Brewer Fanatic

Bill Hall -- Leather-Toting Hydra

Mass Haas

A little bit of a shot against Milwaukee's fans.

[bill Hall was] saying if the Brewers couldn’t settle him into one spot maybe they

should trade him, the understanding people of Milwaukee reacted by

nearly booing him off the field as he struggled at the one place that

never changes - the batter’s box.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Part of what made Bill Hall so fun to watch was that he was a baseball oddity - an everyday player without a position. I'm rooting for him. Hopefully, he can find his bat again and give Red Sox fans the enjoyment that he gave us. It's nice to see him speaking proudly of his super-sub role.

“I’m one of the founding fathers of my position,” Hall said recently.

“Me and Ryan Freel in Cincinnati originated this. Now teams are trying

to develop someone like us.”

I'm still a Bill Hall fan. He's a class guy who got a lot of big hits at big times for the Brewers. He made himself into a dangerous hitter, but has lost it the last couple years. It happens. I'll be very happy if he finds that sweet stroke again.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
A little bit of a shot against Milwaukee's fans.

[bill Hall was] saying if the Brewers couldn’t settle him into one spot maybe they

should trade him, the understanding people of Milwaukee reacted by

nearly booing him off the field as he struggled at the one place that

never changes - the batter’s box.

IMO, the Milwaukee fans deserved that shot. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

He wanted to be traded because he didn't have a set position, and now he realizes he is what the Brewers pegged him as? Catch up Bill!

I wish him the best in Boston, but the bottom line is he needs to start hitting again.

I don't think he meant it as traditional utility player who is basically a back up at a couple infield positons who only plays if someone needs a day off or is hurt. Guys like Freel, DeRosa or Hall for a period were different. They started nearly every game but had no set position they may play 3B vs. a lefty, 2B vs. a RH or play OF if a guy needed a day or shifted for PHing options etc. Many of those traditional utility guys were slap hitting mostly glove guys rather than guys with a decent bat that could play multiple positions who a manager tried to get in the lineup for hitting rather than defense or the other mentioned reasons. I am sure there guys over the 100+ years of baseball that were like that but seeing a manager work the lineup to get them in rather than the other way around makes me think of them differently than just a back up infielder utility guy.

Melvin Mora pre-dates them all. They're sort of the Jonh Havlicek of the baseball world.

Hall lost his job cause he couldn't hit anymore and managers kept playing him in situations where he was set up to fail, i.e. hitting against righties. He's athletic, plays solid enough defense, and used judiciously could be a good 25th man option. He could play another decade if he could get back to the middle infield and still pop a few homers.

I am sure there guys over the 100+ years of baseball that were like that but seeing a manager work the lineup to get them in rather than the other way around makes me think of them differently than just a back up infielder utility guy.

Sure but guys like Tony Phillips were doing the same back in the 80s when he played basically every position at least a little every year. Flash back to the 60s and guys like Cookie Rojas were doing it. This isn't something new.

My favorite Twin when I was a kid-Cesar Tovar! Averaged about 600 plate appearances per year for a decade-(66-75).

Career innings played by position:

CF-3500+ innings

LF-2400 innings

RF-1586

3B-1639

2B-1576

ss-494

And of course, there was the game in September 1968 where he played a different position every inning, including 1B, Pitcher, and Catcher.

Let's not forget Mark Loretta who always seemed to find 400-500 plate appearances a year without a set position to start the season.

Sure but guys like Tony Phillips were doing the same back in the 80s when he played basically every position at least a little every year. Flash back to the 60s and guys like Cookie Rojas were doing it. This isn't something new.

It isn't new but it was lost for a while. It might be more accurate to say he and Freel revived it vs created it. I wish him the best.

He was a classy guy who gave it his all without complaint. While I find it hard to cheer for a Red Sox championship knowing he's on the team would help me feel ok about it.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived