Roberts. Werth.

Nick Markakis. He just showed up and played like a perfect No. 3 hittin' RF veteran right away.

I always like Zaun too. Hopefully I still will this year.

i've always been a fan of paul konerko and mark derosa. i also think todd helton is underrated(should be a hall of famer). i think justin morneau, even with his mvp and all star games, is underappreciated. he kinda gets looked over since mauer is on the same team. he most likely is considered a superstar, but doesnt get his props most of the time. matt garza is a fav of mine as well.

I'll go with what I know is a very popular choice on this board:

David Eckstein. I don't care what anyone says. I love the way he plays the game.

I also always liked Scott Rolen..but I'm guessing he might fall in the superstar category.

Craig Counsell

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I love the way he plays the game.

Is it just that he hustles? Or is part of it making the most of physical talent? I've never understood what people find appealing about the way he plays.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I love the way he plays the game.

Is it just that he hustles? Or is part of it making the most of physical talent? I've never understood what people find appealing about the way he plays.

I think it's that he's not very good and you can picture yourself being him if you just would have tried harder. Sort of like Craig Counsell.

I mean guys like Braun or Prince are just so obviously talented it's hard to identify with them. Sure they had to work hard to get where they are, but the God given talent is hard for a schmuck like me to comprehend. With Eckstein or Counsell, or some guy like that, you can at least delude yourself that if you'd worked harder in Little League and played Legion Ball and didn't go drinking so much in college, well, maybe, with a little luck you could have made it to the majors too.

my definition of a non-superstar: someone, if he were a FA, who would still not be pursued by the Yankees. it's not meant solely as Yankee bashing. i think it makes sense.

old: Greg Brock (he hit a HR almost right at me when i was a kid) and Glen Bragg (saw him break a bat around his back on a missed swing. coolest thing ever. I also rooted for Jeffrey Hammonds since everyone else hated him and he routinely won the team Humanitarian award. and Nick Neguebauer(sp). Dave Nilsson and Charlie O'Brien.

now: Zumaya and Fernando Rodney. obviously Branyan. Jamie Moyer and Tim Wakefield. of course Brad Nelson (if minor-leaguers count). Kerry Wood and Mark Prior (I have a soft spot for would-have-been HOFers)

joepepsi[/b]]
TooLiveBrew[/b]]I love the way he plays the game.

I think it's that he's not very good and you can picture yourself being him if you just would have tried harder. Sort of like Craig Counsell.

I mean guys like Braun or Prince are just so obviously talented it's hard to identify with them. Sure they had to work hard to get where they are, but the God given talent is hard for a schmuck like me to comprehend. With Eckstein or Counsell, or some guy like that, you can at least delude yourself that if you'd worked harder in Little League and played Legion Ball and didn't go drinking so much in college, well, maybe, with a little luck you could have made it to the majors too.

I guess it's part of what Joe Pepsi stated. I'm 5'8"..so I have always rooted for the smaller guys. Part of it is also that everyone seems to hate him. With guys like Carlos Lee and Manny Ramirez who show very little hustle at all...how can you hate a guy because he "hustles too much". Really? Not trying to start a tangent here...already had a discussion about this Eckstein a year or two ago and I know I'm not going to convince anyone to like Eckstein. I will just never understand all the hate.

If I want to show my son an example of the right way to play baseball I'm going to point to guys like Eckstein, Counsell, Weeks, or Fielder (I have always like the way Weeks and Fielder run out every ground ball as hard as they can) over a guys like Ramirez or Lee.

Tommy Hanson

Jason Heyward

Yeah, these are two of my favorites also...but I might be biased, since they are on my fantasy team.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I think of David Eckstein along the same lines as Jim Leonhard (Badgers, Jets). I have a huge amount of respect for both guys. They both succeeded because they busted their butts despite not being blessed with size, strength, etc.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Rickie Weeks is my favorite player(or Hart, right now he is 1B since he hasn't been playing well). I don't really get to attached to any players for the most part. I cheer for the Brewers. Doesn't really make much sense to me to get to attached to any players.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived