Brewer Fanatic

Hoffman To Twins Proposal?

It appears that the Twins need a closer now that Nathan will probably need Tommy Jon Surgery and will probably be out for the year. What about Hoffman? It appears that the Brewers bullpen is very deep even without Hoffman. Hawkins and Coffey could fill in and maybe even down the road Braddock. Hoffman is making 7.5+ million in 2010, and has a mutual option for 2011 worth 7 million. This would be the perfect time to trade Hoffman and save 7 million. Who would you want from the Twins?
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I could see dealing Coffey if they were willing to give up a starting pitching prospect, otherwise we really have no reason to help them out.
Even that wouldn't make sense. The Twins have some young starters but most are just guys. The Brewers would want to get something back that would help them this year. Unless they expanded it to say Coffey and Hart for Cuddyer I don't see it happening. It's not like the Twins are short of experience or arms in their pen so they aren't desperate enough to deal a key guy.

One other intriguing guy the Twins have is Jose Morales. Any place but Minnesota, a catcher who's hit .311, .315, and .336 at AAA the last 3 years and hit over .300 in a stint with Twins last year would be a big time prospect, despite not a lot of power. He's certainly ready to hit in the big leagues and has been for a while.

Morales is an interesting nugget, thanks for pointing him out. Aside from the (almost complete) lack of power, he's only thrown out 23% of basestealers in his minor league career -- I read that he's a converted second baseman. He had wrist surgery back in January, & left ankle sprains hampered him in '07 & '08, so it'll be interesting to see how he fares this season.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Twins are losing Nathan but getting back a very good reliever in Neshek this season. I don't think the Twins will make a move until they see how well their own guys pick up the slack. They have a few guys that have the potential to be good closers.

I thought Jose Mijares was their future closer. Won't they just go with him.
Maybe in the future. He's so sick against lefties though, that I think they use him as an 7th/8th inning guy depending on when the tough LH hitters run through the lineup. I expect them to go with the more experienced Crain, Guerrier, or even Neshek to start the season, but who knows? Mijares could certainly be the guy by the end of the year.

thinking outside the box, Liriano could be a guy that reinvents himself as a closer if he can't maintain the FB velo he used to pre-surgery in a starting role.

Two problems with a couple of the above points:

1. Morales is injured and out for a while. Drew Butera or an actual prospect have been talked about as the potential Mauer backup 'til Morales is healthy again.

2. Mijares has been inconsistent from a character standpoint as well as a pitching standpoint. I'd think the Twins would favor keeping Mijares in a less-crucial role than closer until they had to try him there.

Archived