Brewer Fanatic

2010 Injuries: Cliff Lee (SEA) to 15-day DL, Berkman (HOU) expected back from DL 4/10

TooLiveBrew

I might be overreacting, but I'm concerned about Gamel. His shoulder soreness has persisted, and the thought is he didn't give himself enough time off. He will be out "a few more days"

Gamel also missed time last spring with a sore throwing shoulder -- he says this injury is different
Link
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 4 weeks later...

M's Cliff Lee to 15-day DL with abdominal strain -- Link

Lee is still only throwing on flat ground, which he did Sunday morning on a windy, chilly day at the San Francisco Giants' AT&T Park under the close watch of athletic trainer Rick Griffin. The Mariners open the season Monday across the bay against the Oakland Athletics.

"The first time he threw he still felt it so we backed off. There's no timetable. We're taking baby steps right now. He has to get his pitch count back up and we hope there's progress without reinjuring it. He'll throw off a mound in a couple of days."[Don Wakamatsu said]

A couple older ones I missed (hooray for The Disabled List Informer returning!)...

After aggravating his left knee running the bases, Lance Berkman underwent arthroscopic right knee surgery this week to remove "loose cartilage." There was no damage to the ligaments or to the meniscus cartilage, which is obviously a plus, but having to debride the articular cartilage is not a great sign going forward, especially at age 34. This is the cartilage that protects the underlying bone. With a 2 to 4 week return forecasted, this was likely a minor debridement.

Link

And some follow-up on Berkman...

Swelling happens after knee surgeries. Especially within the first couple of weeks after a surgery. Especially when you try to run on a freshly-scoped knee (surgery was only in mid-March).

I’m not going to sit here and tell you that increased swelling in his knee is good news, because it is not. All I’m saying is that Berkman probably should not have been running just yet. He could have waited a couple of weeks and the knee probably would have responded more appropriately. Typical rehab progression after a cartilage debridement or chondroplasty wouldn’t have the person jogging for around 4 weeks. Standard.

Even Berkman himself didn’t seem surprised that it would swell, stating ”Yesterday was the most I’d done on it yet, so I don’t think it’s entirely unexpected to have it react that way. It’s disappointing. I was hoping it wouldn’t swell back up.”

He is eligible to come off the DL on April 10th, and I would expect that he will be able to.

Huston Street experiencing shoulder pain...

Huston Street has been shut down until at least mid-May due to shoulder pain and stiffness. He had not thrown since March 11th (previously shut down on February 26th as well) in hope that rest would alleviate his symptoms, but this was not the case. Street was previously reported to have said he would pitch through the pain, but today’s news is that Street will give way to Franklin Morales to start the season.

When three different MRIs show no real damage, the question arises: “Where is the pain coming from?” Compounding the issue is the fact that MRIs are not always accurate. The answer is never easy. In fact, many times shoulder pain can be present without anything being torn or seriously injured.

Many things can cause shoulder pain, such as: shoulder instability/laxity, motor control deficits (improper contraction sequencing/timing of the rotator cuff and/or Scapular stabilizers), muscle weakness, postural deficits, tightness of surrounding muscles, etc. The list can be exhaustive, and the reason for the pain can be due to multiple factors.

Chances are, if after another month/month and a half of rest and rehab there and there is no progress, that something more may need to be done. While I am not saying he will need this, exploratory surgeries are last ditch efforts to find out if anything is wrong when all other tests are negative.

Link

Archived