Brewer Fanatic

Dave Bush

We will need at least 7 starters this year. More likely closer to 9 or 10. It makes little sense to get rid of Bush, Suppan, Parra or any other starting pitcher until we have a few guys in the minors show they can pitch.
Logan, I agree that we need all the depth we can get. However, we only have so many spots on the roster and most of our major league-ready guys are out of options. As I said, I'd guess someone will go into the season with some form of injury that will put them on the DL/minor league rehab list, allowing us to keep everyone. However, if our pitchers remain healthy through the spring, we have too many bodies for the number of available roster spots. I doubt we put two of Bush/Parra/Narveson/Suppan into the 'pen. Therefore, if we manage to remain healthy, we need to get rid of one pitcher. In that case, my choice would be to trade Suppan for a mid-tier prospect and salary relief. I might change my mind if we could get a decent AAA starter for Bush, as that would give us some necessary depth, but if the return is similar to what we'd get for Suppan, I'd much rather trade Suppan for salary relief and keep Bush, Narveson and Parra.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

We don't need to get rid of a pitcher. Gallardo, Wolf, Davis, Parra and Bush as starters. Hoffman, Hawkins, Coffey, Vargas, Suppan, Narveson, Stetter as the pen. Villanueva optioned to AAA. Stetter can also go to AAA to make room if we want somebody else instead. Ideally we would want to have decent starters in AAA to keep them stretched out, but getting rid of one would be a huge mistake.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

That is a very novel concept. I didn't even think about the idea of optioning Stetter to AAA and keeping Narveson in the 'pen as the occasional LOOGy (especially with 3 lefties in our rotation). However, does Soup have any value out of the 'pen? Something tells me it would be both Bush and Narveson to the 'pen. I just really hope Bush stays. He's the Rickie Weeks of the pitching staff.

However, does Soup have any value out of the 'pen?

He will not likely earn his contract in any way this year. I think most would agree on that. As the long man he would get low leverage situations and be ready to start when needed. I think Bush is the better pitcher but the difference, especially over a partial season, is minor.

If Stetter was to go down I think that would mean Riske is healthy or Schoenwise makes the team. I would hate to see Narveson or Parra as the LOOGY since I think it would be a detriment when we would need them to start again.

It would be nice is some of our starting candidates would have options. Sadly they do not.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived