Brewer Fanatic

Nomar Garciaparra to retire

Invader3K

Nomar Garciaparra will announce his retirement at a Red Sox press conference this morning, tweets ESPN's Gordon Edes. WEEI's Lou Merloni (via Twitter) says Garciaparra is signing a one-day minor league contract with Boston to retire as a member of the club.

Nomar, 36, finishes with a sparkling career line of .313/.361/.521
in 6,116 plate appearances. He spent the majority of his time at
shortstop, though also played the infield corners later in his career.
Garciaparra was a superstar with the Red Sox, winning Rookie of the
Year in '97 and getting MVP votes and All-Star appearances in six
different seasons.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

No more 15 minute, 4-pitch plate appearances.
Ryan Braun says hi, then steps back, tucks his bat under his arm, undoes and redoes the velcro on his left glove, then his right glove, then checks his shin-pad, then swings his bat around, then steps forward again to shake your hand. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Somewhere in NYC, Jimmy Fallon weeps a single tear.

"Nomahhhh" put him on the map back in the SNL days.

I always liked Garciaparra. Great hitter, decent defense, and wasn't afraid to move away from shortstop when his skills started to decline. In many ways, he'll always be the Anti-Jeter.

The velcro thing is obnoxious, I'm not sure if players do this for some sorta premaddona thing, or if they do it to mess up the pitchers rhythm. I'd assume it has to do with both to some degree.
I really don't think it's either.

I will bet many players who constantly adjust their batting gloves don't even realize they are doing it, or at least don't think about it beyond, "I need to quickly adjust my gloves." When I used to pitch, I always adjusted my hat between pitches. It took me a long time to finally notice I was doing it. Most likely just a comfort thing that turned into a habit.

EDIT: I should clarify that with some guys, Nomar is one, who really seem to have a routine, probably realize what they are doing. It's just a routine to get themselves comfortable, though, like how a basketball player does the same thing before each free throw.

Archived