Brewer Fanatic

What (non-superstar) players are your favorites?

TooLiveBrew

IIRoss's thread got me thinking about this. I realize the non-superstar designation can be pretty subjective, but it should be pretty easy to discern in most cases.

My first three: Matt Kemp, Dan Uggla & Troy Tulowitzki
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan Haren is my favorite pitcher aside from Sheets, but he's probably a star.

Kevin Slowey, Brett Anderson, Ricky Nolasco, Adam Wainwright, Scott Baker, Ross Ohlendorf.

Aside from Weeks, for hitters we have Franklin Gutierrez, Mike Cameron, Nick Swisher, Russell Branyan, Nick Johnson, Andrew McCutchen.

Ben Zorbrist.

My definition of Superstar: If someone who calls themselves a baseball fan would know the guy if they saw a picture of him. I don't even think I could pick Zorbrist out of a lineup.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'd consider Kemp, Uggla, Tulo, Werth, Crawford, and Figgins superstars.

Ellsbury, Wainwright, Sandoval, and Cameron are boarderline.

McCutchen, Zobrist, and Nolasco aren't only because of their limited time in the league.

I'd agree that Choo, Jones, Branyan, Slowey, DeJesus, Milledge, Anderson, Baker, Ohlendorf, Guitierrez, Swisher, Branyan, Johnson, and Napoli are good picks for this category.

Just IMO though, so I'm probably wrong.

Ben Zorbrist.

My definition of Superstar: If someone who calls themselves a baseball fan would know the guy if they saw a picture of him. I don't even think I could pick Zorbrist out of a lineup.

I really don't intend this as mean-spirited, I just found it funny & kinda ironic -- like Pointer noted, it's spelled "Zobrist" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I agree with stoutdude on Napoli, even if he doesn't really have the arm you want from a catcher.

wrote:
I'd consider Kemp, Uggla, Tulo, Werth, Crawford, and Figgins superstars.

Interesting. I think Werth, Kemp, & Tulo are on the verge of superstardom, but not there yet, as I agree with Baldkin that the definition is pretty much 'can you identify this person' from a picture. I think most diehard baseball fans know everyone in this thread, but most baseball fans overall wouldn't.

I've never really considered Crawford or Figgins good enough to be superstars. Uggla just plays in such relative anonymity with the Marlins imo... maybe I've just overestimated that. I have to admit one reason I love him is the Marlins' TV guys' home run call for him -- "His name is DAN UGGLA!" That's probably my favorite HR call.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Carlos Villanueva, Mike Rivera, Russ Branyan, Placido Polanco (arguably a star but I enjoy his oddly shaped head), Jack Hannahan, Tsuyoshi Shinjo, Nelson Cruz, Mike Napoli (the last 2 are arguably stars but weren't projected to be when I started being a fan of them), Byung-Hyun Kim (arguably a star at one time, not now though).

I guess I don't like many no-names on other teams because with the Extra Innings pack, you tend to get to hear every team's idiot announcers rave about all of their team's various scrubs, which gets annoying and turns me off of the guys who are getting praised and aren't actually good. My list of players that I strongly dislike is much, much, much longer. I guess I should try to not let homer announcers and fans get to me.

Counsell, Weeks, and Damien Miller. I know it's mostly due to my homerism, but I just have always liked these guys. One's retired, one might be considered a superstar (in AZ), and one is on the verge of becoming a superstar (I hope).

Minor leagues, I really want to see LHP Keith Weiser succeed. Last I looked, he was in Colorado's farm system. He and 2 of his college teammates spent a day hanging out with the wife and I in our driveway a few years back (their senior year), and he was just a super young man. They all were. Go Weeze!

I'm into the middle infielders. I was a huge Delino DeShields fan since he was an Expo. The last few years of his career were pretty rough. Once he was out of the league, the Brewers drafted Rickie Weeks to be their 2B of the future. He's been my guy since draft day. Still waiting for him to bust through and put it all together.

Last year was the first year Werth ever broke 425 AB in his career and he is 30 years old. He's also never broken 100 RBI or R before and never had an OPS over .900. Pretty hard to call him a superstar. To this point in his career he isn't as good as Jenkins was, did he count as a super star?

Archived