Brewer Fanatic

fixing Suppan

DHonks
Interesting to read in the jsonline blog that Peterson is encouraging movement in the deliveries. I wonder if this is that same unique approach that the A's pitchers always had, where they lifted their lead leg and hands at the same time. They are the only team I've seen where most of their home-grown pitches throw with the same--and in this case, unique--motion

Suppan doesn't need to be fixed. He had a sub 4 ERA last year, except for ther games he pitched through injury, before his DL stay and his last couple starts, when he could not swing a bat and had to bunt every PA. I see him as the same pitcher he's been for ages.

Suppan doesn't need to be fixed. He had a sub 4 ERA last year, except for ther games he pitched through injury, before his DL stay and his last couple starts, when he could not swing a bat and had to bunt every PA. I see him as the same pitcher he's been for ages.
So basically in the games that he wasn't terrible, he had a sub 4 E.R.A.? Any regular in the majors would look good if you dropped their worst 1/3 or so games. I'm not buying the fact that Suppan was physically injured anyway. Let's face it, Suppan was one of the worst, if not the worst starting pitcher in baseball last year, and in my opinion, he can not be fixed due to his age and lack of physical talent.

Suppan was one of the worst, if not the worst starting pitcher in baseball last year, and in my opinion, he can not be fixed due to his age and lack of physical talent.

And yet he was the 2nd best starter on the team last year. Suppan is not a good pitcher but he really is nowhere near as bad as people try to make him out to be. However Suppan was not as good in 2009 as he was most of 2008 and all of 2007. In those seasons he was still going 7+ innings 1 out of 3 starts. Last year he almost never made it 7 innings and was struggling to get through the lineup a 3rd time much more than the previous years. If he pitches like last year again this year he should be dropped from the rotation, if he pitches like 2007/2008 he shouldn't be.

He looked like he was pitching hurt. Remember how he would put his hand on his hip and stretch his back a lot? I wouldn't mind him gone, but I think a guy should get credit for pitching not completely healthy rather than dinged for it.

What gets me is the guy looks kind of doughy. Maybe I'm wrong and he's more fit than I think, but I wonder what would have happened if he really came into camp with his fitness kicked up a notch.

Formerly AKA Pete

If you just take out his bottom starts with no correlation, it would be pointless. However, he pitched hurt, had to be DL'd, and then pitched poorly at the conclusion of the season, when he bunted or just took pitches every time up. Ignoring the facts gives you weak data. If he simply would have said he was injured, which I know is rare in baseball, his numbers would have been nearly identical to his previous few years.

With endaround's post in front of you, when do you think Soup was hurt dadofandrew? I agree with the sentiment that he was not as bad as people make him out to be, but he is also in serious decline. Even if he was healthy all last year, I would have expected an ERA over 5. He seems to be in decline since coming to the Brewers which is to be expected. His one value could have still been to eat innings at an average clip, but now he can't even stay healthy.

Was he hurt at the start of the season too? I don't know how you can say this unless you think he was hurt in every game he pitched poorly. And despite the low ERA in those games, he was still giving up plenty of hits and BBs.

If you look at his game logs and take a look at the game score rankings you'll see that he was pretty consistently worse last year than in 07/08 so it was more than just an injury. His best games weren't as good and his worst game were worse.

Suppan was one of the worst, if not the worst starting pitcher in baseball last year, and in my opinion, he can not be fixed due to his age and lack of physical talent.

And yet he was the 2nd best starter on the team last year. Suppan is not a good pitcher but he really is nowhere near as bad as people try to make him out to be. However Suppan was not as good in 2009 as he was most of 2008 and all of 2007. In those seasons he was still going 7+ innings 1 out of 3 starts. Last year he almost never made it 7 innings and was struggling to get through the lineup a 3rd time much more than the previous years. If he pitches like last year again this year he should be dropped from the rotation, if he pitches like 2007/2008 he shouldn't be.

Wasn't Suppan the worst pitcher in the Majors last season who pitched more then 160IP? I can't remember where I heard that..
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Suppan is a pitch to contact pitcher who must have great control of his pitches, good movement, and a great defense behind him. Health, improved defense, and perhaps new tricks from the pitching coach could help him salvage the last year of his big contract. Am I expecting him to be an ace, heck no...but could he be a .500 pitcher and hold down that #5 spot for us? You bet. We're going to have to pay the contract either way, let' see if we can't get some value out of him yet.

Archived